• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2023 Mac - Auto Recover not working

Explorer ,
Nov 24, 2022 Nov 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I remember that if Photoshop crashed, when I restarted the file I was working on would reopen with the changes I had made until just before. The recovery option in the Preferences in fact allows you to choose every how many minutes to save a safety backup.
But in version for Mac 24.0.1 this does not happen, and there is no Auto Recover folder in 

Macintosh HD/Users/Username/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop 2023/

Do you know if this is a bug or if some other option needs to be enabled?

I tried in version 23.5.3 (2022), it works and the Auto Recover folder exists in the 2022 directory.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 26, 2022 Nov 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Trystero, you are right that Photoshop automatically stores crash recovery information based on what intervals you set in Preferences. If you experience a crash, Photoshop recovers your work when you restart it. The AutoRecover folder may or may not have any files in it after a crash. If it didn't automatically open (recover) when you first restarted, it's not likely to be saved or found.

That's why saving files manually (or via Time Machine or similar app) in regular intervals is a better practice, since Auto Recover is not the same as saving your file. I am using Windows 10, Photoshop 24.0.1 Release. The folder is there for me. I don't know why macOS would be different but perhaps another user will give you more guidance.

JEL_1-1669502811746.png

Curious to know if under File Handling, in File Saving Options, is your Default File Location set to “On your computer” or “Creative Cloud.”

JEL_1-1669503506448.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 06, 2023 Feb 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop 24.1.1 (2023) - I can confirm the same! Auto recover is not working. Niether is Auto Save!

macOS Monterey 12.6.2 

Mac Pro (Late 2013) 

3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5

64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3

AMD FirePro D500 3 GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@© Si did you do an initial save of the document? Auto save does not work on temp files (unsaved documents).

I have the same setup as you except on an M1 Mac and my auto save works - but I always have to do one manual save to start the process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your responce. I appreciate you trying to help.

This document wasn't temporery - I'm familiar with what you metion.

Whilst working I usually save as I go... (force of habit).  However, on this occasion I didn't - 1 hour of intense work wasn't saved by myself or by the auto save I have set at 5 mins...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you confirm if Photoshop is listed and active under Apple system preferences/Security and Privacy/Full Disk Access?

If not, add it and check the box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm it is ticked...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2023 Mar 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same problem, have checked all the settings/full disk access enabled etc.  but it still doesn't work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2023 Jul 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bumping this thread to see if anyone's found a solution. I'm having the exact same problem on my windows machine. Auto save simply doesn't work. Photoshop crashes, then on reopen it doesn't have any auto saved version of the file. So if I forget to spam ctrl+s I'm screwed. 
very annoying! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 09, 2023 Jul 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No need to spam it, the file only needs to be saved once... But saving at regular intervals is a good idea regardless. So is saving to versioned copies.

There is a Bridge/Photoshop script combo that will pop up a reminder to save at a selected interval. This can also be extended to save.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines