• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Photoshop 22.4 - Missing Save as formats from the menu

New Here ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to the mentioned version and the formats dropdown list only shows 3 formats: Photoshop (*.PSD;*.PDD;*.PSDT), *.PSB and TIFF (*.TIF;*.TIFF).

jane-e_0-1620929274567.png

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

If your file contains items that are not supported in your required format (e.g. layers or 16 bits/channel) then the file format is moved to the Save a Copy menu. This was driven by changes in the Mac Operating System, although the changes are applied to both Mac and Windows versions to keep the two aligned.

What's new in Photoshop

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Hi All,

We appreciate your feedback on the recent “Save a Copy” change. To address your concerns, we have created two new options in Photoshop 22.4.2 that will enable both revert to the legacy “Save As” workflow and/or omit the addended “copy” when saving as a copy. These options can be found in the File Saving Options section under Preferences > File Handling.

To quickly summarize, you will now have the option to revert to the legacy “Save As” workflow (from before recent changes) on both macOS

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jul 09, 2023 Jul 09, 2023

Hi all

You may already know that flatted file formats have been relocated from the "Save as" menu option to the "Save as Copy" option in Photoshop. To learn more about this workflow update, please refer to the following quick tip: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/learn-how-to-save-all-file-formats-from-photoshop-s-save-as-dialog-quick-tip/td-p/12933468?cgen=ZFN4FD71&mv=other

Or see this video tutorial link

Hope it helps,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 839 Replies 839
Community Expert ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We know Adobe made this dump change because of  apple change the file system in a newer version of Mac OS.  Adobe one upped Apple and created a problem for PC and Mac users. 

If Adobe expand this madness and changes Action and Scripting support to always append a " copy"  when writing flat file from layer documents users will be using Photoshop 2020 till Photoshop 2020 no longer functions on current hardware.   I know for sure I will. I do not see any new feature in Photoshop 2021 that is a great improvement. 

Perhaps in the future there will new new features in photoshop I would go out of my way to use. Right now Neurals filters may have some use but  I do not see one I can not do without.  For me none of them are something I must have. Sky Replacement is not a must have either it may make it easier  but it not that hard to replace sky using Photoshop 2020. Enhanced Cloud storage. I do not use Cloud storage. I only used some because iPad Photoshop only support cloud documents.  iPad Photoshop has no file support you can not save a file with iPad Photoshop. The too much of Photoshop missing in iPad Photoshop. I do not use it or update it.   What will Adobe do if Apple replace MacOSX with IOS on M1 Mac force iPad Photoshop on all Photoshop users. Do away with file support.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Time is money when you're making your living using photoshop.  These extra steps are annoying AND time-consuming.  I sent a message to apple, but also hoping the Adobe people see it here.  I understand WHY based on the responses, but it still is AWFUL.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may want to look into automating the saving steps with Scripts. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. All scripts that contain ”Save as” are now broken. (Needs a rerecord to ”Save a copy”).

2. Works only for batch processing.

Or … (and this is a question) Is there any wildcards for filename/relative filepath to put in the namefield when recording a script? If not – scripts are no solution for single files, just for getting rid of the added ” copy”.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So don’t use »Save As« on the image itself in the Script and do, as was necessary all that time ago, the trouble-shooting via the Script – duplicate image (»Duplicate Merged Layers Only«), 8bit, …, Save As

(edited)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Too bad ”Duplicate Image” also adds the ” copy”. 😄 😄

No info on the wildcards?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»Too bad ”Duplicate Image” also adds the ” copy”.«

Not only is that not necessarily the case as one can determine the name when creating the duplicate via Script (I just name them »thecopy«), it is also irrelevant as one determines the ultimate name in the saving step. 

Also by using a Script one can use relative locations (like a Links Folder beside the Folder containing the layered files). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok I put a breakpoint at the ”Save as”-command. Now every file is defaulted to ”thecopy” and I still need to rename it manually (even worse than delete ”copy”).

To be clear – I'm talking about running a script on a single open file. Not batch-scripting.

I cannot work out how to make a relative folder like you describe.

If I trigger the script on another file, in another folder, it will still save the new copy in the folder I choosed in the script.

All I (we) want is an option to skip the ” copy” added to filenames. Adobe can magicaly remove a background, but it cannot remove a word from the filename. Unbeleivable! 😄 😄 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»Ok I put a breakpoint at the ”Save as”-command. Now every file is defaulted to ”thecopy” and I still need to rename it manually (even worse than delete ”copy”).

To be clear – I'm talking about running a script on a single open file. Not batch-scripting.«

Can you post the jsx-file? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wrong Script  "Save as"  will work with Jpeg Save Options.  Action with save as steps that now turn into interactive Saves as PSD  steps you  can use the Save As dialog  "Save a Copy..." Button to save the file type the Action was recorded to save.  You can Also edit the actions and modify them so the save as step will save the file it was recorded to save. Layers need to be merge save as done then undo the merge stepping back in history so the action will work without the need of user interaction.

Script like the Image processor can save jpeg from layer photoshop documents.  Record your action with no Save or save as step.  Have the image processor script batch your actions and save your jpeg files.  The Image Processor Pro Plug-in script will be able to save png file as well as Jpeg.  User of Apple  latest OS may  see " copy" appended the file name if the jpeg File exists in the output location.  I do not know for sure I do not use a mac.  Apple made some OS change that caused Adobe to over react. Thank goodness Script still work well....image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Adobe brakes scripting next Adobe will see many more compliants.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JJ I'm not sure if your respond was on my comment.

Anyway. I stated that all Scripts containing ”Save as” are now broken. That's off course wrong. It will still work if the document applies to the requirements. I.e. a flattened file will still be able to Save as a jpeg.

However I have a few scripts that ”Save as” jpeg, without pre-flattening layers, that worked fine until now.

These will work again by changeing ”Save as” to ”Save a copy”.

In batch-processing I'm able to rename the documents, add stuff to the names and (for the mother of Odin) not have ” copy” added.

I haven't tried Image Processor Pro, as the built in batch do all I need. So batch-scripting is not the issue here. It's the suggestion to use script on a single open document, as a work around to get rid of the added ”copy”, that just doesn't work. Maybe possible by writing a java-script (or whatever is used by PS). I can probably figure it out, but I do not beleive the majority will.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No you are wrong Photoshop Scripting has no problem saving a layer photoshop document into a  jpeg file.  There is no reason a photoshop script needs to flatten a Photoshop document to save a jpeg file.   The method to flatten in a script is:

app.activeDocument.flatten(); 

While there are two flatten step in my batch Mockup template populating scripts.  Both are in my Edit Smart Object Processing.  One is used so I can clear out all the smart object layers and pixels and have an empty canvas the correct object size.  The other flatten is used to be able to save the work file if the original smart object was a Placed Jpeg that does not support transparency. Photoshop Close  and Save method will fail the save the object work  file for I added layers containing the replacement content. Photoshop would not update the object in the smart object layer.

The Populated Jpeg files the script saves are from the layered template documents processed.

image.png

Here is the Scripts SaveAsJpeg code there is no flatten done  to the  layerd template being Processed.  This is the first thing I tested when I read the 22.4 update changes.   My script code still works no change was need.  If Adobe changes Photoshop Scripting documents .saveAs methop many of adobe own Photoshop scripts will be brohen.  Like Image processor.  I also think I tested File>Automate>Batch and Bach it seems cans still override action Save As steps that save Layered document to  jpeg files  the Batch Override still seem to work.

image.png

So it is Apple rules and control Adobe dummies. I do not want to be controlled by Apple I want freedom.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have mistakenly confused scripts with saved workflows (macros).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You most likely mean Actions not macros. 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes – I don't use an english verson. They are called ”macros” in mine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, well, Actions are not good enough for some tasks and you may need t ouse an actual JavaScript-file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice workaround (irony).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work with Photoshop. 

Scripting helps automate repetitive tasks in Photoshop. 

Irony not so much. 

So one can try to work more efficiently or not, one own’s choice. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scripts are convenient for many tasks.

We are discussing how to not have ”copy” added to filenemes.

How is it efficient to use a script, instead of the way it has worked the last 10 years?

How can you not acknowledge the concerns of so many professional users?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a professional Photoshop user. 

And I have deemed using the Save As-dialog and having to select the file format from the dropdown list to save a flattend tif or jpg copy off of a layered psd-file inefficient a while ago. 

Therefore I use a Script to streamline that. 

Avoiding the » copy« in the name was just part of the advantages. 

I recommend you do likewise but also add your voice to the Request over on feedback.photoshop.com 

Appealing to Photoshop for improvements makes sense, trying to work-around a potentially unsatisfying current state of a feature with the available Tool does, too. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right. It is kind of cumbersome to choose jpg-fileformat every time. I should have used a script for this long before 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scripts are not broken. Actions MAY be broken, depending on the formatting you start with.
A script can get the current filename and use it when saving. A script can also copy the filename to the Clipboard where the user can paste it in to get rid of "copy."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the worst update I have ever seen to Photoshop. "It's like it's evolving... just backwards."

Our company - after scrambling to figure out what the heck was going on (after multiple reinstalls, updating windows, updating graphics drivers, resetting preferences, clearing cache/temp files, etc.) and finally discovering that it wasn't a bug but an "update"' (.... like... an on-purpose update that they knowingly just sprung on everyone) we just uninstalled the latest version and reinstalled the older version... and everything is glorious once more. 

And I see many, apparently diehard photoshop/Adobe fans saying " well all you have to do is take extra steps to save your document the way you want it, not a big deal. How many formats do you save in anyway"... First of all: seriously? 0_o Secondly: well... guess what, some of us need to do work quickly and save many documents in fast succession. We're on the clock. So an extra step (or two really) to each document means a lot of wasted time at the end of the month. 

We're going to wait until Adobe fixes this ridiculous so-called "update". "Apple forced our hand" - ok so give us Windows users the good version of Photoshop (the one that actually makes sense) and let Apple users deal with this downgrade. This is literally costing companies money right now. Wasted time trying to figure out how to "fix" this absolute problem and then wasted time going through extra steps just to save a simple image. 

Adobe... seriously... please fix this asap. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very eloquently put, Sir!

I have reverted to the previous version of Photoshop to remove this problem!
I would suspect that a lot of my "Graphic Design" colleagues will be doing
the same until
this issue is resolved.

*Phil Partridge*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines