• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Once again after updating Photoshop, it decides to take 16 seconds to open a 101KB PNG file?

Engaged ,
Dec 28, 2020 Dec 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've done all the usual diagnostics:

1.  Reset Preference

2.  Disable GPU acceleration

3.  Disabled compression 

4.  Add AntiVirus exceptions for all locations of Adobe programs and data files

5.  No plugins installed/enabled

etc. etc. 

Opening the same 101KB PNG file with Windows 10 built in Paint application takes less than 1 second (so fast I can't really even time it).  Opening the exact same file in Photoshop 22.1 and it takes 16 seconds????

Please don't even start to go down the road of "it's hardware" ... it's NOT.  Again the "FREE" MS Paint opens the same file in less than 1 second.  

Again, this issue ONLY started happening after update to Photoshop 22.x.

I'm getting rather annoyed and sick of these repeat Photoshop update problems and VERY slow performance post update on a system more than capable ... 7900X CPU, 128GB RAM, fast nVME M.2 drives, nVidia Titan, Windows 10 (10.0.19042).

And don't start down the road of Re-install your OS, re-install Adobe, etc. ... not going to happen as every other application I have on my PC works FAST and efficient, it's just ADOBE that doesn't.

Is there any diagnostic switch or debug switch I can enable (command line or otherwise) that will provide of log so I can start to see where Adobe PS is failing to perform?

Rob.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2021 Jan 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just about everything is slower since this update. Startup, opening files, even changing text colors - there's an obvious lag and it's annoying. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How much RAM and spare disk capacity do you have?

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/system-requirements.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I listed my RAM and hardware specs in my original post?  128GB RAM, 9TB available.

Does Adobe hire any Quality Assurance people at all?  If so, do they actually test different combinations of hardware or do they just send testing scripts of to under paid 3rd world institutions to save a buck? 

I know Adobe staff actually do monitor these forums contratary to popular believe (I know because I've been contacted by Adobe Staff before with performance issues and engaged with an actual engineer).

This is really getting annoying and as a long time customer who's paid and paid and paid over the decades, I'm losing my patience with Adobe's QA or lack of.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are absolutely right. 

I am not a technical person but I have a sneaking suspicion this is all to do with background processes and bloat and monitoring usage and data collection etc.... again I dont know for sure but it seems the same way google work... always a lag while they gather as much info on you as posdible before returning a search request... 

Just a hunch

But older versions were so responsive and reliable tou didn't even think about it. I believe Wibdows 10 is also part of the problem with much the same reasons and I think there is probably a lit of background stuff that can be pinpointed and turned off... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although, like all software, there are bugs in Photoshop, we invariably find it's a system issue when things aren't working correctly.

I suggest you unistall Photoshop, using the drop-down menu in the Creative Cloud app, and reinstall it again. If that doesn't solve the problem then unistall it again and then run Adobe Cleaner before reinstalling Photoshop again.

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll disagree with you Derek, it's not a "systems" issue ... prior to 22 update no performance issues with opening a simple PNG.  This isn't rocket science, 16 seconds to open a simple small PNG is a code problem with Adobe, not a "systems" issue.  

With due respect, I'm a long time software engineer by profession (34+ years), many years experience with coding applications for use in the public sector.

I had tried uninstall and re-install prior to posting, I'll check to see what the "LogCollectorTool" reports.  My hunch is Adobe added some "checking" feature that scans all my hard drives and if one of them is in sleep mode then Adobe is waiting for a timeout event before proceeding with opening my requested file. 

The reason I suggest this is because the 16 second delay ONLY happens on the first file load, once Adobe PS has one PNG file loaded, subsequent PNG files load in less than 1 second.  The only way to work around this problem is to keep PS open all the time which is NOT desirable.  There is no VALID reason Adobe should be scanning all my hard drives when the file path is already known ... this is MOST definitely a coding problem on Adobe's side.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My prime suspect would be, again, the video driver. That's usually where the biggest impact is in a new PS version compared to the previous, because of added GPU-resident functions. Photoshop development has been really focused on the GPU lately.

Most people seem to think it's "bloat" in the form of background services. I've never seen anything to support that.

FWIW, I timed my own system opening a similar small PNG. That's an i7-9700K / 32 GB / NVMe / QuadroP600:

From cold system startup, first Photoshop launch: 12 seconds.

Second Photoshop launch: 8 seconds.

With Photoshop already open: less than 1/2 second.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using a GPU to decompress a PNG file on load?  A GPU driver issue would be consistent on every image load, not just the first time a image is loaded.

Anyway, your experience is the same as mine and I'm 99% sure this is a bug that I hope Adobe address ... within the next 2-3 years ... seems to be about the normal timeframe between bug and fix for Adobe as they go thru layers and layers and layers of denial and ignore and eventually "sell the fix" as a revelation in performance rather than fix a bug they created.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Using a GPU to decompress a PNG file on load?"

That's not the point. It's about testing and error-checking the driver on startup, quite a complex procedure. There's a component called GPUsniffer that runs on every startup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not PS startup ... do the following quick test:

1.  Start PS

2.  Wait 30-60 seconds (more than enough time for startup/GPUSniffer)

3.  In PS click Open button and select a PNG file

4.  I still wait 16 seconds (or so) for the image to display

If GPUsniffer is the problem and it runs at PS startup, then I should have NO 16 sec delay from the test above as I provided GPUsniffer able time to complete before I attempted to load an image.

It could very well be a DRM change in Adobe's code that's causing this problem ... i.e. scanning my local (and/or network) drives to see if the installed drives match a saved signature.  I think this is the more likely problem and if it is indeed a change in DRM then it's unlikely Adobe will address this problem at all.  Leaving us legitimate paying customers having to suffer their slow and flawed DRM process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 03, 2021 Jan 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then I misunderstood. You're saying it takes 16 seconds to open a PNG when Photoshop is already open? I thought you meant cold start of the whole application.

Opening a PNG takes less than 1/2 second here. So it's not a general v22 problem, but a specific problem in your configuration. Sorry I can't be more helpful, but perhaps it's possible to narrow it down eventually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 03, 2021 Jan 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, when PS is already open, my very first attempt (and only my first attempt) to open a PNG file will take 16 seconds.  Subsequent attempts (2,3,4, ... n)  to open a PNG files are milliseconds so long as I keep PS open.

I don't understand how you can say it's not a "general v22 problem" just because YOU aren't having this problem? 

Every PC will likely be a different configuration, that's why we programmers code knowing the world of variances and hence why we developers have quality assurance groups that use a wide variety of "configurations" ... that's typically how most software engineering testing is performed.

BUT, to be very clear, my "Configuration" hasn't changed from V21 to V22 ... the ONLY change is coming from the developers at Adobe, not me.  

I'll be perfectly honest, it gets tiring and time consuming to keep fighting these battles with a repeatable problem that Adobe takes YEARS to finally address and fix.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines