Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Overwriting files on action

New Here ,
Jul 12, 2020 Jul 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone,

I've been trying to figure out a way to execute an action that will rename my file but it keeps overwriting the file with each new photo and action due to the name...

I was wondering if there is any way around it. I only need to save 1 photo at the time so the image process / batch save is not a good solution. Would be helpful if instead of overwriting the file, it will just add _1 / _2 / _3 etc.. as it does on the batch save, 

I've done some reading and I understand some scripting needs to be done? 

Is there another way or any other recommendation? 

Thanks 

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you record the save as step in you action if do not change the file name in the Save as dialog just accept any name the Photoshop fills in.  Then No Name will be recorded into the action step. When you Batch the action The current document will be used for the file name in the save as step you recorded.  If your want more control over file name have no  save in your action and batch it with as script like Image Processor. Scripts can use some logic naming files they will provide you with naming options. 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey JJ , 

Thanks for your reply! 

I need more control over the file names indeed, however saving batch will not be useful.

See, I run a printing business and i have a few actions for different surfaces... The idea is once i bind a saving action, the name of the file will be changed to the specific material needs to be used for production. Therefore saving Batch won't help as even if we work with 10 files ( current documents ) , they won't be all same surface. Its fast pace production as we keep getting more procudtion throughout our workflow in photoshop.

Any idea how could I use the logic saving as  a script with no batch saving but specifically for the current document? 

By the way, the image processor thing slows down our production drastically,. I won't be able to keep closing all windows and use it just for saving 1 file name logically.

Also, I was looking into conditional actions in a sense of changing the file name IF the cropped size of the photo is X, but couldnt find a way of doing it as all the conditional actions are pre-determined. Any ideas ? 

Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you will not be batching all you need do is turn on your actions  saves as steps dialog by checking the box in the left side of the step in the action.  This will make the step interactive  you can name the file any way you want. All the setting you recorded in the action step will be preset into the dialog all you  need do is change the namd and click save.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2020 Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey JJ

Thanks for your reply.

The reason we use action through our production is to save the time of the dialogs. Therefore i wanted to know if there is a way photoshop will automatically rename the file / give it a logic some sort of a number to avoid overwriting.

The dialog thing delays production as there is 1 more steps after renaming the file for the saving - quality preferences .... 

Do you recon some sort of a script could work that out? Actio->save as Tiff ( renamed ) -> If file exists, add _$1$ ' kinda thing and save the file ?

Ive been trying to work out a way to do so. 

Same thing happens with some of my other actions - as I use the same template for different photos process for different designs , so at the moment we just rename the file name ( which is the template name ) manually to avoid overwrite of the former file created with the same template.

What would you recommand ? 

Thanks

Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 13, 2020 Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You could write a script to name the file the want you want them named  using the locic  you code to  generate the name you want.  You would replace the Save AS step in your action with a script step to run your script.  The Script will havs access   to the document contents attributes and can read data from files for addional information if need be it need to come up with the name you want the file to have using the code you write. You have to develop the process it  uses to generate the name you want the output file to have and save the document in the file.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines