• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Program error while opening or creating new document after Photoshop 22.1 update [2020]

Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since yesterday's update, can´t even open a jpg file. Always says: Could not complete your request because of a program error. I need to work.

{Moderator Note: Edited the thread title, PS-52603}

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Hi all,

05/20 update: We have resolved another program error issue while dragging assets from libraries to the artboard in Photoshop 22.4.1 update. Could you please update Photoshop to the 22.4.1 version via the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop app and let us know your feedback.

Here's how you update Photoshop to its latest version: Update Creative Cloud apps

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 1058 Replies 1058
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2020 Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since today I cannot open any .jpg file. The message <cannot proces your request due to program failure>. It also is not possible to close Photoshop in a normal way. Please. I have a deadline...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of Photoshop and OS?

Does this occur with all images or just this one?

Have you tried resetting your Photoshop preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, i have tried several. Also .PNG files. Same problem. I can't even
close the program properly. I have cheched my settings

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you reset the Photoshop preferences, which you can do under the General tab in Photoshop preferences?

How much RAM and spare disk capacity do you have?

If you've reset the preferences, and you have say 16MG of RAM and lots of spare disk capacity and you still have issues, try this:

Uninstall Photoshop, using the drop-down menu in the Creative Cloud app, and reinstall Photoshop again. If that doesn't solve the problem then unistall it once again and then run Adobe Cleaner before reinstalling Photoshop again.

Here's a link to Cleaner: https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, and also a dedline tomorrow. Now i am trying to go back from 22 update to earlier 21 something version and i hope that solves this annoying issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, if this works for you, please let me know

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried everything now. Even the cleaner. Nothing works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried everything now. The cleaner also. I work with Windows 10 Professional 64-bit. I have 8 gb RAM. PS has to work otherwise I will have problems with my deadline

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The OP doesn't seem to answer any of the questions!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

We're aware of this issue and working on the fix. Check out the following workaround to fix this issue for now: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/known-issues.html#ProgramErroropeningfiles

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot open anything in photoshop after the recent update. I cannot even close photoshop. I have to close it through the task manager. 

"could not complete your request because of a program error"

Is there a fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See this help page with the topic "Program Error Opening Files" and work through the list of troubleshooting steps.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/known-issues.html

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went through the work around and it didn't work.  I re-installed the prior version and it would let me open my photos but none of my actions worked anymore so I couldn't do a whole lot in there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Creative Cloud installed PS 2021 on my system (OSX Mojave, 10.14.6, MacBook Pro) but when I tried to use it I got the error listed in the subject line for this post. I have tried to open raw images, and they sucessfully open in ACR, but not in PS, and jpgs but can not get any image actually into PS. Fortunately I still have the 2020 version on my machine and it is working properly but I am puzzled.

Is this some kind of known issue? I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling PS but it did not help. I still got the same error message when I tried to open an image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike,

Yes it is a known issue and they are working on it. Here is a link to the help page where you can read more about it: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/known-issues.html#ProgramErroropeningfiles

Let us know if that helps! You did the smart thing by keeping the 2020 version to fall back on. Hopefull, it will be fixed soon.

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just found this and thought it might also help:

Hi all,

We're aware of the Program error issue with Photoshop 22.0. Our engineering team working on the fix, in the meanwhile, you can refer to the available workaround: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/known-issues.html#ProgramErroropeningfiles

We really appreciate your patience with us.

Thanks,

Mohit 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your responses.

As per the recomendations I opened up the Preferences and unchecked the Graphics Card entry and that seems to have fixed the issue. I was able to successfully open both jpg and raw images in PS. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hola, necesito ayuda!!, no puedo ingresar para poder abrir archivos, soy nueva en la plataforma de photoshop , desde la actualizacion de ayer no puedo entrar, me podrias decir los pasos para poder hacer que funcione?, de verdad estoy muy entusiasmada por aprender y esto me detiene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tengo el mismo problema, ya apagué el procesador gráfico y no se soluciona.
Terrible!! en mitad de un trabajo!! Mala idea confiar en las actualizaciones de Adobe.

I have the same problem, I already turned off the graphics processor and it doesn't work.
Terrible!! in the middle of a job! Bad idea to trust Adobe updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turning off the Graphics Processor in Preferences "fixed" the problem for me, but that seems more like a diagnostic answer rather than a real FIX. Please tell us this will be resolved soon, and notify us when we can reenable using our graphics processors!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have the same problem and it has occured after the last upgrading, today. Howerer, I appplied your advise about turning off the Graphics Processor and it works.Thank you for this solution, but what about the Graphics Processor's situation?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

io ho risolto ri installando la vecchia versione di Camera Raw

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That did not work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't even sign in. It signed me out and won't let me even sign into the cloud now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines