• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2019 maintain aspect ratio on SHIFT key inconsistent

Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the new 2019 update the Free Transform tool now has fixed aspect ratio on scale set to default and you hold the SHIFT key to scale non-uniform.

This would be fine if it was always the case.  The problem is that it is not the case on vector objects, the use of the SHIFT key is reversed.

Unfortunately it would seem that smart objects are treated as vector objects so when editing a document that has a mix of normal raster layers and smart object layers it can get very confusing when you come to scale the layers.  The raster layers don't use shift to constrain aspect and the smart object layers do use shift to constrain the aspect.

If scaling is going to be fixed aspect ratio by default that is fine but please make this consistent throughout all objects in the software.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Hi

You can revert to the legacy transform method

New and enhanced features | Latest release of Photoshop CC

Take a look at this bit

How do I turn off the new proportional scaling by default behavior while transforming layers?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 109 Replies 109
Explorer ,
Nov 22, 2018 Nov 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mmm, and while it's not a huge one (and to be fair it's consistent with other Adobe apps), I've had to train my left hand to get used to the new "Step Backwards" command -- now you simply keep pressing Ctrl Z -- that's an example of a good change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 12, 2018 Dec 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS was already like that years ago and then they changed it, to many complaints. Took a decade to go back to the old way. Go figure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 11, 2019 Feb 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh God I haven't had to use Ctrl + F yet, but that is going to break me when it happens

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 30, 2018 Nov 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A little unrelated, but just in case...

I'd already created a PSUserConfig.txt file as a way to workaround the pen pressure issues that Photoshop has with tablets, so basically you only need to add the line of code underneath the existing one... Sorry if this sounds super obvious and trite, but I'm not super au fait with this kind of thing, and I'm glad the whole thing works as one file!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2018 Dec 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FIXED using this: How do I turn off the new proportional scaling by default behavior while transforming layers?

To revert to the legacy transform behavior, do the following:

1. Use Notepad (Windows) or a text editor on Mac OS to create a plain text file (.txt).
  2. Type the text below in the text file:

TransformProportionalScale 0

3. (Windows) Save the file as "PSUserConfig.txt" to your Photoshop settings folder. [Installation Drive]:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 Settings\

(macOS) Do the following:
    1. Save the file as "PSUserConfig.txt" to the desktop.
    2. Control-click PSUserConfig.txt saved at the desktop and choose Copy from the pop-up menu.
    3. In the Finder, choose Go > Go To Folder. In the Go To Folder dialog box, type ~/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 Settings/
    4. Paste the copied file at this location.
    1. Restart Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    Explorer ,
    Dec 13, 2018 Dec 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does not work.. i have tried it over and over and over again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    Community Beginner ,
    Dec 13, 2018 Dec 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adobe, this is SOOOO #*&((@#&* stupid. 

I have been holding shift to constrain proportions since 1990.  that's freaking 28 years guys.  And you can't even give me a check box tho turn this "Feature" off?

Regards,

Everyone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    Community Beginner ,
    Dec 14, 2018 Dec 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good going Adobe - have to just f*k things up for us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    Explorer ,
    Jan 08, 2019 Jan 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow!!! Thanks this worked.

I can't believe Adobe was so stupid to think this is how Pro users want to use the software. Holding Shift is a universal action. Please stop changing things that everyone uses, every day!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    Explorer ,
    Jan 14, 2019 Jan 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did literally ANYONE ask for this?

And why do I have to edit my registry to change it? Why not just make it a preference?!

Adobe: it wasn't broke, you didn't need to fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    New Here ,
    Jan 25, 2019 Jan 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally feel your pain! I don't mind them changing the shortcut but at least keep it consistent between bitmap +  vector. Can't understand the logic behind that

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    Community Beginner ,
    Jun 09, 2019 Jun 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi this answer doesn't work for me as I work in various different agencies and can't be messing with code.

Surely in preferences Adobe could help their users out by putting a little check-box for having this new function turned on or off?

I'd like to introduce Adobe to a little saying that is helpful at times and would save their paying customers time:

If it aint broke, don't fix it.

I have now spent 30 minutes of my work day trying to revert this back so it matches my other software without success. What exactly drives these maddeningly un-intuitive 'developments'? Do they get paid per useless help page views? Jeez.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    Community Expert ,
    Jun 10, 2019 Jun 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First you need to realize you not dealing with Adobe here on this web site.  Adobe set this site up for users to help one and other out using Adobe Software.  I have been using Adobe Photoshop for 20+ years.  If you can not be messing with software work around bugs and adapt to change you need to find an image editor other than Photoshop.  Adobe  changes  how Photoshop works adds and removes features, modifies how Photoshop behaves and introduces bugs.   Adobe does not address all bugs reported and acknowledged bugs remain in Photoshop.  Incompatibilities exist between versions Adobe Layered file can be saved with some extra data to help with compatibility issues between version.  A full composite image is stored in these files and some layer can be processed by Photoshop versions as a raster layer if the layered file contains a layer that has a feature you version of Photoshop does not support. My advice to you is look for a different image editor before you develop a dependency on some Photoshop feature.  Photoshop is not the software for you.

Adobe support over the years has not changed it is like I described.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks but not helpful at all to suggest to learn a new software because the current one decides to change a small but frequently used function. You are also assuming that another image editing software would not make any changes to its operating functionality that would impair productivity in future.

I feel this is bad advice and a sorry attitude, basically saying suck up all the rubbish updates and if you can't go somewhere else, as opposed to questioning the validity, reasoning or purpose behind the change. It's just lazy and accepting of terrible UX. This is a change incidentally which makes it inconsistent to other Adobe software overnight and for no good reason. I admire your ability to accept illogical and productivity impairing changes, I don't think it's good for the development of brilliant software though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have what ever opinion of my advice you want.  I'm just relating to you my 20+ years experience with Photoshop. You will find in the years to come Adobe will make changes that effect user work habits and procedures. Adobe will add and remove features.  There will be bugs added. Not all bugs will be fixed there will be new compatibility issues.  Adobe behavior has been quite consistence over the years. I do not believe yow will see Adobe change its ways. Do what is best for yourself. If you want to give Adobe ideas, advice, submit bug reports ask for changes you  should use their feedback site.  Photoshop Family Customer Community

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What 4Dyce76​ is talking about is NOT a bug it was an idiotic change from some useless staff member probably some young gun with a big ego trying to put his stamp on the program to justify their job, rather than put the users who actually pay crap loads of money for the software first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand that on day one I added the Item to my PSSuserConfig.txt file to revert to Photoshop old consistent transform behavior. This time we were lucky Adobe provide a way to revert.  In the past Adobe did not provide such option.  We had to complain and wait fore several version for Adobe to provide a option to Photoshop so we coul  have ESC  cancel a mistake we made using the text tool with text tool instead of committing bad text mistakes because Adobe changed the behavior for some thought that was it was a good idea. Personally I like ESC toe be a consistent cancel key.  This is not the first time Adobe adversely changed Photoshop behavior and I do not believe it will be the last time.

]]

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    Community Expert ,
    Aug 19, 2019 Aug 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Leepar  wrote

Dude you should realised this, you are just a whippersnapper 20 years Haha!. Photoshop is for Adobe and not for you or I. Their support is traditionally abysmal and is actually getting much worse. This preference has to be a default because the software is used by freelancers. Don't defend the indefensible especially since they don't pay you!

I was a whippersnapper back in 1945  when I just starting school.  Adobe Program support has always been poor I do not defend Adobe support behavior I never have. I have written may time Adobe support is not what it should be. I also can not change Adobe support as you point out I do not work for Adobe.  IMO Adobe need better management.

When Adobe made the Transform change they also provided a way using PsUsetConfif.txt  One could use to use the old consistency way which I did. That was better support then provider with older changes the have made. An update after that change Added A Photoshop Preferences you can use to use the legacy  Photoshop transform behavior.  Adobe felt their users heat this time.   Turn up the heat on Adobe why don't you... for me  Adobe support behavior is not Haha!.  I have been working with computer for over 60 years and have worked in support areas.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I'm also a designer that has been using Photoshop since 1993 (Photoshop 2.5 if I remember correctly lol).

I agree with everyone that says there should be a preference to keep this setting. If Adobe truly believes that younger users are using tablets more and more for photoshop use, then I understand the change, but it should not be forced upon people. A simple setting would have shown Adobe recognise that this can impact on professionals workflow, and more importantly, understand people become very reliant on methods that become ingrained! I for example still have my keyboard setting to Quark in InDesign!! In the studio I work in I have had to set the config file for every single designer. Not one person can get used to this change.

This forum is set up for users, but Adobe surely must monitor these feeds and take the necessary steps to continue to support its wide user base, younger and older!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Loll, you've got the same custom avatar like this guy, but mirrored: Stephen_A_Marsh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fry rocks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    Explorer ,
    Jun 18, 2019 Jun 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ask and ye shall receive...

free.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When will that roll out? My Photoshop says up-to-date, but no options showing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine updated when I logged in this morning, so I would imagine it's rolling out literally as I speak!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I'll keep an eye out! Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines