Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2019 Save for Web Error Mac OS Mojave

Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2018 Nov 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

I have an issue saving jpgs for web with my newly updated Photoshop 2019. I also recently updated my OS to Mojave.

When I try to save, there's a message saying:

"Adobe save for web error. Could not complete this operation. An unknown operating system error has occured."

Screen Shot 2018-11-10 at 15.28.23.png

I've uninstalled and reinstalled my Photoshop but it still didn't work. I tried older version of Photoshop it also didn't work. I've been trying out different settings as well as Googling it but I couldn't find the answer. If anyone happens to run into the same problem and know the answer that'd be super helpful. Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Nov 10, 2018 Nov 10, 2018

Sure, the "save for web" is deprecated and its mostly used for animated gifs. The right way is the export as .
This works in 2 ways. From "File/Export/Export as..." you are going to export the whole document/artbord and via the same command using the hamburger menu from layers panels you are going to export the single/multiple layers for web formats.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Dec 17, 2019 Dec 17, 2019

Hey guys, not sure if this will solve the issue for everyone, but it certainly solved it for me. I started experiencing this issue today after my Mac updated to Catalina 10.15.2 and my Photoshop updated to 21.0.2 (Photoshop 2020).

Upon updating Photoshop, I didn't realize that it would add an entirely new photoshop app to my computer (& different icon) instead of just "refurbishing" the 2019 app. So the solution that worked for me was to open up the 2020 version from the adobe creative cloud and

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2018 Nov 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Presumably you tried: File > Export > Save for Web (Legacy).

This facility has been deprecated but it should still appear.

Try resetting your Photoshop preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup I did. Is there any other way to save for web? I tried File > Export > Export As but compressing the image this way really messed up the quality of the image.

Resetting Photoshop preferences apparently didn't help either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes it could depend from a too big (in terms of pixels) image. Sometimes this error happens too when you try to export an animated gif who is too big.

Try to scale down your image or use it on a very small image, just to understand if the problem persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your respond. I tried with a very small image the dialog box still appears

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2019 Nov 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever find an answer to this problem?  I'm having same issue and have tried everything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2020 Jun 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had the same issue, the unkown error kept coming out when exporting a gif (save for web) from a mp4 short AE animation imported into photoshop layers. Because this was initially designed for screen format 1920x1080 was too big for a gif. Once I put the image down keeping the ratio, the exporting worked perfectly. Many thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, the "save for web" is deprecated and its mostly used for animated gifs. The right way is the export as .
This works in 2 ways. From "File/Export/Export as..." you are going to export the whole document/artbord and via the same command using the hamburger menu from layers panels you are going to export the single/multiple layers for web formats.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2018 Nov 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 05, 2019 Dec 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is a year old, but I'm getting this error now too. Got a new macbook pro. Installed Catalina. Installed PS 2020. I can open up the Save For Web window, but when I hit the save button I get the error seen in the origial post.

Unfortunately your solution to use File/Export/Export As... doesn't help me because I'm actually trying to save out an animated gif. Save For Web has been "legacy" for years, but it's the only way to fine-tune an export of an image for the web... and the ONLY way to save an animated gif.

I've done a few things to try to troubleshoot this problem, but nothing has worked. So far I have:
- Reset my preferences
- Deleted the Adobe Save for Web 13.0 Prefs
- Uninstalled and reinstalled Photoshop 2020
- Uninstalled and reinstalled an earlier version of 2020
- Added Photoshop to Privacy > Accessibilities. Couldn’t add it to Files and Folders though.

And no, my image isn't too big. Any thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2019 Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You ever find a solution? I also have Catalina and can't get anything to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2019 Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the issue has to do with the update to catalina 10.15.2,   thats when i think it first started for me...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2019 Dec 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same to me. It started with Catalina 10.15.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resetting the PRAM solved the problem for me. It's a very simple process, just make sure you follow the instructions properly and hold down the keys long enough. This is talked about more in the thread Silk-M posted above. It even includes links with instructions for how to reset your PRAM. BTW, there's also a link to reset the SMC, but I didn't need to do that part... just resetting the PRAM was enough to fix it for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

didn't work for me 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't work for me either, desperately trying to fix this problem. It's only begun today (automatic updates updated by Mac Pro to the newest Catalina overnight) and now I can no longer save gifs, though it was working just fine yesterday.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes resetting PRAM didn't fix for me either. 

Must be the update. 

I had made a call to Adobe this afternoon but it just rang endlessly. I'm going to try again later this weekend. Although not sure who has to fix it first. Adobe or Apple. 

Anyone else had any luck reaching Adobe about this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2019 Dec 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. I updated to 10.15.2 and all of a sudden the SAVE FOR WEB stopped working. I've tried all of the above recommendations and I'm still having the issue. Catalina has been the worst release to date...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am having this issue since the Catalina update.  

Doesn't matter what I am trying to save via Save for Web.

I deleted my Save for web preferences in my library.

Also reset the PRAM and NVRAM. 

All no luck.

Maybe this requires an update from adobe and/or apple?

Anyone else had any luck?  I have an important live GIF creation event next week and need this working by then.  Will have to roll back an OSX install if it is still broken.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried all of the above suggestions and NOTHING worked for me. I use CC 2018, but it was working fine before I updated to Catalina 10.15.2 this morning. 

I had an issue with Photoshop last year after updating to Mojave, and I eventually had to update from CS5 (after years of no issues) because of its incompatibility with the software. I really hope this doesn't happen again. I'm a gif-maker as well and need Save for Web to do it. Hopefully this issue is addressed by Adobe and/or Apple very soon, because we don't really have any other options if this is affecting everyone and all versions of PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2019 Dec 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still having the same problem. It is getting very frustrating... lol ... 2019 CC with macOS Catalina 10.15.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I gave a call to Apple today and they were patient yet didn't find a solution. 

Apple said it must have to do with the permissions in the Save For Web file in the library. 

Can we get someone from Adobe to chime in?

Most of my career is making GIFs unfortunately, and I have not been able to find a work around. I have a major live GIF event this upcoming week and need to find a solution beforehand. 

Adobe are you out there? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, not working and mentioned solutions didn't work... this is a key step for doing spliced jpgs for Instagram, which is a big part of my social media image marketing process. Awesome

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes so true. Completely forgot about slicing. 

We need a solution ASAP. 

Not having Save For Web is essentially bricking some people's workflows right now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines