• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 21.1.2 Zoom and Pan Freeze

New Here ,
Apr 22, 2020 Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running into a problem where zooming and panning via the hand tool's spacebar shortcut seems to freeze up everything but the navigation bar at the top of Photoshop on Windows 10. 

It doesn't happen every time I use spacebar to quickly access the hand tool and pan, but once it does, Photoshop is nearly non-responsive. Luckily, I can still save my document, but that's about it. The view will be frozen, my default system cursor takes over so I'm unable to see the tool-specific cursors, and none of the tools are able to be actually selected. It's like everything besides the top menu is completely frozen, like I'm staring at a screenshot of the Photoshop I was just working on as opposed to running the actual program. I originally wondered if going into fullscreen mode would help, but it didn't seem to work at all.

It should be noted that I've replicated this issue with a mouse, since I originally thought this was an issue with my pen tablet display. I actually spent a couple days uninstalling both Photoshop and my tablet drivers and starting from scratch - down to removing excess files by hand. I've also run through some cursory troubleshooting steps, given Photoshop more access to RAM, and switched over to legacy compositing to see if it'd help. Nothing, so far.

Currently, my temporary fix is to save the file and completely restart Photoshop. I had originally been closing the file but not Photoshop, and just reloading the piece, but it seems like the error occurred more frequently with this fix as opposed to completely closing and starting up again. The error feels random, so I can't verify that this is the case, however. Quitting works for a short while, obviously, but it's impossible to tell when you're going to have to do so again, and doing this dozens of times within a couple hours is really starting to drag.

I'd love to find a fix! The spacebar zoom and pan is SUCH a huge part of my workflow when painting and photo-editing. I absolutely love it and don't want to have to live without it!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Hi All,

We are happy to announce the June release of Photoshop 22.4.2 that should resolve this issue.

This update includes fixes to some of the top customer reported issues among other bug fixes. See Bug fixes and security updates

To update Photoshop to 22.4.2, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. See More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 146 Replies 146
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2022 Jul 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still running into the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also still running into this problem, on version 23.4.2. My workaround is to use the option on the history panel to create a new document from the current state, the new document works fine, but this is still rather annoying as I lose any history when doing this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the first real workaround I've seen so far.
Other than that, I've given up on this. Since it's clearly "(FIXED)". I do everything in CS4 until I get to the Select & Mask part. For my retouching workflow, this is good enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2022 Sep 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you very much 😄 this worked for me, it even allowed me to go back to the original document and continue as if nothing had happened, so i did not lose my history, (unlike the 5 or 6 times earlier in the day when i had closed the document and re-opened), including using flick panning, odd, before it was available i did not need to flick my images but since it has been around i find it strange without it, PS 23.5, 23.5.1 is available so i will be seeing if it happens in that when i get around to it,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 16, 2022 Sep 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I am confronted with the freeze, I simply do a "Save as" close the file and open it again and everything works fine. I don't even close and re-open up the program.  It doesn't happen to me now because I am using the 22.5.4 release from over a year ago since it does not happen using that version. Funny how we pay for new versions of a program that crashes when we use it. Sheesh!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, here with version 23.4.1 and still with the same problem so it most definitely not fixed. Has anyone found a solution to this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2022 Sep 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that is still happening in Photoshop 2022 23.5.0 Release. The fix that they said worked never fixed the issue because it is still present

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 29, 2022 Sep 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe's fix does not work for many users and I don't think they even care since this has been dragging for years. In my case, the solution proposed in this post by another user seems to have solved it. That is, to disable the 'flick panning' option from Preferences/ tools. Anyway, I find myself using Clip Studio more and more. Much more reliable tool that I only had to buy once.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 15, 2022 Nov 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone still experiencing this, please try going to Preferences > Tools and unchecking both "Enable Flick Panning" and "Animated Zoom" and let us know if the problem goes away.

Pattie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 16, 2022 Nov 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Leepar and @Talikira 

Did you share your system info earlier in the thread? if yes, please post a link, if not, please post in an answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2022 Nov 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a fix for users like me who use BOTH those things !! Seconding Leepar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After a fresh system install, this even got worse. You open your 11,7 GB image for the 4th time, and don't even need to zoom in to have PS freak out! Trying to move an anchor point makes the artboard scoot left rapidly, with the anchor point selected, works like magic, and another time, it looked like a madman decided to add his handwriting into my vector sinus wave, as suddenly a wild freeform scribble emerged from it within the blink of an eye.

Overscroll & flick panning off, old GPU mode on. Win 10, GTX 980, AMD FX 8359, 32 GB.

Going back to CS4 - again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Corniger please post your system info from Photoshop>Help>System info...

Please also explain more: you open 4 times a PSB of 11,7GB? Does it have lots of layers, or is it large in pixels, or both?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 05, 2022 Dec 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Leepar sorry you feel that way, I'm not an Adobe employee, I come here to help others, but I know that seeing which hardware software combo has an issue can help the engineers.

Do you also use a tablet with Wintab? Did you try Windows Ink lately? Wintab is supposed to be unsupported by the OS one day or the other... I know there were some tips to get rid of the annoying wintab tooltips, ALT stuff, etc. See also: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/tablet-support-faq-photoshop.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 02, 2022 Dec 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here you go! 
I haven't had the zipping around anymore, but have since only opened the file once.
The file has lots of layers, smart objects and pixel dimensions of roughly 7000 x 10000.
I had to reopen it 4 times, sorry, that was badly formulated.

It's probably a setting in the preferences, like tile size or whatever, I actually expected those to be synced with my account, but apparently I didn't set that up properly. I should probably create a document with all required settings... I still need to dig through the old backup files to regain my actions etc

The real problem is that I often work in 1:1 or 2:1 screensharing sessions and while people find WILD things happening on screen funny for a while, it gets tedious after the 4th time reopening said file.

Worst case I can install PS on my 3D rig, but thast's not the point of having a dedicated workstation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(wrong thread)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 09, 2022 Dec 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ive had this issue for the past couple of years. No real consistency to it. It would appear I am not alone and that it is a prevalent bug which adobe, unsurprisingly, have not yet fixed. 

Save and re-open is the only work around for it from what i have found. 

Just as well I dont pay a yearlt subscription to have a peravise bug in the software I use....................................

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 15, 2022 Dec 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can we please get "(FIXED)" removed from the title of this thread? It's very obvious this issue is not fixed and it's rather misleading for it be marked as such.
A workaround that involves turning off a feature is NOT a fix by the way. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 15, 2022 Dec 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...especially considering the workaround just works for certain people.
I asked for renaming the title already, nobody cares. I'm having my next screenshare in a few minutes, so I'm gonna use CS4 for that, this bug has embarrassed me often enough now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2023 Jan 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this problem with Win 11 less than a year old computer, a new Wacom Intuos Pro, and Photoshop 23 all with the latest updates and drivers. Can't zoom without it freezing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2023 Jul 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This bug is absolutely not fixed, as I keep running into it every few seconds. I have the latest updates, version 24.6. Guess I'll switch back to Procreate or Clip Studio, this bug is impossible to work with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 06, 2023 Sep 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have the Version 24.7.0.
The bug is still present.

Only the solution that works is...

Save your work, restart photoshop. Do this minimum of 10 times a day.  Awesome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines