• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2022 won't open psb files showing error: because it is not a valid photoshop document

Explorer ,
May 12, 2022 May 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS wouldn't open psb file. after updatin to the latest version it still won't open psb files 'because it is not a valid photoshop document'. what's going on?

{Title edited by Moderator}

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry that you cannot open .PSB files in Photoshop. We're here to help.

Which version of macOS are you using? Do you see this error with all files or particular files?

Can you please check if the name and extension for the file are correct or not?

This can occur when you save a different file type, for example, a JPEG, with a .psb extension in the file name (work.psb).

You need to rename the file so that the file name extension matches the correct file type. (work.jpg)

For more details, check this: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/error-not-a-valid-photoshop-document.html.

Let us know if this helps.

Thanks,

Ranjisha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OS is 12.3.1. files were saved locally with the previous version of PS. following an upgrade to 23.3.2 the files were no longer recognised. uninstall and reinstall of PS made no difference. all .psb files i tried (4) were affected. these were active photoshop files, not just images such as .jpg.

i ended up making a copy of the files and changing extension to .psd which worked fine. oddly, the previously generic PS thumbs on the .psb files updated themselves as soon as i did this.

on a far more serious note - i can no longer open any of my .jpg files 'because a JPEG marker segment length is too short (the file may be truncated or incomplete).' this is a huge problem as i work with images every day, and i have literally thousands of saved assets which i need to use. the .psb issue pales in comparison to this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the details. There is some issue with the filename or extension.

Do check if all of the images have the correct and same extension.

Also, try opening the image on Paint and saving it as JPEG once again and then opening it in Organizer again.

See if that helps. 

(Note: The extension is added automatically when you save an image file. However, adding the extension manually may have two extensions like filename.pdf.jpg, or you might enter the wrong extension. The file extension should match the actual image file type to access a photo.

So, view the file extension and make the necessary change. Remove the last extension that you added if you see two extensions. Ensure the JPEG file has the correct .JPEG or .JPG extension.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hmm. none of the files have duplicate extensions. they are a mix of third party (purchaed) images and my own saved files. opening thousands of files one by one in another programme and resaving with the identical extension is not an option. all files worked fine previous to the latest photoshop update. they all open without problem in preview, and all can be placed without problem in Ai & Indesign. the issue is how to work on them in PS.

just to test, i bough a duplicate version of a .jpg image i already have and PS opened it without problem. also tested a bunch of images at random and around 80% will not open.

awkward workaround - just found that if i first open the affected image in preview, it then opens in PS. not re-saved or altered in preview, just opened. it's a solution not unlike the one you suggested, but still highly unsatisfactory. having to do this for every affected image will add huge amounts of time to my workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using MacOS 10.15.7 and Ps 23.3.2

PSB thumbnails  display just fine in the Finder.  No problem opening them up in Photoshop.

I use these settings under File Handling in Photoshop Preferences:

Screen Shot 2022-05-12 at 7.58.34 AM.png

If you have not already, try those.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for the tip - unfortunately it didn't help 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You did mention the problem started with the latest version. Perhaps you can roll back to the previous version.

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/using/install-previous-version.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 13, 2022 May 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i could.. and wait until the next update. will see how it goes, if it doesn't cure itself i may have to do that. kind of defeats the purpose of updates but thankfully it's quite a painless procedure compared to a couple of decades ago 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2022 Nov 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm having the sam issues as above. It's really frustarting that these very frequent updates cause issues like this one. Every time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines