• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Open pop-up dialog boxes in the same screen as main Photoshop window.

Explorer ,
May 13, 2018 May 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I've been working with Photoshop for many years now, but one thing i have still not figured out is how to stick those little pop-up option boxes / dialog boxes

in the same screen where my Photoshop is opened. You see - i have multiple screens and sometimes i drag my main app to the other monitor but all those

little option screens appear on the other one where the app was originally launched.

For example. I have two monitors.  I launch PS on monitor 1. Then i drag it to the 2nd monitor. When i press ctrl+L for levels (or any other), that levels dialog box opens on the 1st monitor. Once i drag that levels box to the 2nd monitor, it stays there, but every other is still off screen and i have to drag them as well one-by-one.

My main question is, is there a way to stick all those dialog boxes to the main working monitor, where my Photoshop is currently open, regardless where it was originally launched?

Btw, i'm working on Win 10 if it matters and the latest PS update.

Thanks!

Rauno

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's hard to imagine how that would work. How would this be implemented with two displays of very different resolution, like one 4K and one 2K or less? That's a very common scenario. Even if that doesn't apply to you, any practical implementation would have to accommodate this.

Besides, I suspect this is determined by the operating system, not the application. Opening a dialog where it was last closed is something of a paradigm on Windows at least. It's just something we all expect and take for granted. Do you know of any applications that behave this way?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Thanks for the answer. I don't know how it should work, but it would be pretty darn useful. I'm just an end user, not a software developer.

If i remember correct, i had the same issues when i worked on Mac. Haven't tried PS under Linux.

Some programs do work like that. I had think very hard and open up some programs just to confirm, because when it woks, then you don't notice that. It feels natural and behavior is totally expected. But you only notice that when it does not work as you might expect.

Here are few... Allegorithmic products, Foundry Mari. Every dialog box stays on the same screen. Probably there is more, but i guess there's no point to make long list of those. In fact, in my experience only Adobe and Autodesk programs behave in the other way.

Anyhow...  Help -> About Photoshop CC and right click brush panel manages to stay on working display : )

I don't know.. maybe a button that says "make this my main display" does the trick or open shortkey-ed dialog boxes next to your cursor. Or if you have dragged one box to another display, then the next one opens at the same place. Most of the time you would want next dialog box to be opened at the same spot where the last one was. I can't even think of any other scenarios when this is not the case. Krita (free PS alternative in some extent) and Affinity seems to have it with filter boxes, other ones appear always on-screen.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't true at all, because Windows manages applications scaling just fine. I have a 4k display as my main display, and I have a 22" 1080p Pen Tablet display for drawing. 

When you drag photoshop or any diaglogue box to the other window the window is scaled down to the correct scaling for that resolution.  So scaling like that wouldn't need to be implemented. 

Every other application opens up dialogue boxes, and warning boxes etc. on the same window as the original application window, in fact they tend to open all those warning central to the main window. Even windows apps, like explorer, so it's not as if it's an odd function, or non standard. If you have multiple displays and open up an explorer window in each, and then try to delete a folder or file, the confirmation dialogue box opens in the centre of the explorer window you're deleting in. So why is that Adobe cannot do this. Why do they open on the "main" or "default" display, when the original window is not. It's silly, non standard and shouldn't work like that in the first instance. I agree that the same dialogue box will open up where ever it was closed last, but that should happen after it's closed for the first time, and should in the first instance open up central to the original window. And not like adobe open up on the main display, every time I start an adobe program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 20, 2018 Dec 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For a dual screen system, include this code to open a dialog box/ palette on the 'other' screen:

box.onShow = function ( ) {

var boundsWidth = box.bounds.width;

var boundsHeight = box.bounds.height;

boxDisplay = $.screens.length - 1;    // The 'other' screen

boxLeft =  $.screens [ boxDisplay ].left + x;    // Where 'x' is a number representing the required offset from the left of the screen

boxTop = $.screens [ boxDisplay ].top + y;    // Where 'y' is a number representing the required offset from the top of the screen

box.bounds.x  = boxLeft;

box.bounds.y  = boxTop;

box.bounds.width  = boundsWidth;

box.bounds.height  = boundsHeight;

};

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2019 Jan 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Grimbaldus  wrote

For a dual screen system, include this code to open a dialog box/ palette on the 'other' screen:

box.onShow = function ( ) {

var boundsWidth = box.bounds.width;

var boundsHeight = box.bounds.height;

boxDisplay = $.screens.length - 1;    // The 'other' screen

boxLeft =  $.screens [ boxDisplay ].left + x;    // Where 'x' is a number representing the required offset from the left of the screen

boxTop = $.screens [ boxDisplay ].top + y;    // Where 'y' is a number representing the required offset from the top of the screen

box.bounds.x  = boxLeft;

box.bounds.y  = boxTop;

box.bounds.width  = boundsWidth;

box.bounds.height  = boundsHeight;

};

Where would one add this code?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the calling function, so available to the .show command.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick answer!

Editing Photoshop like this is new to me, so I appreciate the help.

Which script would I have to make this edit in?

I am looking to control this behaviour in the inbuilt Photoshop panels like New and Duplicate Layer, not a script of my own.

However I have no idea where to find these scripts/functions.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 16, 2019 Jan 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah!  They're part and parcel of the app, so not amenable to editing.  You would need to script the functionality yourself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever manage to get this sorted  Raunos2566538? It's driving me nuts when the dialogue box is always buried behind ten other windows!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The way I manage this is by creating a custom workspace. As long as you check the option for "Menus", it will save the last known position of the menus. So if you pull up the color picker, close it, then save the workspace with Menus checked, it will save the position of the color picker whenever you use that workspace.

To overwrite your custom workspace with new window positions, click "New Workspace" and enter the same name as your custom workspace and it will let you overwrite it.

Hope that helps! I was struggling with it, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info. I'll give it a go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2021 Mar 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't work like that. The pop-ups will still continue in the same position if Win + Shift + Left/Right arrow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2023 Jan 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect fix; short explanation w/ an immediate fix. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 30, 2021 Aug 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would love a solution to this as well. With any Adobe product, would be great to have an option to force it to open dialogues in the same screen the application is currently in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2021 Oct 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem with my tripple monitor setup. 

I kind of have a solution that works for me...when I open a function box (eg. Ctrl +L for level adjustments) it opens up on a different monitor than my photoshop screen. But if I set my work monitor as my main display in Windows display settings (through right clicking anywhere on my windows desktop) it'll pop up in the correct place.

Hope this helps 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2023 Feb 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has worked for me 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 31, 2022 Jan 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't believe this stuff is still not fixed. What the heck are you waiting for such a basic request Adobe?
Make Photoshop pop-up windows pop on the right screen, just like Illustrator does for fak sakes!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2023 Mar 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah. they are f*cking useless. i work on 4 screens , pretty big, and the cintiq is off on the side - then i am basically gridlocked because the godda*n dialog box for *oh deeerrr what kind on png do u want to save deeerrr* box is on there on the very left one.

useless. get your sh*t together adobe please for christs sake please

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines