• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 21.1.2 Zoom and Pan Freeze

New Here ,
Apr 22, 2020 Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running into a problem where zooming and panning via the hand tool's spacebar shortcut seems to freeze up everything but the navigation bar at the top of Photoshop on Windows 10. 

It doesn't happen every time I use spacebar to quickly access the hand tool and pan, but once it does, Photoshop is nearly non-responsive. Luckily, I can still save my document, but that's about it. The view will be frozen, my default system cursor takes over so I'm unable to see the tool-specific cursors, and none of the tools are able to be actually selected. It's like everything besides the top menu is completely frozen, like I'm staring at a screenshot of the Photoshop I was just working on as opposed to running the actual program. I originally wondered if going into fullscreen mode would help, but it didn't seem to work at all.

It should be noted that I've replicated this issue with a mouse, since I originally thought this was an issue with my pen tablet display. I actually spent a couple days uninstalling both Photoshop and my tablet drivers and starting from scratch - down to removing excess files by hand. I've also run through some cursory troubleshooting steps, given Photoshop more access to RAM, and switched over to legacy compositing to see if it'd help. Nothing, so far.

Currently, my temporary fix is to save the file and completely restart Photoshop. I had originally been closing the file but not Photoshop, and just reloading the piece, but it seems like the error occurred more frequently with this fix as opposed to completely closing and starting up again. The error feels random, so I can't verify that this is the case, however. Quitting works for a short while, obviously, but it's impossible to tell when you're going to have to do so again, and doing this dozens of times within a couple hours is really starting to drag.

I'd love to find a fix! The spacebar zoom and pan is SUCH a huge part of my workflow when painting and photo-editing. I absolutely love it and don't want to have to live without it!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Hi All,

We are happy to announce the June release of Photoshop 22.4.2 that should resolve this issue.

This update includes fixes to some of the top customer reported issues among other bug fixes. See Bug fixes and security updates

To update Photoshop to 22.4.2, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. See More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 146 Replies 146
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2020 Aug 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still having this issue on latest version. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2023 Feb 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I found a workaround and disabled the pen flicker and other things from the list article. Also, Adobe told me to call Wacom because it was most likely their driver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2020 Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem.  Have to save my work every time and restart photoshop.  What a pain.  Please fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 18, 2020 Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly the same problem on Photoshop 21.2.3. 

Working on Windows 10 with Wacom Intuos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2020 Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still the same problem on 21.2.4 - using OSX 10.13.6 on MacPro

I'm am back to 21.2.0

Not really happy though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 05, 2020 Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@macz5024  On a mac? that is different than most other users... Which MacPro? could you post the contents of help>System info?

Is it also with a tablet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try to go to Photoshop>preferences > tools > disable "flick panning"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, thanks for the reminder – but it did not help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 27, 2020 Nov 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And here. PS21.2.4 on OS 10.15.7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still facing the issue. Updated to the latest version of PS available. 21.2.4
When is adobe gonna solve this? Having so much trouble, opening and closing documents, multiple times in an hour. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also had this issue. Very annoying, wish they would fix. I did disable "flick panning" and was able to work for another hour without freezing/crashing happening, so hopefully that is a temporary solution until they actually fix the bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Congrats to Adobe! It's managed to do the impossible. In v. 22.00.35 it fixed the solution instead of a bug. Flick Panning disabling trick that's worked for me has broken again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2020 Nov 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the latest version DXO Nik Collection also causes this issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Software became a nightmare..They have so many problems since they went to CC version. I am having the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here.  Have to save my work every time and restart photoshop.  Using PS 22.01.  on win10.  Almost a year and it started to going more frequently. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this problem having recently upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7.  The latest PS version 22 doesn't support Windows 7, hence the forced upgraed. I didn't experience any problems with the previous version running under Windows 7. However, now when zooming to 100% (by double-clicking the magnifying glass icon) and then Zoom to fit, after doing this a few times the image displayed locks up. It still switches between modes beacause I can see the scroll bars appear when I zoom to 100%, but the image displayed not change. Like others have stated, the only way I can to get out of this is to save my work and restart PS. The problem reoccurs after a while and the constant restart in becomeing tediuous to say the least. Seems this problem has been around quite some time but I don't see any response from Adobe on this forum to say they are addressing the issue? As yet I've not found a fix either. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. Using Wacom inous I   PTZ930 and a Kensington track ball.

System info:

[Edited by Moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yea wtf I can literally go replicate this issue its so prominent in my drawing time and they ask me why i want to cancel my subscription 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same from my side ....

Also a GeForce 20xx (2080) ....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2020 Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same Issue, performance drops off a cliff when zooming into a large document. RTX2080 GPU Updated windows to latest version, same with Photoshop. This year has been a nightmare for this software package. So much so I'm condidering looking at alternatives after years of using it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2021 Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My workaround until there is a fix is to do a duplicate from the image menu and

continue working in the duplicate. (then you can close the image that has freezed)

That way you don't have to save and restart.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2021 Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice thank you big time saver. I will refrain from saying what I want to say. Per Adobe website:

Correct the highlighted errors and try again.

• You used a bad word, ****, in the body of your post. Please clean up the body before posting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2021 Jan 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have exactly the same problem.  This began to happen a few months ago.  Getting really fed up with Adobe - they never respond and never fix the problem, leaving users to try and find a work around.   It appears to be just the zoom.   One can keep working with other tools on the bit of image that is fozen on screen and on saving these changes are saved, but you only know by closing PS and reopening the same image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2021 Jan 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two updates later and still the same problem for me, yet Adobe still happy to take our money every month. Does anybody from Adobe actually read these comments? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines