• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Program error while opening or creating new document after Photoshop 22.1 update [2020]

Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since yesterday's update, can´t even open a jpg file. Always says: Could not complete your request because of a program error. I need to work.

{Moderator Note: Edited the thread title, PS-52603}

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Hi all,

05/20 update: We have resolved another program error issue while dragging assets from libraries to the artboard in Photoshop 22.4.1 update. Could you please update Photoshop to the 22.4.1 version via the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop app and let us know your feedback.

Here's how you update Photoshop to its latest version: Update Creative Cloud apps

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 1058 Replies 1058
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Du kannst PS v22 auch folgendermaßen zum Laufen bringen:

Photoshop v22 von Windows aus starten. Es erscheint ein erster Bildschirm, mit

dem PS noch nicht hängt.

Jetzt über Bearbeiten/Voreinstellungen/Leistung auf diese Anzeige kommen. Siehe unten!

Das Häkchen in Grafikprozessor entfernen.

Die ganze Misere entsteht wohl dadurch, dass ein bestimmter Typ von Grafikprozessor

mit PS v22 nichts anfangen kann... oder umgekehrt!

sha-dh710_1-1603898209991.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So when I follow your posted directions to install previous version, your illustration of where to go... elipses and "more options"... it does exist in my Creative Cloud. There are no elipses, there are no more options... and now it's been a week. None of the work arounds you prescribe are working for me.
wtf is wrong with you? Fix this problem... I will never update in the first mont, ever again.
Looking at Capture One Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"does *not* exist. No ellipses, no "more option"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ho risolto secondo i consigli e sono finalmente ò ma non si chiudeva più, ho spento il computer di e finalmente da questo mattina tutto. Grazie a tutti.

Ma scrivere qui è un macello!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Grüß euch,

da ich ebenfalls das Problem hatte, dass Photoshop 2021 nur bis zum Startbildschirm kam und beim Öffnen eine Fehlermeldung ausgab, versuchte ich einen Fehler zu finden. Bei mir hat geholfen, in den Voreinstellungen den Haken bei der Benutzung des Grafikkartenprozessors rauszunehmen.

Konstantin5E6A_0-1603911841584.png

Jetzt läuft Photoshop erstmal wieder. Ich hoffe, der Fehler wird aber dennoch behoben, damit Photoshop wieder ordentlich arbeiten kann!

Grüße

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Mohit.

After the update to 2021 Photoshop wouldn't even open for me.  I got this error. I removed the Settings folder, but it didn't help any, and there's not an update for my graphics driver. And reinstalling it didn't help.

I was able to go back to Photoshop 2020, though.

This is a different error than the others received, though, I think.

Thanks,

Mathis...

Photoshop-Error.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solved. I had a similar problem. Photoshop v 22.0 will respond with error "Could not complete your request because of a program error" when I tried to open any file or even if I close the program. I had to use Task Manager to quit Photoshop. All other Creative Cloud Apps and including Photoshop v 21.2.4 worked well. I disabled GPU usage as advised by Mohit Goyal above and it works fine. However, I do not know if there will be any speed or performance issues. Thanks for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Compleet the same problem, Adobe I think your update is not correct. It feels a bit like that Adobe is saying we are the problem. I have a good working system, photoshop woked always perfect and sice yesterdays update I have the sam problem enoying!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have managed to load the older 2020 version of photoshop and this operates as before the update, can you not load the older version into the creative cloud so we can reload a  working version until you sort your update problem with version 2021?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. Why doesn't Adobe just load the last working version so we can at least use their product (that we are fully paying for!!!) We are completed hampered. Adobe you must take this issue seriously and allow downloads of the last working version until you have a working update. None of your suggestions work for the majority of users. Extremely frustrating from a software giant. Are you even listening to your key users on this forum ??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm curious why some users are unable to install older version of PS from the Creative Cloud Desktop app. I was able to do just that and it resolved the issues the new version are causing. See my recent post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On today's Creative Cloud there is no option but the latest defective
version available

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no, it's definitely there, you're just not looking in the right place...

go to All Apps, then next to OPEN, click the three dots ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" /><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 15 (filtered medium)" /><!--<br>/* Font Definitions */<br>@font-face<br> {font-family:"Cambria Math";<br> panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}<br>@font-face<br> {font-family:Calibri;<br> panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}<br>/* Style Definitions */<br>p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal<br> {margin:0cm;<br> font-size:11.0pt;<br> font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}<br>a:link, span.MsoHyperlink<br> {mso-style-priority:99;<br> color:blue;<br> text-decoration:underline;}<br>.MsoChpDefault<br> {mso-style-type:export-only;}<br>@page WordSection1<br> {size:612.0pt 792.0pt;<br> margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}<br>div.WordSection1<br> {page:WordSection1;}<br>-->

Thanks found and loaded older version, works fine.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparantly the update is causing many problems. Chief among them are the inability to open any files on some computers and a lack of functionaily - notably the inability to edit text (the subject of another community thread: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/m-type-tool-problems-after-update/m-p/11522653?page=1 ) - apparantly depending on the GPU. Both are known issues refenced in this Adobe help article: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/known-issues.html
Following the advice of that article, I turned off the "Use Graphics Processor" option in prefernces and that resolved both issues but with diminshed overall functionality.
Ultimately (and thankfully), I was able to uninstall the 2021 version and reinstall the previsou version of PS using Creative Cloud Desktop (Other version) which now works just as before with Use Graphics Processor checked.
ScreenClip [2].png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I tried this yesterday and it didn't work (tried a few times). Today, I tried again and hey presto v21.2.4 worked! I uninstalled v22 via creative cloud, then completely deleted the entire settings directory (C:\Users\XXXX\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2021). I then re-installed v.21.2.4 from CCD. I have left 'GPU Processor' setting enabled. 

I suppose a bit of perseverance prevails. I really hope this works for others!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While this fix is going on I'm losing money, could you pause my monthly subscription until you get this fixed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can revert to the previous version of Photoshop if you are blocked using the current version. 

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/downloaded-older-app.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can only download previous purchases. If you are on an adobe plan, you can't download previous versions that you used while on the plan, unless you purchase that version separately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand this at all. I bought the plan years ago, and used v20 (and still have it on one of my machines). As recently as a year ago I installed CS6 (which I never bought) through the old versions installer.

There is no logical reason why I should not be able to roll back to v20 - apart from some nonsense from the marketing dept. I also note that by making older versions difficult to impossible to install, they force users to buy new hardware, which is tacky to put it mildly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW, given that this problem has been a live wire for MANY DAYS, just like to thank adobe for keeping their studio-killing 'update' online.

God forbid you pulled it for a couple of weeks while you bug-fixed.

Christ, but you are a pack of sociopaths.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also do not get PSD 2021 to run. Thanks Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pag93988S24 - if I understand you - they should pause the downloading of this dangerous update until it's been properly bugfixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well my life is crap now. yes adobe ive read your useless advice. deleted prefs, reinstalled driver, reinstalled cc, reinstalled PS.

Finally =====> I rolled back to the previous version (21)

And IT ALSO CRASHES, identical crash pattern to 22. So whatever wrecking job you inflicted on my machine, it seems to be crashing clean rollbacks (with clean pref files).

Heck of a job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, It's now Oct 29th and earlier this evening I made the monumental error of updating Photshop. Reading this thread I see that I'm not the only poor soul on the receiving end of Adobe's largesse. I have work backing up. For those of us who are not systems engineers, is there any advice you can hand out here to get things working again? Short of buying and entire new computer? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines