• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Program error while opening or creating new document after Photoshop 22.1 update [2020]

Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since yesterday's update, can´t even open a jpg file. Always says: Could not complete your request because of a program error. I need to work.

{Moderator Note: Edited the thread title, PS-52603}

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Hi all,

05/20 update: We have resolved another program error issue while dragging assets from libraries to the artboard in Photoshop 22.4.1 update. Could you please update Photoshop to the 22.4.1 version via the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop app and let us know your feedback.

Here's how you update Photoshop to its latest version: Update Creative Cloud apps

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 1058 Replies 1058
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this same issue, and all of my functions using Wacom buttons and CTRL+ hotkeys all trigger the same error message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be useful to know the OS to start. 

What you might try is resetting the pref's, can't hurt and sometimes solves issues. 

Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) immediately after launching Photoshop. You will be prompted to delete the current settings.

(Mac OS only) Open the Preferences folder in the Library folder, and drag the Adobe Photoshop CS Settings folder to the Trash.

This action only affects the items found in the preferences dialog box. Numerous program settings are stored in the Adobe Photoshop Preferences file, including general display options, file-saving options, performance options, cursor options, transparency options, type options, and options for plug‑ins and scratch disks. Brushes (and lots of other setting) are not affected by the above instructions for deleting preferences. You may wish to make a screen capture of the settings in the Preferences dialog to reset them prior to deleting of this file. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since applying the latest update to 22.3.0 some Photoshop functions are not available.  A note appears saying "Could not complete your request because of a program error".  Help please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please elaborate on which functions you have issues with? What OS version you are using and which GPU you have and the Date of the GPU Device Driver installed.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

Some image files (JPEG) will open in Photoshop, but with the error
message.  One function that will not work is to create new layers.  I
have tried uninstalling and re-installing PS but the problem persists. 
I am using a PC running Windows 10 version 20H2.  I don't know how to
find out about the GPU.

By the way, I also have Photoshop on a laptop.  This was also updated to
the latest version and in this case without any apparent problems.

Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use PS menu Help>System Info past the info here. Jpeg Image files should open if the file is good.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Further investigation suggests that my graphics card (NVIDIA Quadro K420), which is happy with PS 22.2, is somehow inadequate to cope with PS 22.3.  I have reinstalled 22.2 but do I need to replace the graphics card to handle this and future PS updates?  Has anyone else had this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem with the message "Could not complete your request because of a program error" trying to open any Tiff file (I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling). I do not know if it is related but my graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce GT 720.  What should I do ? Or at least how can I proceed to install the PS 22.2 version that worked fine ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem on my dell XPS 15 from 2010. I have the latest windows 10 update (20H2. OS build 19042.867)

My GPU is NVIDIA GeForce GT 435M, Driver 391.35.

After the 22.3 update I am no longer able to open preformance under preferences > Performance and all the filter options is grayed out. So it seems that the graphic card is disabled in version 22.3. Reverted back to 22.2 and that solved the problem.

So there is no reason for 22.3 to not work on this laptop In fact it is supported according to creative cloud.

I have also a newer alienware 17R3 with Nvidia GTX 980M and 22.3 works, but for some reason the option to change between the different drawing modes are not possible for the firts attemts. So something is clearly off with 22.3...

Hope that a update will fix it so I can update both my laptops...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The evidence seems to be gathering to suggest a bug in 22.3 so let's hope
we'll soon see an update to fix it. I shan't be splashing out on a new GPU
just yet!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I kept getting programme error whenever I attempted to use photoshop. I have 2 computers one is the microsoft surface book and the other is an old HP tower. Until the latest photoshop update both computers worked fine with Photoshop. The latest update did not affect the surface book but caused an i/o error in the HP. The problem seems to be related to the HP computers video chip. Reinstalling an earler version of the update (the previous update) Solved the problem. Hope this is of some help. This also explains why the diagnostic plugin did not function correctly. Justin Goodwin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well done Adobe - you have managed to mess things up again. For the last 3 updates Photoshop has behaved impecccably. With v22.3 I cannot select either Normal or Advanced for the graphic processor in the Advanced Settings.

You have been scrabbling around in the dark for months now trying to find a fix but every time you seem to break something else. It really does seem as though you just cannot find a fix that works for everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just an update on this. It seems to not work and then work. If I open Photoshop just a few minutes apart sometimes I can select other options and sometimes not. Very weird.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even more weird - it works and then does not work without even closing Photoshop. Open Preferences - cannot choose other options - close preferences and re-open - can choose options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

VERY important - if anyone gets PS to work after one of these 'bugfix' updates, SWITCH OFF AUTO UPDATE.

The programmers told me that there was more than one issue under review, so any given patch might presumably fix one problem but cause another, depending on the user.

ADOBE: PLEEEEEEEASE devote the next update 100% to bugfix. Spare us the AI stuff and just get this thing working.

PS used to be steady as a rock. In 2009 or 2010 era you could go months or years without a crash. Seriously, get back to making what exists already work, before adding more epicycles deferants and equants, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same behavior on my Alienware 17R3. So I actually experience both bugs that have been reported regarding graphics cards, missing filter features and program error message. I keep 22.3 on my Alienware, but had to go back to 22.2 on the Dell XPS.
Hoping for a fix soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ADOBE, when are you going to sort this out? enough apology replys. For a professional application, this is just not acceptable. I keep having to try wour lame workarounds whis are NOT A SOLUTION. You are happy to keep charging my account but not in any urgency to fix the problem. All the ;atest softyware installed on an mac M1. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2021 Mar 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactamente el mismo problema. Además no se puede utilizar filtros ni ajustes de imagen... en definitiva: Photoshop ha dejado de funncionar??????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 14, 2021 Mar 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regrese a la versión anterior 22.2 hasta que se encuentre una solución

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here regarding the lack of GPU Advanced options - everything is greyed out on 22.3. That said, none of the 2021 updates are working well on my new Dell XPS 8930, Windows Home 10, Nvidia 2070 Super, 32 gig ram,  i7-9700. There's been a weird hesitation when mousing over any menu items since its release, but the 22.3 takes the problems to a whole new level.

Adobe is obviously trying to court the amature market with all the AI crap, and forgetting the working pros who rely on stability.

My message to Adobe is to stop focusing on iPads and remember that desktop computers are still kinda important...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here regarding the lack of GPU Advanced options - everything is greyed out on 22.3. That said, none of the 2021 updates are working well on my new Dell XPS 8930, Windows Home 10, Nvidia 2070 Super, 32 gig ram,  i7-9700. There's been a weird hesitation when mousing over any menu items since its release, but the 22.3 takes the problems to a whole new level.

Adobe is obviously trying to court the amature market with all the AI crap, and forgetting the working pros who rely on stability.

My message to Adobe is to stop focusing on iPads and remember that desktop computers are still kinda important...

By @denniR

100%, you nailed it. I new we were in trouble when I saw them asking all the ipad questions in their questionaire/feedback forms. And the AI stuff? Very cool if it works but it doesn't pay the rent.

I wish one of the competitors would get their act together and go full adobe-killer, because as-is, Adobe is intent on killing the careers of serious professionals.

Said it before will say it again: the next update(s)) should focus 100% on NO NEW FEATURES, and be 100% dedicated to bugfixes / speed / stability. 

Enough of this amateur hour crap, which WE the users are paying for. This bugfest has been going on since October 2002.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gah, Oct 2020 of course. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue seems to come and go on my MacBook Pro 2013 (2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7)  running Catolina 10.15.7. I've been saving layered PSDs to a USB SanDisk SSD 1TB external.

Solution: After uninstalling/re-installing latest photoshop, I also unmounted and unplugged my USB exteral SanDisk. Then rebooted my laptop. Open newly installed Photoshop. go to Prefrences/Genral. Deselect "Auto show the Home Screen. Click on "Use Legacy "New Document" Interface. (See attached.)

Not getting the "Program Error" message when saving to SanDisk external USB drive. I'll write back if this occurs again. So far, so good today.

NOTE: Since doing all of the above, I have gotten a weird AI lag where my keyboard was unsresponsive. I simply tapped on the desktop and AI returned to normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am so frustrated. I have had NOTHING but issues with every new release since about 4 months ago. I have had to call into support more in the past year than I have had to in the past 10 of using and owning Adobe products. For some reason every update is changing everything and it never works on my mac once an update happens. 😕 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RJM-W_0-1615483749060.png

I get this, I reinstalled still get this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines