• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 21.1.2 Zoom and Pan Freeze

New Here ,
Apr 22, 2020 Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running into a problem where zooming and panning via the hand tool's spacebar shortcut seems to freeze up everything but the navigation bar at the top of Photoshop on Windows 10. 

It doesn't happen every time I use spacebar to quickly access the hand tool and pan, but once it does, Photoshop is nearly non-responsive. Luckily, I can still save my document, but that's about it. The view will be frozen, my default system cursor takes over so I'm unable to see the tool-specific cursors, and none of the tools are able to be actually selected. It's like everything besides the top menu is completely frozen, like I'm staring at a screenshot of the Photoshop I was just working on as opposed to running the actual program. I originally wondered if going into fullscreen mode would help, but it didn't seem to work at all.

It should be noted that I've replicated this issue with a mouse, since I originally thought this was an issue with my pen tablet display. I actually spent a couple days uninstalling both Photoshop and my tablet drivers and starting from scratch - down to removing excess files by hand. I've also run through some cursory troubleshooting steps, given Photoshop more access to RAM, and switched over to legacy compositing to see if it'd help. Nothing, so far.

Currently, my temporary fix is to save the file and completely restart Photoshop. I had originally been closing the file but not Photoshop, and just reloading the piece, but it seems like the error occurred more frequently with this fix as opposed to completely closing and starting up again. The error feels random, so I can't verify that this is the case, however. Quitting works for a short while, obviously, but it's impossible to tell when you're going to have to do so again, and doing this dozens of times within a couple hours is really starting to drag.

I'd love to find a fix! The spacebar zoom and pan is SUCH a huge part of my workflow when painting and photo-editing. I absolutely love it and don't want to have to live without it!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Hi All,

We are happy to announce the June release of Photoshop 22.4.2 that should resolve this issue.

This update includes fixes to some of the top customer reported issues among other bug fixes. See Bug fixes and security updates

To update Photoshop to 22.4.2, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. See More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 146 Replies 146
Explorer ,
Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have discovered that if I simply save the image close it and re-open without closing PS it works fine. 
One less step not having to re-start PS>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same problems.....But PS 2017 doesn't have that issue......when I switch to PS 2021/2020.....I still cannot use zoom in/out..........please help us out.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My only fix is to save my work, close photoshop, reopen the file, and the glitch goes away ... for a while.  Such a pain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is annoying and frustrating that you are working and the preview of the file freezes all the time and you have to keep closing and opening the file all the time. Please, Adobe, fix this!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have they come up with a fix to this bug yet? I'm encountering the same issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This still happens in the latest version of Photoshop , 22.2. Pls fix it ! It is extremely annoying !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, are you running any plug-ins?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not running any plug in's or add on/in software.

Hardware wize I do have a Wacom PTZ-930 tablet and a Kensingtion trackball.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not using any plugins either. And regarding hardware, I use a Cintiq Pro 24, but I don't know if that is relevant. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the DxO Nik Collection. I often wondered if that was the culprit as the screen used to some times freeze after applying an effect. But of late, the screen freezes without me even launching the Nik tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the problem and do not use the DxO Nik collecton.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

We are happy to announce the June release of Photoshop 22.4.2 that should resolve this issue.

This update includes fixes to some of the top customer reported issues among other bug fixes. See Bug fixes and security updates

To update Photoshop to 22.4.2, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. See More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While I do appreciate that the issue is getting fixed well over a year after the fact, I've already cancelled my adobe subscription and moved to a new platform, in part, because of the lack of support on what I felt was a huge impediment to my workflow.

Hopefully the fix in the update helps other users, though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2021 Jun 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated Photoshop to the June update and still run into this issue unfortunately >: I often am flipping the canvas/using the hand tool shortcut to move around and it will suddenly freeze up except for dropdown menus, so thankfully I am able to save, but I have to close and reopen the canvas constantly. Super hard to work with, I hope that a true fix comes out soon!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2021 Jun 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The update to Version 22.4.2 doesn't solve this problem. The error does occure in same frequency as before.

I hope that a fix will come out soon!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, could you state the steps that trigger the behaviour, like the previous user did?

can you share the contents of help>system info... ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2021 Jun 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While editing the error occurs when i pan the layer. It doesn't matter if i use my tablet to pan or the mouse.

The scroll bar on the right suddenly went down approximately to the middle and freezes. Now it is not possible to do anything. The only thing to do is saving the picture, close the project and load it again. You can continue your work.

Annoying!!

Greets Lutz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 18, 2021 Jun 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you on windows10? which tablet? Using Wintab or windows ink? tabbed documents, or floating ones? do you have overscroll on? Rulers showing or not? all these could be important parameters...

Could you share your system info?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2021 Jun 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

further details. I am working on Windows 10 on a normal PC. As tablet i am using a WACOM Intuos M with the actual driver installed. Windows Ink is running in the background, but i deactivated any configuration concerning the Windows-Ink Shortcuts.

Photoshop is configured to use tabbed documents. Overscrolling is not activated. There are no rulers shown.

I hope this informations will help you.

Best regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2021 Jun 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Heya! Figured I'd respond to this as well if that helps. Here is my Photoshop System Info via pastebin: https://pastebin.com/7r2gyS4f

Windows 10
Intuos Pro (Medium)
Tabbed + Floating Documents (I've experienced the lock up on both)
Overscroll and Flick Panning is on
No Rulers

Windows Ink Off (I also have the typical PSUserConfig setup #Use WinTab UseSystemStylus0 )

Thank you for looking into this! 🙏

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 22, 2021 Jun 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Akash Sharma can you send the info to the Photoshop team, that there are still users affected with the latest version... pinging @Hannah Nicollet 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not one to throw a monkey wrench any further into this inquiry, but this may not be an OS issue. I'm also running into the same problem, despite the 22.4.2 update, on my early 2019 iMac (Big Sur 11.1, Retina 5K, 27-inch, 500gb SSD, Radeon Pro Vega 48 w/8gb of VRAM, 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9) This happens regardless if any of my open files are being edited from the internal SSD or over NAS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 30, 2021 Sep 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not fixed for me.

Having the same issue: image freezes while panning (using space bar) with Wacom. It happens so often that it's impossible to work. Fortunately, while the image is frozen I'm still able to save the document.

Windows 10, 20H2 19042.1237

Wacom CTH-680

NVIDIA Driver v. 472.12

GTX 1080

P.S. I'm having this issue for years!.. If using graphic tablet would be my main job, I'd quit Photoshop just because of this issue. As I mentioned, it's impossible to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 30, 2021 Sep 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know. I feel your pain as I was in the same boat for some time. I'm on the latest version now and I've resolved this issue by configuring WINDOWS INK interface to look like this. 

Because I faced this problem for so long with the latest photoshop version, I'm very confident this will help you as well. I have marked the important one but I would rather have you check all the other options in the screenshot as well. Wishing the best for you.

2kPandey windows ink solution.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 05, 2021 Oct 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @2k.Pandey 

This looked promising, but, unfortunately, didn't help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines