• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2022 crashes

Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop crashes all the time! Especially when I go to use the paint bucket tool

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

I just figured a fix.

In my case I bought a switch last week with the goal of switching from my new work pc to my personal one.

My two external monitors then, go through this starttech docking station. (The issue with adobe apps it is in my personal laptop.)

After days, I checked my display adapters shown, that are 3 now, being one of them the docking station.

I decided to right click and disable my original adapter (In my case AMD Radeon (TM) R5 M335).
Guess that was the conflict! It is working now!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

It looks like most of the crash reports on this thread were fixed in the 23.0.1 update. If you've haven't updated to 23.0.1, please do. If you're still crashing using 23.0.1, please submit all Crash Reports along with your email address: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/submit-crash-reports.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 115 Replies 115
Explorer ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect fonts as my issue and I'm slowly working through that. I'm running a 9th gen i7 with 32GB and samsung ssd as a separate scratch drive. I rolled back several versions and ended up having the same problem even using a person that was working just fine six months ago. So that seemed to narrow it down to a Windows update which I wouldn't be incredibly surprised about since I'm running a dev preview on this machine which just so happens to also have a dual digitizer touch screen. But I took a slightly older model of the same machine that I keep around in case I break this one in the field, upgraded it to the same version of Windows, installed the same older version of Photoshop and didn't have a problem.

After a lot of head-scratching I realized that when doing the clean install on this machine, shortly after installing Windows, I installed my personal font collection then I have been accumulating for years. This seemed to be the only thing that I did different between the two machines. So I installed the same collection on the older machine and sure enough, ran into the same problems.

So I have isolated my problem to being related to fonts. More specifically, any that were installed in the last 6 months. I'm working through that as I have time and I feel confident that this is the cause. If I never come back again with another update then it's safe to assume this was the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 25, 2021 Nov 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@sleerfnivek good troubleshooting. I guess you know the half and half method for finding the offending fonts?

REmove half of them, if it works, the problem is in the other half, etc. (the caveat being that there can be several bad fonts.

Remember also that Type 1 fonts are being unsupporte, but should not cause a problem: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/postscript-type-1-font-support-has-co...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes indeed - thanks - no more crashes for me after .02 update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hej, Jann! Long time no see! Glad to read that you are all set! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes indeed - nice to see You here ! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 16, 2022 Sep 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, nearly a year since I began this and thought I would add a new chapter. 
Previously on the show, I narrowed the problem to fonts. From there I removed all of the fonts except the defaults and left the older machine with the problem to troubleshoot in my spare time. Then I forgot about it. 
Two months ago, Lenovo ran a promo which included a fantastic discount the 11th gen Legion Pro which I had already been thinking about for several months due to some credits I had, so I went ahead and bought it. It arrived and I went into auto-mode doing a fresh install of everything, connected my cloud drives, copied all my system garbage like software that doesn't need to be installed, registry files for alterations to the context menu, direct access to the Windows Apps folder, customizations and.....fonts. I fired up PS and sure enough, the problem was back. I had already planned time to spend making the conversion and it went much faster than I expected, so I had some time and decided to figure out which font(s) caused it so I could have the rest of my fonts back. 

I began using the half-split method to nail it down. (As mentioned by @PECourtejoie, this is a very effective method of nailing stuff like this down and I wish more people used it). Finally, after about 4 splits I looked more closely at the remaining fonts and saw something......There was a font there called Base 02. It was a truetype font, but what caught my eye was the file date. 3/22/2004. I've had this font file for over 18 YEARS! lol So I removed that one, rebooted, and sure enough, everything was back to normal! I reinstalled my remaining fonts and all is good. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the fonttest.jsx script Adobe created quite often, and it always finds the corrupt ones. It also helps with Illustrator crashing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It also clears the font cache. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still happening on my Surface Pro....constantly...has rendered it nearly unusable

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2021 Dec 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am surprised that a company as established as Adobe does nto have better QC .. i have been crashing in photoshop whenever there is anything in my clipboard on Windows 10. Im now wasting time updating everything in hopes it fixes this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just FYI - There is a known clipboard issue having to do with the "new" clipboard that lets you keep multiple items on the clipboard. I don't think there's been an actual bulletin about it as I only got them to even acknowledge it a few months ago. Now they have me in a small group of people that have the problem and have us trying things trying to nail it down. One thing that it does is prevent you from copying/pasting anything but basic text values in Excel. So normally you could have a sheet with formatted text centered, a blue background, borders, etc. Copy or cut, go to paste it elsewhere and instead of getting the same thing you copied, you just get the plain-text in the cell. Normally by default it should paste exactly what you copied and when you right-click it should give you choices such as paste the format only, the values, and several other options- all which completely disappear. It depends on what other data is in the clipboard and disabling the clipboard history corrects it. 
I haven't run into problems with PS but I don't use it as much as I use Excel. I'm curious if there is a connection. You may want to go into the Windows settings and first clear the clipboard, then disable the clipboard history, reboot, and see if this fixes it. If not, then try disabling the clipboard sharing option as well. If either works it would be great if you could let me know so I can report it. I'm going to enable it and use PS and see if maybe copying something in PS is causing the Excel problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2021 Dec 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installed version 23.02 this morning and have had nothing but issues.  Won't open multiple files from LR, becoming un-responsive on simple tasks, won't save and close files, etc.  Reverted back to 22.5.3 and all is fine.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just tried again with version 23.1 after no success with 23.0 and 23.0.1.  Sadly still the same - PS opens normally and stable until I select the object selection tool.  There are no reports I can forward as the computer (W11 NVidia 1080) goes straight into a reboot a few seconds after the tool is selected.  Everything is stable in all other programs and there are no issues running PS 22.5.4 or LR using the object selection tools.  There must be a bug in the PS software and I will have to stay with PS 22.5.4 longer term it seems.  Frustrating as I don't want corruptions coming from these reboots with repeated attempts with new versions .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2022 Feb 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ours crashes every time we use Liquify - every time 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ours crashes pretty much every time we try to use Edit>Content Aware Fill.

--
Lynne Calvert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My photoshop won't even let me create a new file or open an file anymore 😞 I have the 23.1.1 version. Any tips?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally had to just save all my actions, patterns, styles, brushes, etc somewhere else and wipe it out. Fresh install. It fixed most of the issues. I guess Adobe hasn't figured out how to push an update without destroying legacy extensions, though. I was using FX-box by Orange Box and now it and all my scripts are dead thanks to two days ago. It says it's not "signed." Uh huh. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried that. Didn't work.Thanks, though. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the first time Photoshop has trashed the Orange Box, and a LOT of people are going to be really mad. It was this last update. (using a PC with Windows 10). I've had to clean out Photoshop and reinstall it almost every single time I get an update. I'm slowly but surely losing one action or extension after another. I doubt 3rd party developers are going to want to create extensions in the future if they just see angry customers and their hard work disappear. You should see the communities in Envato where these developers are trying to help their buyers. It's really sad. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought this is what those 30 processes running in my system tray even when I'm not running adobe products was there for...?  >:-O

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

80)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2022 Mar 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed my CPU piking to 80% and memory at a baseline of 40% going to 60%

The virtual memory was set to auto and it recommednded 3GB.

That is weird, usually 1.5-3 x RAM and I ahve 16GB RAM.

Upping virtual memory did not help.

Then noticed no activity on GPU.

The video card was set to share memory with CPU.

When I changed to GPU memory for GPU only, the crash problem went away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2022 Mar 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Follow up

Fix made it better but still gets crashes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 14, 2022 Apr 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With photoshop downloaded and running locally, the adobe cloud is not needed.Go on the start menu and turn off the open at start up on everything adobe.Go to services and disable or make manual all adobe and adobe cloud services.Its the constant update scanning and cloud nonsense that wrecks your memory and cpu.Despite your best efforts some things still turn on so you need to check your browser extensions. Triggers to open some adobe services are hidden in browser extensions.After the sanitation and expansion of my virtual memory. I am OK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines