• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pain't cannot read this file. This is not a valid bitmap file or it's format is not currently suppo

Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2013 May 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have some photos of a warehouse fire in Plymouth Indiana.  Files were saved as .jpg  Can't get them to open.

One message is "

Pain't cannot read this file.  This is not a valid bitmap file or it's format is not currently supported.

Couldn’t display DSC-0023.jpg because a suitable graphics importer could not be found.

Carl Beason

Windows 7, Photoshop cs4

Help Please

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,
May 25, 2013 May 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Provide an example file.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2013 May 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for responding, but I can't do that..  Here are some of the error messages I have recieved

Pain't cannot read this file.  This is not a valid bitmap file or it's format is not currently supported.

Couldn’t display DSC-0023.jpg because a suitable graphics importer could not be found.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try jpegSnoop to see what it reports on the file...

http://www.impulseadventure.com/photo/jpeg-snoop.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tried Jpgsnoop.  I could try making a small donation, but when they say free, it isn't.  It's one of those programs that will load your computer with ads and change you Internet Browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As has been suggested above, I would explore Opening the files in another program first, and if successful, just doing a Save_As from that program.

I do not know how sensitive Paint might be, but Ps really wants the JPEG header info to be well-formed. I often encounter JPEG errors in Ps, and my first stop is to IrfanView (free), or ThumbsPlus (commercial), as both seem much more lenient with JPEG's. I have only had a few files, that nothing on my computer would open. I assume that they were just too corrupt.

With either my IrfanView, or ThumbsPlus, when Opened, I do a Save_As, and choose a low compression/high-quality JPEG. If you other program supports Save_As PSD, that would be my # 1 choice, and keep JPEG out of the mix from that point on.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Carl, I'm confused.  Your topic title says "Pain't cannot read this file". Did you mean to type Photoshop?

Also that seems to be a file from a digital camera.  Is it in some special compressed format or anything like that?

You say you also have Photoshop CS4.  Have you tried opening the file in Photoshop rather than in Paint?

Message was edited by: station_two

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No.. Photoshop won't open them, neither will Irfanview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for clarifying.  Sounds like a corrupted file then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop won't open them, neither will Irfanview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The entire world of software is trying to tell you the file is corrupted.

Look for a backup copy.  You DO back your work up, right?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines