Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Photoshop 2021 Canvas freezes and becomes unresponsive

LEGEND ,
Aug 06, 2021 Aug 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

i have been having problems with freezes of Adobe Photoshop 21 over several updates.

I am using a graphics tablet to draw in Photoshop and on certain occasions, i have not found the trigger so far, the canvas freezes.
That means i can still save and use the toolbar at the top, but the canvas is stuck and i cannot interact with it.
My cursor is a normal mouse cursor, no matter what tool I select.
I cannot move the canvas and i cannot hide the canvas or interact with it in any way.

Restarting Photoshop fixes it immediately.

I am using Photoshop 21, newest version with a graphics tablet.
The bug occurs for multiple tablets.
I use Windows 10 with a somewhat beefy pc that easily handles Photoshop with all its quirks.

Thanks in advance for any help ❤️

TOPICS
Desktop

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 21, 2021 Sep 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue on different systems with different specs. The only thing the two systems have in common is that they're both running Windows 10 and use a Nvidia GPU. All drivers are up to date.

One thing that I have noticed right now is that it has happened twiche in a row on different documents while I was working in Quick Mask mode.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 21, 2021 Sep 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: It has happened four more times since my last comment. Every time the canvas froze while I was panning it with my mouse + space bar.

There's no need to restart Photoshop either - closing and re-opening the same document makes the canvas work again (until the next freeze).

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 14, 2021 Nov 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Preferences > Tools... and uncheck "Enable Flick Panning" off. Does the problem go away?

Senior Product Manager - Customer Advocacy - Digital Imaging

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a similar problem, only PS becomes totally unresponsive.  Running an I9 processor on a MSI motherboard with 32g of memory and using an Nividia 1070 GPU. Seems to be totally random.  Sometimes I can work for an hour or more, other times within minutes of opening an image.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Moderator please change the label of this thread to Windows (and delete my post).

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines