• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2021 keeps crashing on macOS

Community Beginner ,
Jul 14, 2021 Jul 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried everything.. I've installed the program multiple times. Everything worked fine until the update. I know it's not my comptuer acting up as it's brand new and works like a powerhouse with everything else. When I open Photoshop 2021 most of the time, it crashes a few minutes later.. regardless of what I'm doing. 

The crash is the same each time, all of a sudden the program freezes and gives me the rainbow wheel of death (I am on a macbook) and I must 'force quit' the program. Occasionally when I load this program my computer temporarily blacks out and comes back on- ONLY with THIS program. That tells me there is a bug in the system software that is causing an overload and most likely, NOT helping with this issue I'm having.

I've tried re downloading the 2020 version, which is fine till a certain point as well - then it crashes.

PLEASE. Help.

PLEASE HELP. I can't work in a program that crashes every time I open it. This is getting ridiculously frustrating. 

Moving from Using the Community (which is about the forums) to the correct forum... Mod
To ask in the forum for your program please start at https://community.adobe.com/

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 15, 2021 Jul 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We're sorry about the trouble with Photoshop. Would you mind sharing the exact version of Photoshop you're using along with your computers macOS version? Does the app crash while performing a particular task or do the crashes happen randomly?

If you're using macOS Catalina or macOS Big Sur, please ensure that Photoshop 2021 has the necessary permissions on the computer by following the steps suggested below:

1. Go to the System Preferences for your Mac, then Security and Privacy, then select the Privacy tab.

2. Then select Accessibility from the list to the left & check if Photoshop is added to the list with a check mark in front of it.

3. If Photoshop is not a part of the list, please add it by unlocking the window first using the lock at the bottom left, then clicking the + icon & navigating to the Applications folder.

4. Also, grant permissions to Photoshop under Full disk access located in the same list as Accessibility.

5. Once done, restart the Mac & check if it helps.

You can also try disabling the option to Use graphics Processor from Photoshop by going to Preferences, then Performance. Once done, quit & relaunch Photoshop to check if that helps.

If the issue persists, try resetting the preferences of Photoshop using the steps mentioned here: https://adobe.ly/2Qzc0K3

Please backup your settings prior to resetting the preferences. You can check: https://adobe.ly/2vNz6FG

Let us know how it goes!

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Nikunj,

I was on Catalina and had this issue, then updated to the Big Sur yesterday and it seemed fine.. until right now.

I will try your suggested tips, and hopefully that will help. When the crashes happen it's not consistent with what I am doing in Photoshop. Rasterizing a photo and retouching- crash. Drawing with brush tool- crash.. so I hope the permissions steps help. 

Will update you with results soon, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2021 Jul 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Nikunj,

I have tried everything. It STILL crashes. 

Please help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try logging into another account (you may need to make one), still crashing? 

Try starting up in Safe mode (hold down Shift Key when booting), still crashing? 

You might want to try running a free utility like Onyx: still crashing? 

https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having same problem. Programme will not get past the startup screen. Uninstalled, rolled back a few versions when reinstalling, deleted preferences. No dice.

Macbook Pro i7 2018 on Catalina 10.15.7

I have not made any changes to the settings, OS, or anything on the computer recently.  Photoshop just seems broken.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines