• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[OT] Windows Update Broke My Computer Warning

Community Expert ,
Dec 12, 2023 Dec 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not directly relevant to this forum, but I suspect a good few of us use multiple screens, so I am going to pass on that today's Windows 11 update broke my display driver.  The system was booting and I could see the mouse cursor and the keyboard was scrolling through it's LED light colours, but all three screens were otherwise black, and and almost nothing was responding.   

I could see that Shift Ctrl Windows key B was causing the display drivers to do some sort of reset, but still left all screens black, so with that in mind I disconnected two of the screens, and it booted OK.  I was able to reconnect one of the screens and still boot, but connecting the third broke it again.

Reinstalling the display driver got everything working.

image.png

So just a wee heads uup incase anyone here runs into the same issue.

I am using Windows 11 and an RTX4080

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Dec 13, 2023 Dec 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the heads up!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just another reason why I'm still happy on Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I'm sticking with Windows 10 for now too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 14, 2023 Dec 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Trevor.Dennis I updated Windows 11 today and didn't have any issues with my multiple displays or the Nvidia driver for my RTX 3090, I did noticed that the update seem to take longer than normal but my PC rebooted just fine after the update

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which update Trevor? Here, Windows 11 22H2 updated to OS build 2261.2861 earlier this week without any issues

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is the one that caused it.    It initially seemed to update OK, but the restart left me with three black screens but I could see the cursor.  I switched to this arrangement a few months ago, and I am preferring it to having both periferal screens in portrait mode. 

image.png

One of the clues that this was display driver related was that the orientation of the right hand screen had broken.  Windows suddenly thought that the right screen was the main screen, and that it was in landscape mode.  When that penny dropped, it was an obvious step to revert to a single screen, and having then got my OS back it was plain sailing from there.

One thing that I didn't manage to work out was how to boot into Safe Mode with Windows 11.  I had Chris' computer next to me, so was able to Google the information, but none of it was responding.  I had no problem getting into the BIOS but I couldn't into Windows Recovery.

image.png

I think I am getting too old to be messing with this stuff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines