• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Program error while opening or creating new document after Photoshop 22.1 update [2020]

Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since yesterday's update, can´t even open a jpg file. Always says: Could not complete your request because of a program error. I need to work.

{Moderator Note: Edited the thread title, PS-52603}

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Hi all,

05/20 update: We have resolved another program error issue while dragging assets from libraries to the artboard in Photoshop 22.4.1 update. Could you please update Photoshop to the 22.4.1 version via the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop app and let us know your feedback.

Here's how you update Photoshop to its latest version: Update Creative Cloud apps

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 1058 Replies 1058
Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am experiencing the same issue. Usually when the users see there is an update availbale they go for it or depending on their arrangements, the updates are installed automatically. So I got the Photoshop V 22.0 and guess what? All my work had to stop because my photshop was and is giving me error message and and cannot do anyrthing with my photos! Now I see that is suggested to downgrade to previous version! What is this? It's completely unacceptable! Please fix the issue ASAP in order for us to get back to work and also, before releasing anything like this advise the users for potential issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Também estou comproblemas na nova versão do photoshop, e agora? O que fazer Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop automatically updated and completely failed to work on my PC. Following advice here, I uninstalled it and installed the previous version (only one, the latest one is available on Creative Cloud). This version allows me to at least open jpgs but crashes on the first action (such as basic cropping). I've turned off the graphics processor in preferences, but it accomplished nothing. Please help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue.  Reinstalled older version.  That hasn't helped.  Clicked the workaround, didn't help.  I am dead in the water, not cool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Work around doesn't work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, get error message "Could not complete your request because of a program error." I am on Window 10 Adobe cloud

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem since last update.

I followed "workaround" tips:
Updated my graphic driver: Not a fix

Removed Photoshop Preferences folder: Not a fix

Disbaled the GPU: WORKED

Obviously not an ideal or permanent fix but allowed me to use Photoshop until a permanent fix/update is released.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not very good with computers. What is GPU?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GPU is your graphics card inside your computer. Sometimes also called your video card.

I went back to the previous version of Photoshop and it seems to be working. Shame on Adobe for releasing this version with so many people having problems. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonjour, Je suis dans la même situation, impossible d'utiliser Photoshop malgré les modifications et mises à jour de ma carte graphique. Photoshop reste bloqué, impossible de quitter le programme normalement et donc de modifier les préférences. J'ai besoin d'une solution en urgence svp !! comme les autres d'aillleurs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey, what helped for me is RESTARTING my computer 🙂

look in PS prefs if your graphic card is available!

~>> it isn't there with the first launch. close photoshop, RESTART the computer, open photoshop and look at the prefs... now it displays your graphic card!

photoshop works 100% ( on a Mac )....... till you shut down your computer, then you have to restart again :)))

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cette méthode ne fonctionne pas puisqu'il est impossible de quitter photoshop normalement et donc enregistrer les nouveaux paramètres.
Cdt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Si, cette méthode fonctionne!

Il faut lancer PS à partir la APP sur écran Windows.

Puis ily a un écran PS de départ à partir on ouvre une photo.

Si l'on essaye d'ouvrir un photo à partir de là en effet PS le logiciel câle.

Main on a déja accès au paramètres comme "Préférences" etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New issue around this topic. Now, everytime I run PS shows the following message: Error reading machine specific preferences. They will be reset to defaults. This means that after the reset, I need to turn off the GPU everytime.
This sucks but at least I can work. I hope Adobe will fix this soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now where did I put last weeks backup on my PC?

Will have to restore from backup and ensure that auto istall and auto delete old versions are turned off . Why did Adobe turn on auto deletion of old version? Asking for trouble.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All I had to do was restart my computer, everything is fine!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about tools that aren't working? I was unable to use the Handtool with the space bar, and even reset the tool. I still can't access it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ty propert property

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far every work-around has worked for a day or so I am now stuck stock still and can do nothing! YOU NEED TO FIX THIS NOW!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem since installing the new version, and I need to work. What is the solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got exactly the same problems. Can't open any file in PS and won't open from Bridge either. It also locks PS, so have no choice but to use Task Manager to shut it down. I've tried all the "work arounds" and they don't work. My question is why am I paying a subscription for software I'm unable to use every time a major update occurs? I also had problems with 2020, however that time they were only minor and I could work with it. Also, am I supposed to update my PC ever time Adobe have an update at a cost of $2000? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have the same error.... trying to follow Kladi on her Photoshop Instagram post tutorial.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi photoshop 2021,

My graphic card is the quadro 2000. it doesn't support with the Photoshop 22.0...  

Graphics companies want to sell more new graphics cards, so this is the reason photoshop 22..0 NOt fix the error on the old graphic card. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moin moin an alle!

Ja, bei mir tritt leider genau das gleiche Problem auf...

Konstantin5E6A_0-1603874474569.png

Ich hoffe, das kann schnell gelöst werden?

Grüße

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines