Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Save For Web error A write permissions error has occurred Photoshop 22.1.1

New Here ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am using the PS 22.1.1 version and when I try to save for web I get the error. "Adobe Save For Web Error A write permissions error has occurred " 

Any help?

{Thread title edited by Moderator}

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

Hi there,

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear about the permissions related error when you're trying to save a file using the Save for Web option in Photoshop.

Thanks for sharing the version info. Could you please let us know the macOS version you're working with?

Could you please try granting Read and Write permissions to the Adobe folder at the locations mentioned in the link: Required permissions for Photoshop

If that doesn't help, then try creating a new user account on the Mac & let us know

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Hello,

I just solved this problem on my Mac by doing 2 things. Unfortionately I don't know which one solved the issue, but you can check individually if you have this problem.

I disabled Dropbox Backup (Documents and Desktop) und uninstalled GoodSync. Now I can use 'Save For Web' again!

I have a feeling Dropbox Backup Desktop was the issue. Have a try.

Hope I could help....

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Aug 04, 2021 Aug 04, 2021

You are completely right, I was the one that said the problem originated in Dropbox. If anyone does not know how to unsync the backup from dropbox, here's the procedure:

Click the Dropbox icon in your system tray (Windows) or menu bar (Mac). 
Click your profile picture or initials.
Click Preferences.
Click the Backups tab. (Previously Import tab)
Click Manage backup. 
Uncheck the folders you’d like to remove from Dropbox or toggle all files to Off. 
Click Save.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 129 Replies 129
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Photoshop 22.5.0 and the issue is here too.

Reading other comments, I guess the origine at my end is the Desktop and Documents folders synced to OneDrive/Sharepoint. Which is set by the IT department at work, and I need to have. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here its must be to do with "save for web" Quick export as png" has no permission issues,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2021 Dec 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went back and installed one of the older versions (22.5) and it's working again. Going back one version (from 23.0.2 to 23.0.1) didn't work.

It's not your settings if it's working one minute and not working the next. The issue is with Adobe and it's frankly pretty infuriating to pay the prices we do and end up with useless "support" like I've seen here!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2021 Dec 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solution: File>Export>Export as>

I think the problem is when trying to save as 'save for web (legacy)

ADOBE - FIX THIS PLEASE!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2021 Dec 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I discovered that when I received the same error, Dropbox was the culpret. When I go to preferences in dropbox and disable backup the My computer checkbox, prior to PS save for web, the problem is solved. Once you have saved your file, re-enable the dropbox checkboxs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2021 Dec 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ps 23.0.2, Save for web(Legacy), save gif file, same problem.... I also have dropbox connected, but when I move to none dropbox connected location, the problem still there. pls solve the problem asap.... T.T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 18, 2021 Dec 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Dropbox do you have installed? I cannot reproduce with version 136.4.4345

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 20, 2022 Jan 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dropbox V139.4.4896

As soon as I updated PS, it broke the Save for Web interface. My dropbox rev hasn't changed (that I know of). Something in PS broke. Please fix - we rely on Save for Web to keep file sizes manageable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2021 Dec 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue with my macbook air m1. Pretty ridiculous that Adobe can't seem to fix this yet, this is a feature I use daily and it's a total pain in the rear that it doesn't work properly. This thread was started at the beginning of the year and it seems it's still an issue a year later, pretty sad state of support Adobe. I am using the most updated operating system & most updated photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2022 Feb 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Man, this is really screwing my workflow to a dead stop.

It has gotten to the point that I cant save anything from Photoshop ANYWHERE!

How about Adobe fix the issues they created!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2022 Feb 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So It seems like the Dropbox thing worked for me as well!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2022 Mar 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi This just happened to me. 

I followed the Dropbox instructions and it's worked. Though as I'm constatnly saving ps files for web and need my Dropbox to be regularly synced, surely Adobe has a better work around than just 'turning Dropbox sync off?' Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2022 Mar 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You only ever have to do this once then turn sync back on, then it'll continue to work as normal. It's to do with file permissions with Dropbox and is not an Adobe issue. The solution by Jorge Fdz solved it for me - I only need to do it once, and have my dropbox sync for all my files, including desktop, running again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2022 Mar 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amazing. Thanks for letting me know

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2022 Mar 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all - I experienced the same issue for few hours after not having worked on any content (images) for the past five years. An hour with Camerabits (I use Photomechanic) and their PM Log generation didn't go anywhere, but the signs pointed to "xmp" not getting updated for all image files (RAW, JPG with xmp) on external drives! Had no issue with anyfiles on MacintoshHD!

The mesage "Unable to save the raw conversion settings" "There was a write permission error", has nothing to do with Adobe or in my case Photomechanic. I don't use drop box so can't suggest a fix for the sync issue.

For an iMac, I RESOLVED the issue by going to the (External Drives), and:

1: Right Clicking on the drive to the dialog. Clicked on "Get Info"

2: In the info tab, I unlocked the drive by entering password

3: Under my name I made sure that "Read and Write" was under Privilege column

4: I then clicked on the dropdown arrow under "Name" and "Privilege" column and choose Apply to enclosed items option.

5: Another dialog appeared asking "Are you sure you want to apply the selected owner, group, and permissions to all the enclosed items? You can't undo this "Cancel" "OK". I clicked "OK" and problem solved.

Hope this helps all who are faced with this fiasco due to Operating system updates.

Cheers!

PS: please forgive typos, if any

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 22, 2022 May 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop still not able to <Save for web> with Dropbox backup enabled. Fiddly and inconvenient to disable.

Workaround : In Photoshop <Save for web>, Click <Preview> button bottom-left; your animated GIF will open in your default browser, right-click the gif in the browser and <Save image …> either to Downlaods or nominated folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2023 Jul 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!! None of the Dropbox instructions worked for me. This did. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2022 Jul 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why can't this be fixed instead of us (paying customers) having to do workarounds. And why does it work one day and not the next? Why is Canva all the way around easier and doesn't cost a thing vs. the ridiculous cost of an Adobe product that I never know will work?!?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The solution is in this thread - it takes 30 seconds and only needs to be done once. This is not actually an Adobe issue - it is to do with file permissions using Dropbox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Turning Dropbox sync off and on again is a non-trivial exercise. 30 seconds was incorrect for me.
  • Given no other app's – or even Photoshop – 'Save' interaction with Dropbox seems to be affected, Adobe seems to have implemented an unconventional approach for 'Save for web' that's uniquely triggered a conflict with Dropbox. So, I'd expect Adobe to take responsibility and the intitiative here.
  • Adobe should be aware a signigicant chunk of their users would use Dropbox, and collaborate with Dropbox if a solution is beyond their scope. But, again, no other 'Save' function with Dropbox is affected, so I'd imagine there are inhouse solutions available to Adobe.
  • @Loxley A22451104mfpt is correct that paying customers will always be evalauting against challenger competitors such as Canva, which is surprisingly capable and beginning to resonate with Adobe Indesign v Quark Xpress back in the day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2022 Aug 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Couldn't have put it better myself. This is most definitely an Adobe issue. The turning Dropbox on and off again doesn't work and I've been left not having to use save for web for nearly a year now. Crazy they haven't fixed this issue yet.

I've not changed my Dropbox in years but the moment I'd updated to the newest Ps there was an issue. So it lies with Adobe to fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2022 Aug 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Goddammit this is frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2022 Dec 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue for a fresh system build of a 2019 Macbook Pro (Intel) running MacOS 13.0.1, Adobe Photoshop 24.0.1, and Dropbox v163.3.5436. 
The problem has been solved by taking these s
teps: 

1. Disable Dropbox Backups while keeping all files on computer
  2. Restart Mac Finder after it crashes
  3. Test Save For Web functionality from Adobe Photoshop 24.0.1
  4. Saved file successfully to the Desktop
  5. Reenable Dropbox Backup for Desktop only
  6. Restart Mac Finder after crash
  7. Test Save For Web functionality from Adobe Photoshop 24.0.1
  8. Saved file successfully to the Desktop

I spent an hour with Dropbox support and informed them to the problem and solution. Fingers crossed whatever this bug is it will be fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2022 Dec 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another option (after I tried EVERYTHING, to no avail). I did Export>Save for Web>Save. BUT I saved to a folder, not my desktop and the error triangle disappeared. OMG Adobe please fix this. I spent two hours messing with the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 18, 2023 Feb 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two years on and this is not fixed? I'm getting it today on PS 24.1 and Ventura 13.2.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines