• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need to improve procedure in deleting a selection so I don't get a ring of pixels around border

Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2022 Jan 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am deleting portions of the background of photographs around a subject. I want to view the subject against a plain, uniform background. so I make a lasso selection around the background behind the subject and hit delete. The background disappears, leaving a blank space, usually white. With the selection still active I select Fill, and chose a fill color. The blank space fills nicely with the desired color. But all around the selection remains a ring of white pixels. I have tried hitting Grow multiple times before deleting the content of the selection, but that does nothing to get rid of the ring of white pixels, very visible at magnification.  I could use the clone tool to clone out the ring, but you can imagine what kind of time commitment that is. Is there any way to make a selection within a photograph, and replace the selected area with a fill color, without leaving a ring around the selection? Thanks. I am using the most recent CC version of PS, on Monterey OS 12.01. 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW, when I am facing the above problem I have no layers open. Just the photograph as imported from the card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I usually modify the selection by one or two pixels: Select menu > Modify > Expand or Contract to catch those stray pixels before doing anything else.

Those two options work well for me, but check the others in the Modify submenu to see if they work better for you.

See if that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's happening because of the anti-alias setting being checked when you make the selection. This would be normally what you want for a nice smooth-looking selection, but it does affect the fill as you have seen, as the edge pixels will be partially transparent allowing the white background to show a bit.

Expanding the selection by a pixel or two, as suggested by gener7, before you do the fill would help, but may encroach on your subject .

What would be a btter way is to make sure your photo is on a new layer (i.e. not background), delete your selection so it's "clear" (better yet, make it a mask so you can tweak it if necessary), then add a layer beneath filled with your desired background colour.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines