Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2020 crashing on Windows 10

Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2019 Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,
I have a problem with Photoshop CC 2019-2020 .
I reinstall it many times, and nothing more is better. It's closed ALONE ! I do nothing .I open it , it quit, i create or open a file, close alone again , work 1-5mm and close like that.
I'm on Windows 10 64bit Home Edition.
Do you have a solution to keep it OPEN ?
Thanks.

{Thread renamed by moderator}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about Photoshop is crashing,could you please try deselecting "Use Graphics Processor" located in Photoshop's Preferences > Performance, then relaunch Photoshop and let us know if it helps?

Does Photoshop crash when you open a specific file format?

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2019 Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying without Graphic Processor ..
But Photoshop Crash with anything ... not specific file format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2019 Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How exactly can you get to the photoshop preferences if the app is crashing before you can do anything?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2019 Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Annotation 2019-11-15 034907.jpg

With that options .. on or off. same way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 23, 2020 Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We can get them easily (I run into the same problem): we launch it, it holds for about 40 seconds, then quits. Within these approx. 40 seconds we can get access to the preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2019 Nov 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have de-selected Use Graphics Processor and it still crashes. It crashes when I try to crop, view image, save, use the lasso, pretty much everything. Do you have any other suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there
I have the same problem. Just bought a new laptop, Windows 10, everything on latest versions, installed Adobe Photoshop Elements 2020 and imported catalogue from previous version Elements 15. Each click on a video let the program crash. Have also installed all format extensions on Windows 10 to deal with videos. Same videos work without problem in 'Windows Foto' app, but crash in Elements 2020.
It is getting annoying and I cannot even synchronize my iPhone 7 (iOS 13.2) via iTunes anymore. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. I initially though it was only when working with brushes but it is now happening with selection tools and clone stamps. same even after setting legacy compositing.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm up-to-date on all my software and it continues to crash doing the simplest tasks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm up-to-date on all my software and drivers, and it continues to crash doing the simplest tasks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 18, 2019 Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue in Windows 10 but I have the professional edition. After the upgrade to 2020 Photoshop it only occasionally crashed but today I can't open a PDF file or an EPS file without it crashing everytime. I can open JPGs. I've deleted my preferences. I've uninstalled, reinstalled but it still happens. I have a job that has to go out today and this is beyond frustrating. Also I noticed that after I've deleted my preferences and reset them and then open a file that crashes the program, my preferences were not saved. I even opened a jpg after I'd reset my preferences but then I tried to open a PDF and it erased my preferences when I had to restart.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2019 Dec 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue, and turn off GPU doesn't help, in fact making PSD even slower.

I re-installed 3 times, with no luck.

Just a mess.

This lasso tool crash just freezes and crashes, and doesn't even save a recovery file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 02, 2019 Dec 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I gave up and downloaded and reinstalled photoshop 2019. I wasted so much time on 2020 and 2019 works just fine.

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2019 Dec 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here! Just did a clean re-install a week ago. 4 days ago the Photoshop App just starts crashing...

Yesterday tried un-installing 21.0.2 for 21.0.1 AND 24 hrs it was pure magic.

Today all crashes. So frustrating! Where is Adobe? Not a word and no solution!

Livid with Adobe

Sundiata

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 22, 2019 Dec 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rolling back to the previous PS worked great for quite awhile but now it’s crashing. I tried to open a pdf and down it went over and over again. Yes where is Adobe?!

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2020 Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone here from Adobe or find any answers on this? 

the 2020 edition is still crashing for me, it started with editting Raw files, and now its freezing my computer if I try to just edit a jpeg. 

I have tried the above mentioned solutions, but no go. 

All my drivers are up to date

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 16, 2020 Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

MLinder posted a reply that fixed my problem. I had Extensis Font Management on my computer but was no longer using it as it doesn't play well with Adobe products anymore (not that it ever played very well with them). I don't have the link to that reply but I did take a screen shot in case I ever needed to look at it again: 

Extensis Photoshop fix.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 22, 2019 Dec 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm probably just shouting into the void here, with no one listening. But it just needs to be said somewhere, whether anyone's listening or not.

A modern computer and all its software is a complex beast where things interact and rely on other things. Any one thing happening is a result of a long chain of events. One weak link in the chain can trigger problems much further downstream.

A good example is OpenCL, where Photoshop sends calculations off to the GPU, and then gets the result back later. If the video driver messes this up, the application that crashes is Photoshop. So Photoshop gets the blame. Everyone who has been around this forum for some time, knows that buggy video drivers is the curse of Photoshop. Along with third party extensions and plugins. They all need to work flawlessly, or Photoshop will crash and burn.

That's not to say Photoshop can't have bugs and problems, of course it does, just like any other software. What I'm saying is that troubleshooting isn't as straightforward as many think. To get to the real problem, you need to keep an open mind and look at the whole chain. What has changed since the last time it worked? OK, Photoshop may have been updated. But chances are a lot of other software also got updated at the same time. We all tend to take time-outs and run all available updates at the same time.

And even so, a Photoshop update can easily trigger latent problems that were in fact there the whole time. New calls, new functions, tightened procedures with added error-checking code. Boom.

There. And now we can go back to the normal blame game.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guess I'm late to the game here, but my Adobe crap just started falling apart a few months ago. All downhill since then. PS and LR are basically useless.

With respect to D. Fosse....NO OTHER APP crashes my Mac. NONE. You guys build a product to work in an enviroinment that you should understand. Yes it's complex, and yes it's heterogenous, but it's the same environment that EVERY OTHER APP I USE WORKS IN......AND THEY DON'T CRASH!

Please fix your product to make it fit for purpose, and please refuund your dis-satisfied customers for their months of none-utility of your unstable products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The latest crashes (for me anyway) are directly from a Photoshop update. On my computer it's due to having more than one graphics processor (3 monitors). It worked fine until the update. Adobe acknowledges that it changed how Photoshop interacts with video cards and have a list of graphics cards that they are saying will no longer work with PS (mine's newer and NOT listed). There are some people that have gone back to an earlier version of PS, I have done extensive research trying to find a solution. The only problem is that Creative Cloud only goes back a couple versions, and the one that actually works - before the graphics card change - is not listed in CC. As I said, Adobe acknowledges it made the changes, but now I have to use my laptop (where I have an older version of PS) every time I want to use Photoshop and it works fine, but it's irritating that I'm paying for something that won't work correctly. Adobe gave me 3 free months of CC for my trouble but offer no solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 23, 2020 Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What the f8ck, guys?!? Where's anybody from Adobe who's "always ready to help"? Just the only one useless answer from 'em and no any other help... However, the solution is as simple as nobody can ever guess... You just have to start the installation of the that useless Adobe Creative Cloud (even you don't have to wait until it ends - you can interrupt the installation process) -  and yes, it will fix the problem - Photoshop will work properly again! I really don't understand such kind of behavior of the giant corporation that really doesn't care about their customers... Such a shame Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 26, 2020 Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WOW! You got Photoshop 2020 to work! Thats great!

I'm running WINDOWS 10 on a 2017 DELL Inspirion 15 7569 and NOTHING has worked for me. A couple of other 'community members' have all had the same issues. For anybody else listening out there the best solution for me was to just install PS 2019.

Would you mind typing those steps to your process out so the rest of us can see if it will work in our worlds?

Much Appreciated,

Sundiata

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where do you find previous installation files since installation is done through CC now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2021 Feb 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Zach5C3C,

Im on a PC so I hope this works for you.

When you choose to un-install or update you current version of PS do the following:

1. On the desktop CCD(Creative Cloud Desktop) go to your App index.
  2. Mouse over to the installation menu mouse over the 'Open' button
  3. There you will see 3 choices to Learn More...Other Versions...Un-Install
  4. Click/mouse over other versions
  5. Select an older version of PS that you think might work

Included screen shote to help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines