• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

No lossless ZIP compression of TIFF files anymore in PS?

Explorer ,
May 03, 2023 May 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Macbook Pro M1 and use LR together with PS to process my images. They come from Sony A7R5, I save originally lossless raw (60-70 MB/image) plus jpg standard (1-2 MB/image)...

The problem comes, when I edit in PS, directly out of LR. When I close the edited file, in order to come back to LR, I store the new file in TIFF format. I remember in previous versions of PS there was the option to save uncompressed or compressed (among compressed versions there was the lossless ZIP format)...

Now the only option I see is to embed the color profile or not, but there are no options for compression (out of the "save as" submenue). Accordingly the files have 250-350 MB, what I find a bit oversized (I have 2TB od SSD plus 20TB of NAS, but no inclination to waste storage space) ...

How can I set an option for ZIP compression?

Thanks, Wolfgang

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @WS007 when you click through the save format does this window show on the second screen?

kevinstohlmeyer_0-1683130150109.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now the only option I see is to embed the color profile or not, but there are no options for compression (out of the "save as" submenue).

By @WS007

Can you share a screenshot of the dialog box you are seeing?

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for the response Kevin. unfortunately this window does not show up (on none of the two screens, also not behind another application)...

Wolfgang

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jane,

Here is s screenshot (now in the "legacy" mode...

Screenshot 2023-05-03 at 18.17.16.png

I have to go now, will continue tomorrow...

Wolfgang

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I rememeber this window: this was exactly what was showing up in previous versions (but I also had an oly EM1II then)...

Wolfgang

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @WS007 hit save on that window and the second window I shared will show.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The window I shared is a secondary window that appears once you hit Save in your first window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using Edit in Photoshop with Lightroom, Tiff files are saved according to what you have set up in LR's external editing preferences. (Preferences > External editing)

LR-external.png

When saving the file in PS, there should be no save dialog. Just press Cmd + S, and the file will appear in LR.

If a Save dialog appears, you are probably using Save As, which is not necessary, or recommended.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you buy a 60MP camera, you pretty much disqualify yourself from complaining about file sizes, wouldn't you say?

😉

In any case, zip compression hardly makes a dent in file sizes. This is a file from an a7r v. The extra layers in the last four are one pixel layer and two adjustment layers:

file-sizes.png

I can't see how the significant extra open/save times are worth it.

Note that you should not attempt LZW compression for 16 bit files (if you have considered that). LZW was developed for 8 bit data and will not work as intended with 16 bit data. In most cases, it will increase file size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 04, 2023 May 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, I thank you all for the great input that helps me to see the problem clearer now...

When I save the TIFF file directly out of PS (without LR), I cannot see the dialog box described by Kevin (and that I used to see in previous, non Sony A7R5 days also). I thinbk now that this options are just not available in the file format that I am using at present...

As Per pointed out, that when using PS out of LR, one has to adjust the file type and compression in LR settings (I had forgotten this already). I discovered that I already had set the option here to ZIP (16 bit/component, 240 dpi). The file sizes for the circular fisheye image below are: RAW: 63,9 MB; TIFF (ZIP): 202,4 MB and TIFF (uncompressed): 361,3 MB...

4Adobe.jpg

It seems I have already the best settings and cannot reduce the TIFF file size any more, unless I loose IQ (what I do not indtend to do). It is just the TIFF file format that blows up the file size so enourmously...

Wolfgang

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 04, 2023 May 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
It is just the TIFF file format that blows up the file size so enourmously

By @WS007

TIFF doesn't "blow up" the file size. A TIFF is the native size for that file - so many bytes per channel per pixel. Multiply that by 60 megapixels, and that's the size you get. Anything smaller is compression, with or without data loss.

The problem with compression - even when non-destructive - is that it's very CPU-intensive, and it extends open and save times by orders of magnitude. Ten seconds can become two minutes! Again, the size of these files only makes that more urgent. With smaller files, that extra time wouldn't matter so much. But here it will. You'll soon get tired of waiting.

I use an a7r v myself, and I didn't buy that camera for small files. You need to be realistic. What you need is a strategy for expanding disk space as you go.

In short, there is no free lunch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines