Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Save For Web error A write permissions error has occurred Photoshop 22.1.1

New Here ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am using the PS 22.1.1 version and when I try to save for web I get the error. "Adobe Save For Web Error A write permissions error has occurred " 

Any help?

{Thread title edited by Moderator}

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

Hi there,

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear about the permissions related error when you're trying to save a file using the Save for Web option in Photoshop.

Thanks for sharing the version info. Could you please let us know the macOS version you're working with?

Could you please try granting Read and Write permissions to the Adobe folder at the locations mentioned in the link: Required permissions for Photoshop

If that doesn't help, then try creating a new user account on the Mac & let us know

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Hello,

I just solved this problem on my Mac by doing 2 things. Unfortionately I don't know which one solved the issue, but you can check individually if you have this problem.

I disabled Dropbox Backup (Documents and Desktop) und uninstalled GoodSync. Now I can use 'Save For Web' again!

I have a feeling Dropbox Backup Desktop was the issue. Have a try.

Hope I could help....

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Aug 04, 2021 Aug 04, 2021

You are completely right, I was the one that said the problem originated in Dropbox. If anyone does not know how to unsync the backup from dropbox, here's the procedure:

Click the Dropbox icon in your system tray (Windows) or menu bar (Mac). 
Click your profile picture or initials.
Click Preferences.
Click the Backups tab. (Previously Import tab)
Click Manage backup. 
Uncheck the folders you’d like to remove from Dropbox or toggle all files to Off. 
Click Save.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 129 Replies 129
Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, are you trying to save it to a protected folder maybe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no the message appears no matter where I try to save... (I have Dropbox that makes a backup of my computer?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think so. I'm just trying to save to my downloads or desktop folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 22, 2022 May 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop still not able to <Save for web> with Dropbox backup enabled. Fiddly and inconvenient to disable.

Workaround : In Photoshop <Save for web>, Click <Preview> button bottom-left; your animated GIF will open in your default browser, right-click the gif in the browser and <Save image …> either to Downlaods or nominated folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2022 Jun 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Genius! This workaround did it for me, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2022 Sep 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant solution. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2022 Sep 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This workaround was awesome! Saved me an hour of research and headaches 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2022 Nov 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great work around without having to turn off dropbox

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2022 Nov 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me as well with PS 2023. And interestingly enough, as soon as I saved it from the web browser, I was also able to save it from within Photoshop! Weird!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2023 Jan 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the only thing that worked for me. Thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2023 Feb 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU GENIUS 2 ! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2023 Mar 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there, it didn't work for me 😞 Also I need to create an automated workflow so it wouldn't do it anyway. Do you have any other solution. Why is it that dropbox is an issue? I am actually saving all my projects in dropbox and it has always been working. 😞 so frustrating. thanks for any help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My impression is that when using Dropbox Backup of your Desktop it's moving your desktop folder into a sub folder in the Users/YourName folder. And because of this Save For Web Legacy isn't programmed to accept that. Save for web legacy is a very old part of photoshop and may have some code that isn't flexible enough for the scenario. 
Since my previous post where I was able to disable/reenable DB BU, after my last system update reenabling the feature just breaks it again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply.  The strange thing is that it's been working for quite some time and then it suddenly stops working. I find it so weird. If it is as you said, because "For Web Legacy isn't programmed to accept that", then it should never work, right? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2023 Apr 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah. Just saw this and tried it worked. It would be nice if Adobe fixed this annoying bug - time waste.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2023 Apr 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I have been 2 hours in the chat with Adobe support trying many different scenarios and nothing worked until tried to log in to my Mac with a different account where Dropbox was not working and it worked. So I contacted dropbox to help me stop the backup which I thought was connected with sync but they are two separate things. I don't need to have a backup of the Mac because I have everything on dropbox. 

So like @Pixel Worker said, now I have disabled the Dropbox back up and the save for web is working. End of the sad story LOL

Thanks a lot for all your help 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2023 Oct 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tks!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2023 Nov 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked! I still haven't figured out how to remove the permissions error, however.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2024 Jan 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Makes perfect sense! Thanks for sharing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2024 Feb 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

weirdly having the permissions issue suddenly, i did this workaround then tried to export normally again just to see... and export worked fine. previous save was sending me to my documents folder, now it's choosing the folder with the original psd on my desktop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2024 Feb 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this genius solution!
Nothing worked and after nearly two hours of frustration I find your workaround.  The odd thing is that sometimes the legacy save starts working again and then just as randomly stops - so this is going to be useful indefiniately. Wish that Adobe would fix this bug once and for all!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2021 Jan 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem, can't save a gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem. Any thoughts, Adobe? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines