• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need help with recreating smooth photoshop brush!

New Here ,
Oct 10, 2023 Oct 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to recreate this smooth, flowing brush I downloaded from the internet. It has a perfect gradience, and smooth edges. I for some reason cannot recreate it using all types of transparency gradience. Maybe its not the shape but the settings? Anyone with really good understanding of custom brush design could guide me on what I am doing wrong?
brush.jpg
I have attached an image of the original and my attempt at recreating it.
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 17, 2023 Oct 17, 2023

Whoops, I forgot to say that with Color Dynamics, you need to set Foreground and Background colours to something other than black and white.  The brighter and more saturated the better.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 17, 2023 Oct 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @heximatv go to your brush settings and turn your "smoothing" setting all the way down. Default is 20.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Start with a fully hard round brush with opacity 100% and space set to 1%

In Shape Dynamics set Size Jitter > Control to 200 (you can try different values later).

On a new layer hold down the Shift key, click and drag up.

That will produce the stroke below.  If it is any longer, check spacing is at 1%.

OK, Define a new brush preset.

image.png

That will create a stroke something like this.  Keep spacing low, 1% — 5%

image.png

Jazz it up a bit by setting size jitter to Pressure.

image.png

Lets go crazy:

In Scattering set Count to 5

in Color Dynamics (Note: Apply Per Tip is a good one to remember as it is make or break with a lot of brush settings.)

image.png

image.png

Back in Shape Dynamics, Angle Jitter is a good one to play with.  Try adding so Scatter Jitter to this.

image.png

And one that is not going to work particularly well with this particular preset, Angle Jitter to Direction.

image.png

It worked better than I expected.  I think because Count is set quite high.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Whoops, I forgot to say that with Color Dynamics, you need to set Foreground and Background colours to something other than black and white.  The brighter and more saturated the better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines