• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2021 freezes when using Select Color Range

Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using the latest 2021 version of Photoshop, I'm having an issue where the program stops working when using Select Color Range.  The tool opens, but then everything freezes when the Range or Fuzziness sliders are moved.  The only option is to Force Quit the program. 

Is anyone else seeing this issue?

Details:

Hardware: Late 2013 iMac

Operating System: Catalina 10.15.7

Processor:  i7 with 24GB of memory

Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M with 2GB of VRAM

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jan 06, 2021 Jan 06, 2021

The problem seems to be Photoshop's rulers. Turn them off and Select Color Range operates as expected. I found the answer here and it worked for me. I hope that solution works for everyone else too.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

French here 🙂 Hi, See on Reddit and it work for me, i hope for you too : from jgarciaimagery

"If I type in the values for Fuzziness and Range, PS won’t crash. It’s a workaround I have no problem with for now."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here.  Im glad its not just me

.....Suzanne Mathia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. But I can confirm that typing in values instead of using the sliders — as @Abscons suggested — does work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2020 Dec 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same probledm. 20153 mac, 32 gigs RAM, running 0n Mojave. I wish Adobe would fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2020 Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having the same problem for months. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 24, 2020 Dec 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, me too!  Several times in fact.  Just since PS 2021 - Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 27, 2020 Dec 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, same problem. I started when Lightroom was open in the background and quitting that seemed to solve the issue for a while but today it's back and I can't finish working on files as colorange just freezes. I'm posting so I'll get response to the solution... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 28, 2020 Dec 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same Problem. 2019 iMac Pro, Radeon Pro Vega 64.

Whatever this is, it's started with the latest update in Sept./Oct.

Seems to happen when I open my files from LR, and keep it open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2021 Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same Problem. using Mac Book Pro 

Radeon Pro 560X 4 GB

Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB  using the latest update of Photoshop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if this is definitive, but the lockup seems to happen only with I slide the Fuzziness slider.  If I enter a new fuzziness slider value via the keyboard, it does NOT lock up.  Anyone else have this experience?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, manually entering the value, instead of using the slider, eliminates the problem. It's not too painful a workaround, but Adobe should have fixed this months ago. They need to get their priorities straight, and focus on their professional users, not their amateur consumer users. They're spending far too much time pushing out silly neural filters, and not enough time resolving problems their professional users encounter. I mean, really, a filter that can make someone look twenty years older or younger? That's not a tool, that's a gimmick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your observation is spot-on.  I'm not a professional (just a serious amateur) but similarly would like Adobe to put a priority on fixing essential tools versus churning out filters that are "interesting" but have little day-to-day applicability. Selection tools are the bread and butter of PS, let's get these working!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 06, 2021 Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem seems to be Photoshop's rulers. Turn them off and Select Color Range operates as expected. I found the answer here and it worked for me. I hope that solution works for everyone else too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, miromonti.  I just tried your fix and indeed, no lock up! - Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This workaround seems to work for me as well. So far. Thanks for posting this here. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked for me, but my head is spinning as to why. How could the two be connected and how did someone figure out the connection. Please fix ad either one function or the other is not a good option. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried it and turning off the ruler does seem to fix the issue.  Thanks for sharing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2021 Feb 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your answer. I am using an Early 13 27"iMac with 16Gb Ram and using Mojave 10.14.6.

Turning the rulers off worked straight away.  Like everybody else I kept having to force quit Photoshop so it has been great identifying that the problem was not just mine and that the Support Community has been able to help me.  Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Miromonti's post has been deemed the correct answer, but to me a workaround is not an answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad he somehow figured out a workaround. But the only correct answer is for Adobe to fix the bug! Despite that - thanks Morimonti!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree! Had this issue after an update last year.  Having it again now Jan 21, 2021 in version 22.1.1.  I am using a Wacom tablet and if I turn off rulers I do not have an issue, selecting a color then using the slider. So that is my work around for now, but prefer to use Ps with rulers on. Only Ps freezes nothing else. Hopefully Adobe is aware and will fix with another patch.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly the same problem, Imac with 8 GB on the video card and 16 GB of memory. It is clear that the problem is incompatibility of the latest version of PS x Mac computers. Apple needs to solve this problem immediately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exact same issue. Color range is for now useless. Adobe, please, do fix this! Thank you! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know it's not the fix, but did the workaround of turning the rulers off in Photoshop work for you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. It did. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines