• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2023 24.0.0 saving bug

Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My photoshop updated automatically to 24.0.0 and now when I try to save (Command-S) it doesn't offer JPG as an option unless you go to 'Save a copy'. This is the dumbest thing ever. If I want to save as PSD I'll do so. I don't need the software forcing the issue or limiting my save filetype selections. 

When I bring in camera raw images, same thing. I want to save out to JPG and with a Command-S, it doesn't give JPG as an option and if I 'Save a copy' and try to close my file, it asks to save the camera raw file after I've already saved. 

Why is this a problem? It adds extra steps and my batches no longer work. Command-S should give you all file types to save not make you jump through hoops to save in whatever format you want. If I use Command-Option-S it still asks if I want to save (as PSD) when I close the file. I don't want to be asked that, I just saved how I want it saved. 

I've tried looking through preferences and nothing allows any control over what the available default formats to save. 

Has anyone found any work arounds?

MacBook Pro Monterey 12.6

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Hi

You can change that in the preferences

2022-10-19 18_24_17-Preferences.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Looks to me that your opening the jpegs from camera raw in 16 bits/channel and when you record the Save As action, copy is put into the action because jpegs don't support 16 bits/channel. Open your action and see if it shows With Copy.

co.png

I would convert the jpegs to 8 bits/channel either in camera raw or within the action itself. Then your Automate>Batch should overwrite the existing jpegs.

c02.png

c03.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Oct 30, 2022 Oct 30, 2022

Here's the real story:

Prior to Photoshop CS5 in 2010, you couldn't save to jpeg at all, if the file didn't already conform to the jpeg file format specification. You had to flatten the file to remove all layers and transparency, convert to 8 bit, and delete any alpha channels. Then, and only then, was it possible to save the file as jpeg.

In 2010, to a fair bit of fanfare, a "hack" was introduced in Photoshop CS5. You could now save directly to jpeg, all those operations would be performed

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

You can change that in the preferences

2022-10-19 18_24_17-Preferences.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it still forces a save as copy rather than a save over when batching. I made a screen grab of my issue. It still saves out as a copy. Is there any way to batch save-over the originals and save as JPG now? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@MtnMamaKat wrote:

This is the dumbest thing ever. If I want to save as PSD I'll do so. I don't need the software forcing the issue or limiting my save filetype selections. 

Apple forced this issue when they changed their API and left Adobe to find a solution, which they did in 22.4.2. See Ged's reply for the fix.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks to me that your opening the jpegs from camera raw in 16 bits/channel and when you record the Save As action, copy is put into the action because jpegs don't support 16 bits/channel. Open your action and see if it shows With Copy.

co.png

I would convert the jpegs to 8 bits/channel either in camera raw or within the action itself. Then your Automate>Batch should overwrite the existing jpegs.

c02.png

c03.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh thank you! That solved that problem. Is there any reason I want to keep the output in 16bit vs 8bit? How did it change to 16bit? It must have changed for my setup as this wasn't a problem before and suddenly it is? Is there something I'm inadvertently doing? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe the default for new camera raw installs is 16 bits/channel.

If you do any further editing in photoshop on your jpegs and/or camera raw files then it might be advantageous to keep 16 bits/channel till you save.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2022 Oct 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's not only the dumbest thing ever, but also the most stupid thing ever: not every change is an improvement and if it ain't broken, don't fix it. When are programmaers gonna learn from their customers and only working on their own hobbies?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 30, 2022 Oct 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the real story:

Prior to Photoshop CS5 in 2010, you couldn't save to jpeg at all, if the file didn't already conform to the jpeg file format specification. You had to flatten the file to remove all layers and transparency, convert to 8 bit, and delete any alpha channels. Then, and only then, was it possible to save the file as jpeg.

In 2010, to a fair bit of fanfare, a "hack" was introduced in Photoshop CS5. You could now save directly to jpeg, all those operations would be performed automatically, and you would get a jpeg copy directly from Save As. This was all new, never seen in any other software before or since. It was a big selling point at the time.

Then Apple changed the rules (as they frequently do). The hack wouldn't work anymore, MacOS didn't allow it.

So they came up with Save A Copy. Later, they were able to find workarounds that allowed a "legacy save" that behaved in roughly the same way, but with a real risk of unintentional overwiting of data. That's why it's not the default.

That's the irony: they introduced direct save to jpeg to make users happy, and then it came back to bite them and I bet they regret it now. If they hadn't done that in CS5, it would have been business as usual the whole time and nobody would have complained.

If you think "the competition" can save to jpeg from 16 bit layered files, think again. Affinity can't do it. You have to launch a separate and slow Export process.

I agree that Adobe made one huge mistake in all this. They tried to sell Save A Copy as a "feature". That didn't go down well. They should have called it what it was, a rescue operation. It was broken, by Apple, and they had to fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 16, 2022 Dec 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for taking the time to explain this point. I, too, was finding it more than a little bit irritating and wondered why something, so stupid, and irritating had been forced on everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2023 Mar 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all!

I've had this problem since 24.3.0. a simple action "save" does not work anymore.

Translated from German: "The command could not be completed because a programme error occurred".

Recently Adobe seems to be releasing more problems than fixes with the updates.
Windows 11 Pro 64 bit / Version: 22H2 / Biuld: 22621.1413

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Addendum: "Save" (overwrite) as JPG does not work, "Save as" as JPG works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@SW-Man-2 

After Apple changed their API, Adobe came up with a fix in 22.4.2 that continues to work in 24.3. Read through this short thread for the reasons and the fix.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2023 Mar 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @jane-e 

No, unfortunately none of this helps.

I would like to use an action to:

1. reduce to background layer
2. convert to colour profile ISO Coated V3
3. save (overwrite)
4. close

At step 4 Photoshop stops, does not overwrite and does not continue.

I don't use camera raw and all images are already 8 bit/channel and not 16 bit/channel.

If I use "save as" instead of "save" at point 3, the location where I saved at "save as" is stored in the action, so the image is no longer overwritten.

Cheers
Nico

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines