• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2023 refusing to save in jpg

Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2022 Oct 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a lot of photos to get edited fairly quickly. I am used to Photoshop remembering that when I am done editing my raw-file I save it to a manageble jpg. Each time there is an update I have to change the deafult from psd to jpg,  after the first image and then it remebers it. Now the app refuses to remember so I have to change it for each photo. And I tried testing out jpf/jpg 2000 but that was such a hopeless timeconsuming detour.. Does anybody know whats going on? Save as copy worked before but not anymore... I am a little lost and frustrated here. Is it just a bug or is it something else?

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , macOS , SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a very similar issue with PS 23.  Suddenly after the last update, saving to a jpg is not even offered as an option in PS.  I finally noticed that for the first time ever, the update had reset my settings in camera raw to 16 bit.  I reset to 8 bit, and all is well.  Perhaps that will help you as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. It does probably help some things but not the main issue: I still have to manually change from psd to jpg for every image when I save...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File formats that don't support all current properties of the file, are now moved to Save A Copy.

The jpeg specification does not support 16 bit depth, layers, transparency or alpha channels.

Jpeg can never be a default in Photoshop. Almost anything you can do to a file in Photoshop puts it outside the jpeg spec.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2022 Nov 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that worked! thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There have been changes in the way jpg files are saved. Maybe a script that forces the file save to be jpg, might solve your issue. You could then run it in an action and assign a function key to run it for quickness.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I guess I will just wait and hope for a change. This combined with low blood sugar and Apple Music not working was a bit of a perfect storm 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I bet that is the perfect storm! There are a lot of people who want a locked in way to save a particular file type and scripts are one way to do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue since the latest update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was hoping I was not alone in this 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Read my post above again. Jpeg will be under Save A Copy, if the file has properties not supported in the jpeg file format specification.

If your file does conform to the jpeg spec (8 bit, flat, no transparency or alpha), then jpeg will appear in Save As.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Just frustrating when you've done something the same way for multiple years and have to try to change it.  Any idea how I can do a save as a jpg copy for a batch edit? Currently it's re-saving under the original name that the action I made used so it's just rewriting the information over and over.  Any help is appreciated! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like these files are coming directly from Lightroom when you make the action? In that case the background script tracking the file will be active, and long story short, the file name will be recorded in the action. So it overwrites.

What you need to do is record the action from files already saved as PSD/TIFF. Save them out and close Lightroom! If you do that, the file name is not recorded in the action, and it will not overwrite previous files.

I just tested this again and it works on both Save As and Save A Copy. You can check this in the action step. If you don't see a file name after the save path, you'll be fine:

action2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!  I import them from Adobe Bridge. I will give this a try tomorrow.  Thank you again for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got it!  Thank you so very much for your help!  I grealty appreciate it! It seems everytime there has been a recent update to Photoshop I have a high number of photo sessions to edit.  So I'm hoping your fix will save me from future headaches.  Thank you again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried so many times today that for now I have given up. Will give it another go tomorrow. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got it to work.  I rewrote the save part of the action I created to run on my photos.  Instead of clicking on Save or Save As from the file menu.  I selected save a copy as.  I also import my photos directly from Adobe Bridge and I closed that after the photos had imported. Good Luck! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 21, 2022 Nov 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can change your settings under Preferences/File Handling "Enable Legacy Save As". This will keep all your actions as is without having to change to Save a Copy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2022 Dec 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

the MOST annoying update ever!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines