Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photohop - Different colors after printing

Participant ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I ´d like to ask you. I created the colorful rectangles in Photoshop, I worked in CMYK. After printing I noticed that the colors look different that in Photoshop. I followed the video tutorial what I found on youtube, and the result is not the same, I can not find the reason. I noticed also that in the bottom of paper are visible white, soft lines. Can you, please, advise me? Thanks

1. picture is the screenshot from Photoshop 2. Printed document

PHOTOSHOP.pngPRINTED.jpg

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

If you want to work in CMYK you MUST work in the profile for your target device. SWOP coated is for a printing press, with particular ink and paper. You'd need a CMYK profile for your Canon printer. But this is impossible; your printer uses five inks, not CMYK at all. You therefore MUST work in RGB.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant , Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Aha, okey, now it is totally clear to me, because usually when I prepare document in CMYK is for certain professional print studio. Thank you for your help! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few questions, all are relevant to matching colour.

1. You say you are working in CMYK. Which specific CMYK profile have you used for your document?

2. Is your monitor calibrated and profiled and what settings were used for that profile? Have you ensured that you monitor controls have not changed since making the profile?

3. What did you print on. If it was an RGB inkjet then you should really be using an RGB document, but also did you select an ICC printer profile specific to your printer and paper combination? If you printed on a press was your CMYK document in the profile matching that press.

4. Are you viewing the print under controlled conditions that mean the plain paper and monitor white match?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

the printer is Canon Pixma 6850. As first I created the document in CMYK, 300 DPI. CMYK: U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2I, then I chose "File" , "Print". I set up - Color Handling: Photoshop Manages Colors, Print profile: Name of my printer, "Normal printing", Renderic Intent: Relative Colorimetric In the past I printed various documents by the other way, but the colors were the same, or very similar, so did not look so different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to work in CMYK you MUST work in the profile for your target device. SWOP coated is for a printing press, with particular ink and paper. You'd need a CMYK profile for your Canon printer. But this is impossible; your printer uses five inks, not CMYK at all. You therefore MUST work in RGB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aha, okey, now it is totally clear to me, because usually when I prepare document in CMYK is for certain professional print studio. Thank you for your help! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

1. If you are using an RGB inkjet (which your PIXMA 6850 is) , work with your document in an RGB profile - for example Adobe RGB1998 which encompasses a good range of colours for printing.

2. You haven't yet answered. The first step of matching screen and print is to ensure your monitor is profiled

3. See 1 above for your document.
In the Photoshop print dialogue there should be two entries next to Color management.

a. Color Handling

b. Printer Profile

How are those set?

4. You haven't yet answered

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The Canon Pixma is an RGB device [it uses an RGB print pipeline], therefore, its pointless working in CMYK unless you are trying to make a prepress proof.

I suggest you work in an RGB colourspace like Adobe RGB and, then, when printing, set Photoshop's print dialog to 'Photoshop manages color '- selecting in that dropdown menu list a profile for your Canon printer and the loaded media.

How does it look now?
If you're comparing to the screen you'll need that screen to be calibrated and profiled and viewed in subdued light - also for the print to be viewed in good daylight. 

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management
[please only use the blue reply button at the top of the page, this maintains the original thread title and chronological order of posts]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines