• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Photoshop 22.4 - Missing Save as formats from the menu

New Here ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to the mentioned version and the formats dropdown list only shows 3 formats: Photoshop (*.PSD;*.PDD;*.PSDT), *.PSB and TIFF (*.TIF;*.TIFF).

jane-e_0-1620929274567.png

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

If your file contains items that are not supported in your required format (e.g. layers or 16 bits/channel) then the file format is moved to the Save a Copy menu. This was driven by changes in the Mac Operating System, although the changes are applied to both Mac and Windows versions to keep the two aligned.

What's new in Photoshop

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Hi All,

We appreciate your feedback on the recent “Save a Copy” change. To address your concerns, we have created two new options in Photoshop 22.4.2 that will enable both revert to the legacy “Save As” workflow and/or omit the addended “copy” when saving as a copy. These options can be found in the File Saving Options section under Preferences > File Handling.

To quickly summarize, you will now have the option to revert to the legacy “Save As” workflow (from before recent changes) on both macOS

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jul 09, 2023 Jul 09, 2023

Hi all

You may already know that flatted file formats have been relocated from the "Save as" menu option to the "Save as Copy" option in Photoshop. To learn more about this workflow update, please refer to the following quick tip: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/learn-how-to-save-all-file-formats-from-photoshop-s-save-as-dialog-quick-tip/td-p/12933468?cgen=ZFN4FD71&mv=other

Or see this video tutorial link

Hope it helps,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 839 Replies 839
Explorer ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having just reverted to a previous version: IT SEEMS THE SAME "ISSUE" IS
ALSO IN THAT VERSION!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I 100% agree, i spent the last 4 days loosing my mind because only way to get it to work is if you completely flatten the file. all layers and everything, then you can save as any file type. but then run the risk of accidently saving over your original .PSD file with all its layers.

didnt mean to cause a storm with this community post, but its just crazy to think adobe would force an update that is going backwards. AND NOT EVEN ADVISE IT, NOT EVEN A "NEW FEATURE" POP UP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is wrong you can still use a Photoshop Scripting to save the file you want to save without flatting your open  Photoshop document.  With a layer document in photoshop run this script.  It shoulfd save a flat jpeg file on your desktop.  "SaveDesktopJpeg.jsx"

var Name = activeDocument.name;
var jpegfile =  new File('~/Desktop/' + Name);
SaveAsJPEG(jpegfile, 10);
function SaveAsJPEG(saveFile, jpegQuality){
	var doc = activeDocument;
	if (doc.bitsPerChannel != BitsPerChannelType.EIGHT) doc.bitsPerChannel = BitsPerChannelType.EIGHT;
	jpgSaveOptions = new JPEGSaveOptions();
	jpgSaveOptions.embedColorProfile = true;
	jpgSaveOptions.formatOptions = FormatOptions.STANDARDBASELINE;
	jpgSaveOptions.matte = MatteType.NONE;
	jpgSaveOptions.quality = jpegQuality;
	activeDocument.saveAs(File(saveFile+".jpg"), jpgSaveOptions, true,Extension.LOWERCASE);
}

Your document was not flatten during this save as operation  a flat jpeg file was saved.  Jpeg file format does not support layers.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

I have the newest version of photoshop and I can't save edited images as jpg, there is only large format and tiff options. 

I chatted with someone from adobe and they told me it was because my file sizes are too large. If I flatten the image, it works. 

But I'm really confused why this is happening. I use a program called Ortery to capture images. I save them from ortery as jpegs and then open them in photoshop and I have been doing this for the last year with no problems. I used photoshop a few days ago and everything worked fine. I haven't updated Ortery or anything else on my computer aside from updating photoshop a couple hours ago. The image sizes have always been large when I'm editing, but they were still allowing me to save as jpg. So I'm extremely confused why this is just now an issue, does anyone have any insight? It's not a huge deal for me to just flatten the image, I'm, again, just so dang confused. 

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We're sorry about the trouble with Photoshop. Please try saving the document using the option to Save a Copy from the File menu & you should be able to save the file as a Jpeg. For more info, please check: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new/2021-4.html

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JPGs are compressed files that don't allow for multiple layers of an image.  Which is why in the older versions of Photoshop,  if you saved a multi layer image and tried to save it as a JPG without flattening it,  you'd get a little dialog telling you that you must save it as a copy,  which would flatten that image.  Usually if you're using multiple layers,  you need to save it as either a PSD or TIF file 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The point is that prior to this update, you could simply select 'Save as', select a single-layer filetype such as JPG or PNG and PS would deal with it (i.e., flatten, save and unflatten). Now instead of selecting 'Save as', you select 'Save a copy' and have to delete " copy" from the file name each time, which is a pain in the ass.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If everyone sends the link to this thread to Apple I’m sure they’ll get right on it. Or not.

Here’s the magic link again: https://www.apple.com/feedback/macos.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2021 May 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi why can't I save as any project or image as a jpeg or PNG? I know I can save for web legacy but it's a slower process, I just want to hit save as and save out as a JPEG why are all the options I usually have gone? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Save As" now lists only the formats that support all the current properties of the file. All other formats, with limited support, are now moved to "Save A Copy".

This was changed because the Save As jpeg function had already been broken for over a year on the Mac side, since Catalina. Saving over a jpeg resulted in a separate file with "-copy" appended. The programming function to strip "-copy" from the filename had been removed by Apple, and there was no way for Adobe to work around it. The Save As jpeg function was rendered useless by this and had to be totally rewritten.

This is not a bug, but a deliberate policy from Apple.

To be clear, saving a layered/16 bit file as jpeg saved out a copy the whole time. That is important to understand! The jpeg format does not allow 16 bit depth, layers, transparency or alpha channels. That fact was just hidden by Photoshop, by removing "-copy", but with Catalina it was no longer possible and "-copy" would always appear regardless.

Everybody should keep in mind that the direct save to jpeg, from 16 bit/layered files, was introduced in Photoshop CS5 in 2010. Prior to that, it was not possible at all to save directly to jpeg. First you had to remove every property in the file that wasn't supported in the jpeg specification. Only then could you save it. So this is nothing new - but this time you can use Save A Copy.

Platform parity has always been important in Photoshop, for the sake of actions, plugins, tutorials and so on. So it had to be changed in the Windows version as well, even though it never was a problem on Windows. But it may well be in the future, if Microsoft adopts the same policy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gosh would be nice to have an explanation warning dialog for average users who don't read the update notes in detail when you hit save as, not just flying blind.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree.  I spent several hours....uninstalled and reinstalled Photoshop trying to figure out what was wrong.  A simple explannation for one of the most used commands would have been nice.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@nicholasw38035566 wrote:

Gosh would be nice to have an explanation warning dialog for average users who don't read the update notes in detail when you hit save as, not just flying blind.....

Now why would users not read an update notes in detail after automatically and blindly updating? 

Of course, Adobe did explain this. 

I think some people enjoy complaining almost as much as they enjoy doing nothing about it. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because some of us are actually busy and dont have time to read 10+ program updates and also dont have the time to post pointless comments on community posts all day. Right and creating a community post is doing nothing about it apparently.....? you sound daft mate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently not too busy to post in a user to user forum than RTFM. That's daft. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everything D Fosse said plus two shortcuts:

Save As         Shift+Ctrl+S

Save a Copy  Alt+Ctrl+S

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use File > Export > Export As to save a copy as PNG or JPG. 

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Save As" now lists only the formats that support all the current properties of the file, thus preserving all your work. All other formats, with limited support, are now moved to "Save A Copy".

This was changed because the Save As jpeg function had already been broken for over a year on the Mac side, since Catalina. Saving over a jpeg resulted in a separate file with "-copy" appended. The programming function to strip "-copy" from the filename had been removed by Apple, and there was no way for Adobe to work around it. The Save As jpeg function was  rendered useless by this and had to be totally rewritten.

To be clear, saving a layered/16 bit file as jpeg saved out a copy the whole time. That is important to understand! The jpeg format does not allow 16 bit or layers. That fact was just hidden by Photoshop, by removing "-copy", but with Catalina it was no longer possible and "-copy" would always appear regardless.

Everybody should keep in mind that the direct save to jpeg, from 16 bit/layered files, was introduced in Photoshop CS5 in 2010. Prior to that, it was not possible at all to save directly to jpeg. First you had to remove every property in the file that wasn't supported in the jpeg specification. Only then could you save it. So this is nothing new - but this time you can use Save A Copy.

Platform parity has always been a sacred principle in Photoshop, so it had to be changed in the Windows version as well, even though it never was a problem on Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, he's telling you why the software had to be changed and how it now behaves. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, but what are you gonna do? Stop using Photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe didn't remove it. Apple did.

The API (application programming interface) that allowed Photoshop to save out a jpeg copy, but strip "-copy" from the filename, was removed from MacOS Catalina.

In short, it didn't work anymore on the Mac side.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, that's what they all say, but breaking platform parity has severe and far-reaching consequences. It just wasn't on the table.

I'm Windows myself, but I fully understand why they had to do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me ask you something: What did you do before CS5? That's when this ability to directly save out a jpeg from a layered and/or 16 bit file was introduced. Before that, it wasn't possible at all. What did you do then?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but what a weird question ... Adobe has made many things better since CS5 and there is no reason to make things worse again. BTW what did you do before Personal Computers were designed? The same kind of "state of art question" ... Do you really want to have machines of 2009 (CS4)? No, you don't. And we don't want to go steps backwards. So what? I really appreciate people and companies who don't accept any dicatorship of any company. Spotify and Epic Games are sending their regards ... And they aren't bigger than Adobe at all. But may be with so much more courage ...

But to be clear - I am not a fanboy of any OS but I don't understand why all companies immediately submit if Apple tries to determine the rules.

Does Adobe really think to loose all the photographers and designers if Photoshop or InDesign or ever what else of Adobe's apps doesn't run on MAC OS any more? Apple is just almost a religion, but if you need to earn money, switching to Windows is no killer argument. So what? Apple does not buy Adobe's products. They only want to sell THEIR products. No partnership. Adobe is a competitor. So please, more courage ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple does not own Photoshop Adobe programs Photoshop. Apple did nothing to Photoshop. Apple changed their Mac OSX system. Adobe over reacted to what Apple did in their OS and gave all Photoshop users a new Photoshop issued they need  to deal with.  It very annoying.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines