• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2020 canvas "freezes" and remains on screen on Windows

New Here ,
Jan 25, 2020 Jan 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I began noticing an issue where a portion of my canvas freezes when I zoom in, and remains stuck on the screen. I can move the canvas normally, the stuck portion can't be interacted with, and if I move the canvas, it goes underneath the frozen portion.

I've updated to the latest version, made sure my drivers are up to date, and the issue doesn't seem to appear with any other programs, drawing or otherwise. Just on Photoshop. Closing the program removes the frozen portion, so does dragging Photoshop from my Cintiq to my main screen. 

I attached a file with an example of how it looks like, you can see the frozen canvas portion on the left side next to the toolbar. 

{Thread title edited by moderator}

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Jan 28, 2020 Jan 28, 2020

Hi there,

We are sorry about the exprience with Photoshop. 

Would you mind going to the "Preferences" of Photoshop, then "Performance" and uncheck the option to "Use Graphics Processor"? Once done, quit and relaunch Photoshop to check if that helps.

Also, please uninstall and re-install the latest drivers for your Wacom Cintiq tablet and the graphics card (from the manufacturers website). Then restart the computer to check if that makes any difference.

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Jan 31, 2020 Jan 31, 2020

It appears that reinstalling both Wacom Cintiq and GPU drivers fixed the issue for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 28, 2020 Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We are sorry about the exprience with Photoshop. 

Would you mind going to the "Preferences" of Photoshop, then "Performance" and uncheck the option to "Use Graphics Processor"? Once done, quit and relaunch Photoshop to check if that helps.

Also, please uninstall and re-install the latest drivers for your Wacom Cintiq tablet and the graphics card (from the manufacturers website). Then restart the computer to check if that makes any difference.

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I have the same problem as Illyriel, where a portion of the canvas freezes and stays, after I zoom out/in or move the canvas sometimes. It dissapears if I close and reopen photoshop, but it happens again after a while. I tried unchecking the "Use Graphics Processor" but that didn't help. 

I'm on Adobe Photoshop version: 20.0.3 20190130.r.57 2019/01/30: 1204598 x64

on Windows 10.

image stays in canvas when I zoom out. Canvas is underneath the image (top).image stays in canvas when I zoom out. Canvas is underneath the image (top).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 31, 2020 Jan 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, 

Sorry to here that you are also facing the same issue. I see you have mentioned that you are using Photoshop version 20.0.3. Please update Photoshop to the latest version and check if the issue persists. 

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using the latest Photoshop version, it doesn't solve the issue. I have two PCs with RTX 2060 Super and AMD RX 570, both have the same issue with the zoom tool, especially when using Smart Object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2020 Jan 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears that reinstalling both Wacom Cintiq and GPU drivers fixed the issue for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 13, 2020 May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a GTX 960 with up-to-date NVIDIA drivers and I'd like to put it to use. Disabling 3D acceleration may be a temporary workaround, but certainly not a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had the same problem for a long time. Since previous versions of Photoshop, even on other machines. The problem is always the same. I'm editing the file and, with the zoom movement, it freezes. Sometimes it freezes over and over again in a very short time. It's terrible! Please fix this, it's bizarre!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this issue's been present for me across many different hardware platforms and different versions throughout, and is still present on your latese version PS 2021 today. stop spamming the same "turn off gpu processor" for everything, and please do some actual investigation and fix. your products since 2 years ago have been utterly unusable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2021 May 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how is that an option to fix it?? to uncheck Graphics Processor? what the hell, this causes alot more problems, do you even use Photoshop? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can we get this removed as the 'Correct answer' please. Notice the date of this January 2020! Why has this issue not been resolved? What are Adobe doing about it? If Adobe answer these questions we might be closer to the 'Correct answer' 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 07, 2020 Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same error.  
I don't use any tablet and I can't reinstall GPU drivers, since I'm on  MacOS.
I'm on a Mac Pro Mid 2012 12Core 40Gb Ram with a Saphine RX580 Nitro 8Gb
Everything was fine until I updated my firmware to install Mojave.  I thought the problem was in Mojave, so I got back to High Sierra and the problem persists.  It happens much less than it did in Mojave.

Is there any other solution?
Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2020 Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also have the same issue on my 2016 Mac Book Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 11, 2020 May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. Zoomed in and using hand tool (space bar) is causing the cavas to freeze, but photoshop remains working. I can see navigation box moving, but canvas stays froze. Unchecking "Use Graphics Processor" made things worse. Photoshop lags and canvas blinks on and off. 

Photoshop: 21.1.2 
iMac: macOS Catalina 10.15.4 / 32 GB memory

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ive got the same issue (on mac). Had it for a while now. Is the adobe team working on a fix for this as turning off my graphics card is not a solution as it makes it unbearable to work in?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this problem about every 15 minutes when zooming into large images. It's usually when I'm zoomed into the upper left corner of the image. When I want to pan the canvas to somewhere else, Photoshop resets the view to the upper left corner immediately. After trying to move the canvas two or three more times, it freezes completely and the only way to fix it is to restart Photoshop. This is incredibly annoying given its frequency.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 14, 2020 May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. The only saving grace is that photoshop itself doesn't freeze, which allows me to save the file and not lose my work. It's not neceary to restart the photoshop to continue working, simply closing and reopening the file does the trick. Problem with this "workaround" however is that file is 18488x9244 px with 16 layers, so it takes up to 3 minutes to save and  reopen the file so I can continue working. And the bug keeps happening every 20 minutes on average. I'm on windows using cintiq with all the latest everything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Closing the file works, but from my experience it tends to happen again almost immediately, so restarting is a bit more reliable. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Setting hardware acceleration settings to "Basic" seems to reduce the frequency at which this happens a little.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 21, 2020 May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed the new photoshop update yesterday, but continue to have same issue with canvas freezing. Is there another topic similar to this one I should be looking at, because the "Correct answer by Nikunj.m | Adobe Employee" is not the correct answer for my issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 22, 2020 May 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We are sorry about the experience with Photoshop. Would you mind sharing the operating system of the computer you are working on? Have you tried to re-install the Wacom drivers to check if that helps?

You can go to the Preferences for Photoshop, then Performance and check the option fot Legacy Compositing. Once done, relaunch Photoshop and check if that helps. You can also try disabling Rulers by going to the View menu.

You can also check: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/tablet-support-faq-photoshop.html

Please let us know how it goes!

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 28, 2020 May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not have a Wacom or Wacom drivers installed, but I'm having the same issue as above. When moving an image and using the hand tool(space bar), while zoomed, the image randomly freezes. I can see the side bar sliders moving when zooming in and out, but the image stays froze. I can change tools using shortcuts, but the cursor remains as a black arrow. I'm able to save the image and reopen, but this is extremely annoying and slowing me down. 

I have tried changing Drawing Mode to Basic/Normal and turned off rulers.  Unchecking 'Use Graphic Processors' is not an option. It makes things worse. I will try reverting back using legacy compositing and see how it goes.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
macOS Catalina Version 10.115.4
Adobe Photoshop Version: 21.1.3 

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 29, 2020 May 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me add that this also occurred frequently with my old Intuos 4, but switching to a brand new Intuos Pro with freshly-installed drivers hasn't changed that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 29, 2020 May 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Checking the option for 'Legacy Compositing' did not work, even after restarting Photoshop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2021 Jul 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having same problem. They give me solution but it's not working. I am annyoed because of this problem.

Let me know if something fixed your problem. Till then i am using PS 2019 version which was working fine .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines