• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Photoshop 22.4 - Missing Save as formats from the menu

New Here ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to the mentioned version and the formats dropdown list only shows 3 formats: Photoshop (*.PSD;*.PDD;*.PSDT), *.PSB and TIFF (*.TIF;*.TIFF).

jane-e_0-1620929274567.png

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

If your file contains items that are not supported in your required format (e.g. layers or 16 bits/channel) then the file format is moved to the Save a Copy menu. This was driven by changes in the Mac Operating System, although the changes are applied to both Mac and Windows versions to keep the two aligned.

What's new in Photoshop

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Hi All,

We appreciate your feedback on the recent “Save a Copy” change. To address your concerns, we have created two new options in Photoshop 22.4.2 that will enable both revert to the legacy “Save As” workflow and/or omit the addended “copy” when saving as a copy. These options can be found in the File Saving Options section under Preferences > File Handling.

To quickly summarize, you will now have the option to revert to the legacy “Save As” workflow (from before recent changes) on both macOS

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jul 09, 2023 Jul 09, 2023

Hi all

You may already know that flatted file formats have been relocated from the "Save as" menu option to the "Save as Copy" option in Photoshop. To learn more about this workflow update, please refer to the following quick tip: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/learn-how-to-save-all-file-formats-from-photoshop-s-save-as-dialog-quick-tip/td-p/12933468?cgen=ZFN4FD71&mv=other

Or see this video tutorial link

Hope it helps,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 839 Replies 839
Community Expert ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only file format that Photoshop needs to support is the Photoshopformat. All others may or may not be fully compatible.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, so we have progress. You seem to understand now why it had to change on the Mac side.

So that leaves the other question: why it also had to change on Windows. That's a policy decision, but governed by practical implications. There's a whole vast ecosystem out there with actions, scripts, education and tutorials and so on, people actually make a living from this. You can't just pull the rug from under all that. Not to mention a whole bunch of bi-platform users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you read the finance papers lately? Apple is the biggest corporation in the history of computing. Not saying I like it, but Apple can eat Adobe for breakfast if the thought occurs to them. Let's hope it doesn't.

Besides, 50% of the Photoshop user base is Mac. It's not their fault. Trust me, if we had to live with a segregated Photoshop community, it would be a problem for all of us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, you misunderstand this completely. Saving a jpeg is no problem, Mac or Windows. All the application has to do is chop the file up so that it meets the jpeg specification. 8 bit, flat, no transparency, no alpha channels.

Photoshop can do that just fine. That's what all the other applications do, that seemingly don't have this problem.

But that's not what you want, is it. You want to retain your layers, bit depth, transparency, alpha channels, to go back to later. So you can't just save the original file, that would mean permanently discarding all that data. Trust me, you don't want that.

So you need to save a copy. That's the core of the whole issue.

This is the change in MacOS. You can no longer pass off a copy as an original file. Actually, you could argue that there are good reasons for that, and as a policy, I can accept that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are putting things in my mouth, I do not care about any of that.

By @na59973511

Well, then, you don't have a problem. Your files don't have or need any of these properties (16 bit depth/layers/transparency/alpha channels), so they should already fit in the jpeg specification.  In that case jpeg will appear in the Save As menu and you can just save the old way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not about caring more for one. It's about caring equally for both. And that's how it should be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then Adobe should have Address the Apple problem find a way to overwrite an existing file. I do not think it would hard to delete an existing mac file so Photoshop Save As would create a new File without the " copy".  The way both Mac and PC user would be happy.  Apple users do not want " copy".  Adobe had a brain fart..... and it stinks....

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JJ, they've had over a year to explore all possible solutions. If you think you have a solution that hasn't occurred to the Photoshop engineering team, feel free. In the meantime, this continued ranting serves no sensible purpose. Please stop. There's plenty enough to go around these days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are entitle to your opinion as am I.  I my opinion it is wrong for Adobe to brake users work flows and actions they have been using for years.  Adobe had over a year and they still mess up Photoshop like they have done release after release.  Remember the Line tool,  the transform tool reversed behavior.  Esc commit text change not cancel. Adobe support has a poor track record.  Photoshop's engineering team  has a history of stating work is in progress yet years go by and the reported and acknowledge bugs are not fix.  You have been around but seem to be putting you head underground.  Adobe Photoshop engineering team has also made many good improvement to Photoshop.  Photoshop is a great application. It just not a perfect applications it has too many issues.  IMO Photoshop is on a down hill Path. I sure hope you opinion that my  ranting is useless is wrong.

Adobe should be in charge of Photoshop not Apple  Photoshop is Adobe property.  Mac user do not want ' COPY" either.... They want to replace files.  Not create a new file  with  copy added to the file name. Users do not want different version of an image they want their latest edits in  their jpeg.    Apple has a problem  Mac users do not want  Apple copy change.  The want to be able to update/replace  their jpeg files like PC users can.  If a user wants  version of an image they have no problem saving the image with a new version name.     Uses should be able the edit existing versions not forced to create additional versions.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so much whining...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is their fault. Do you think the other 50% don't matter? This may not be a significant issue on its own, but is just a long list of times Adobe has given Apple preferential treatment at the expense of Windows users. They announced Windows ARM support almost two years ago and we barely have stable lightroom and photoshop, without even a hint of Fresco *which was shown off running*. But the second Apple snaps their fingers, half the suite already has M1 support in a matter of a few months. You don't need to defend them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its NOT a problem, its a security fix. Or maybe we should just ignore security like Microsoft did for years? How did that work out? Do you run anti-virus software on your PC? I don't on my Macs, but on my only PC you bet I do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac users does not want this change eighter.

Let's stand united.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yesterdays update to 22.4.1 did not change Save As/Save a copy.

What you are probably seeing is what was also the case yesterday. If your document contents can be preserved in a jpeg file i.e it has a background layer, no other layers or adjustment layers, no additional channels, no hidden pixels, no transparency  then jpeg will appear in Save As.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Just a little rant)

Now with this philosophy of preventing noobs from losing the original data. How come is it fine to Save as … in a lossy format like jpeg, without forcing a copy?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop always made a copy with Save As to jpeg. That's what people don't understand.

Photoshop just hid that fact from the user, by stripping "-copy" from the filename. That is no longer possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

People do understand it makes a copy behind the scene. That is the way we want it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing has changed. You just have a file that already fits within the narrow jpeg specification. In that case, it appears in Save As because it's not necessary to make a copy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No that is inaccurate .Yesterdays update to 22.4.1 did not change Save As/Save a copy.

What you are probably seeing is what was also the case in 22.4. If your document contents can be preserved in a jpeg file i.e it has a background layer, no other layers or adjustment layers, no additional channels, no hidden pixels, no transparency  then jpeg will appear in Save As.

If it is 16 bit, jpeg 2000 appears in the list but that is not the standard jpeg format

Add a layer and jpeg 2000 and PNG also disappear from Save As  and are available only in Save a Copy

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has made a annoying Photoshop UI change the give many a Photoshop users an issue they have to deal with.  The change is not compatible with previous version Adobe Photoshop UI. operations. Some Action have also been infected by the UI changes.  Script that I have I has tested the use that use Adobe's document Save As method seem to be un effected they still function correctly..

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why Adobe is constantly doing things like this to mess with the core work flow is beyond me. this may be the most ridiculous and pointless update theyve done to date. So irritating

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the VERY LEAST, remove the automatic prompt saying - copy that literally no one ever uses for anything ever, and if they do, they can type it themselves

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@na59973511 That is misleading representation of what has happened and what has been done. Take a read of this:

https://petapixel.com/2021/05/18/photoshops-save-as-function-has-changed-on-mac-heres-why/

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No your explanation was inaccurate and misleading and as you repeatedly insist on marking your own inaccurate answer as correct I am locking this thread - there are plenty of others to follow on the subject

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2021 May 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Everyone,

All of a sudden my Save As function has changed. I can only save as a tiff, psd or psb. I have to click Save as a Copy to get my regular options and it will add "copy" to the file name this way... It's infuriating. 

Been using Photoshop for years, never had this problem. Anyone got a solution? 

What I've tried:
Reinstalled 2 times (last time without keeping prefs)
My file is not too big (1000p x 1000p

Color mode is regular RGB

8 bit channel

If this is a new update... O.o

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines