• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Official description of Alt + Delete + Backspace command

Participant ,
Feb 19, 2018 Feb 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am searching for an explanation, in Adobe's official Photoshop vocabulary, of what the Alt + Delete + Backspace command does in the following sequence.  I've searched Adobe and the net and cannot find it.  Can anyone give me a reference for this?

• Open a black and white PNG file.
  • Make the foreground color black.
  • In the Channels panel, Ctrl-click on the RGB thumbnail.
  • Select > Inverse.
  • Create a new empty layer.
  • Hold down Alt + Delete and then quickly press the Backspace key.
  • The result is the creation in the empty layer of a transparency of the original file:  white areas are made transparent; grey areas become semi-transparent; pure black areas remain black.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Enthusiast ,
Feb 19, 2018 Feb 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From this Adobe help document: Default keyboard shortcuts in Adobe Photoshop​:

shortcut.jpg

Honestly, I'm not sure the second backspace is necessary, since Alt + Backspace fills the selection with the foreground color, which is, I believe, what you're after. I know there was a bug in CC2018 which necessitated the second backspace, but that was corrected in an update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 20, 2018 Feb 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting technique.

I followed the instructions up to Select > Inverse.

I made the selected layer a floating layer and placed the transparent layer under it, selected it, then Opt/Alt Backspace to get the result.

Mainly because the Mac just has a Delete key.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 21, 2018 Mar 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I need to correct what I just stated for 2012 Macbook Pro laptops.

On the Mac, the Delete key acts like the Windows Backspace key where the character to the left is removed.

However pressing Fn + Delete on the Mac causes the Delete key to act like the Delete key in Windows where the character to the right is removed for each key combo press.

There are differences depending on model year and keyboard configuration, but the equivalent of the Windows Backspace and Delete keys are there.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines