• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Not able to save any files in Photoshop says that I don't have permission and files are locked

Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2019 Dec 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could not save “88580009.psd” because the file is locked, you do not have necessary access permissions, or another program is using the file. Use the ‘Get Info’ command in the Finder to ensure the file is unlocked and you have permission to access the file. If the problem persists, save the document to a different file or duplicate it in the Finder.

I keep receiving this error trying to save a file I have the most up-to-date creative cloud and a brand new Mac pro running the newest software.

These files aren't locked and I have permission granted I need help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Hi, for me this problem was causing a too long path to the final folder. I have my structure with the client, email, subfolders for project, sub sub folders etc .... and when this is too long Photoshop will give me this error with permission. How I did find out? I tried to copy past some other files to that export folder (where photoshop couldnt) using windows explorer and I got an error message that path is too long. So what I did is I shortened the main folder name and then photoshop could exp

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version are you using? if you are using 2020 are you saving it to Cloud Documents?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The newest version of CC, I just updated today. 

I am saving to computer, nothing is locked and I am logged in as admin....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to figure it out. Could be something on your system. I will Uninstall . and Install again. If it does not work you need to reach out to Adobe Tech Support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I uninstall?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't do that. Its a permissions issue just like the error message told you. Where are you saving the files to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are on Catalina, permissions problems are common. Google "Catalina permissions."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Saving to my computer hard disk, this is not solved and driving me up the wall. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to be only in Adobe......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 12, 2019 Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2020 Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue for PC.

Updated Adobe and now I can't save in it. Trying to save a template file as the update seemed to delete all my saved templates and I'm just getting "contact the administrator to obtain permission" 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2020 Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the exact same circumstances. The second link provided in Lumigraphics reply worked perfectly for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is driving me up the wall too. It does not do it all the time, but randomly and, usually, when I am needing to print something urgently (so frustrating). I am NOT using Catalina, so it's not the new permissions problem that everyone has been getting. I am running OS 10.6.8 (because it's the latest my MacPro can get) and using Photoshop CS5. The error varies between not allowing me to save, to not allowing to print. Each time, I have to save the file to a different location and then open it in preview or some other app and it then prints fine. It seems like it's ONLY Photoshop that does this, I get no such errors from Indesign or ANY other program. Rebooting the computer often solves the problem, but since it takes a good 25 minutes to do this, it's not a practical solution. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, for me this problem was causing a too long path to the final folder. I have my structure with the client, email, subfolders for project, sub sub folders etc .... and when this is too long Photoshop will give me this error with permission. How I did find out? I tried to copy past some other files to that export folder (where photoshop couldnt) using windows explorer and I got an error message that path is too long. So what I did is I shortened the main folder name and then photoshop could export again. 

I hope this will help some of you.

Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update, you can change in windows 10 settings to unlimited length of the path:

https://www.howtogeek.com/266621/how-to-make-windows-10-accept-file-paths-over-260-characters/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2023 May 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had the same problem. I had to change permissions on the entire folder I was trying to save the file to. Changing permissions on just the file itself did not work. I changed everything to read and write for that folder and I can save now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines