Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2021 Canvas freezes and becomes unresponsive

LEGEND ,
Aug 06, 2021 Aug 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

i have been having problems with freezes of Adobe Photoshop 21 over several updates.

I am using a graphics tablet to draw in Photoshop and on certain occasions, i have not found the trigger so far, the canvas freezes.
That means i can still save and use the toolbar at the top, but the canvas is stuck and i cannot interact with it.
My cursor is a normal mouse cursor, no matter what tool I select.
I cannot move the canvas and i cannot hide the canvas or interact with it in any way.

Restarting Photoshop fixes it immediately.

I am using Photoshop 21, newest version with a graphics tablet.
The bug occurs for multiple tablets.
I use Windows 10 with a somewhat beefy pc that easily handles Photoshop with all its quirks.

Thanks in advance for any help ❤️

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Explorer ,
Sep 21, 2021 Sep 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue on different systems with different specs. The only thing the two systems have in common is that they're both running Windows 10 and use a Nvidia GPU. All drivers are up to date.

One thing that I have noticed right now is that it has happened twiche in a row on different documents while I was working in Quick Mask mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 21, 2021 Sep 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: It has happened four more times since my last comment. Every time the canvas froze while I was panning it with my mouse + space bar.

There's no need to restart Photoshop either - closing and re-opening the same document makes the canvas work again (until the next freeze).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 14, 2021 Nov 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Preferences > Tools... and uncheck "Enable Flick Panning" off. Does the problem go away?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me. Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2023 Feb 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my god, this fixed it. Thanks. I do find myself missing the flick panning however, so I hope that this issue will eventually be solved as I don't remember this being a problem years ago even with it turned on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a similar problem, only PS becomes totally unresponsive.  Running an I9 processor on a MSI motherboard with 32g of memory and using an Nividia 1070 GPU. Seems to be totally random.  Sometimes I can work for an hour or more, other times within minutes of opening an image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moderator please change the label of this thread to Windows (and delete my post).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2022 Mar 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same thing regularly happens for me. I use photoshop for animation purposes and the canvas often freezes at some stage while I'm bouncing between the rotate, undo, brush and crop tool shortcuts. I can't quite figure out at which point the freeze triggers, but it happens when I use these sorts of shortcuts. It happens on my work PC which has the following hardware:
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor 3.59 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

Is there no solution to this problem yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is happening for me as well. Also always while panning with a drawing tablet.
Can still use toolbar but cannot pan or interact w the canvas whatsoever.

Ryzen 7 5800x
32GB DDR4 3600mhz
RTX 3060ti
Windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2022 May 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can confirm that this is still happening in CC 2022.

It seems happen much more frequently in projects with complex layer setups and high resolutions.

For me, it's already down to me having to reopen my projects every few minutes.

Personally, it's a huge dealbreaker for me, if this issue continues not being fixed, as it's been over a year already.

Specs:

Ryzen 7 3700x

64GB DDR4-3200

Zotac RTX 2070

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2022 Jun 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is also happening to me. Have you found a solution? The only thing that helped for me was disabling my gpu in preferences > performance. But it makes photoshop really slow and unpleasant to use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2022 Jun 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was complaining about this in class and someone just gave me a solution that seems to work. Navigate to Edit > Preferences > Tools > Uncheck the following: "Overscroll", "Enable Flick Panning", "Animated Zoom". > Restart Photoshop. 🙂 hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2022 Jun 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll give it a try. Thanks

Regards,
John Newton

Fotographixs <>
Instagram <>
Facebook <>

Do not condemn the judgment of another because it differs from your own.
You may both be wrong. -Dandamis, sage (4c BCE)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2022 Aug 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did it work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2022 Aug 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disabling Overscoll and Flick Panning actually worked for me, so it seems to be tied to those animations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2023 Nov 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

2023... and this issue STILL exists. What's the deal, Adobe???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines