• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 6 upgrade cannot find installed 5.5 version.

New Here ,
Nov 28, 2022 Nov 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a legal and installed version of photoshop 5.5 (yeah, I know, I'm a dinosaur) and I try to upgrade to photoshop 6 and the install tells me that "A qualifying version of Photoshop was not detected" but both versions are legal disks.  If anyone knows what I am supposed to do now, I would appreciate that knowledge.

janee_0-1670338288520.jpeg

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 01, 2023 Jan 01, 2023

try running in compatibilty mode,  probably using the oldest os offered, or win 98

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have the original ps 5.5 install disk, insert that in your cd/dvd drive then run the ps 6 installer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot to say, copy the photoshop 6 install folder to your drive so you can run the ps 6 installer with the ps 5.5 install disk in the cd drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ps6upgrd.jpg

ps6upgrd2.jpgps6upgrd3.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Odd enough if you have photoshop 6 installed anywhere else, just copy the folder over to your PC. This was before activation and registry checks. It will open without any problems except for the 2GB hard drive restriction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I misunderstand what you're saying, Gene, but copying the app folder over won't work. It's not activation, but the installer still has to write a lot of registry keys.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Starting with 7.0 you had to, but I accidentally found out not with 6. I can run it off a flash drive. It might need to write something to the registry when you start it up, but copying the folder and its contents actually works. 

Not that I want to go back to 6, and that's windows only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really? Interesting. I didn't know that was possible even back then.

That's about the time I started out with Photoshop (yes, I was late), and I remember I was amazed at the clone tool. That was the pièce de résistance that sold me and made me buy my own computer. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 29, 2022 Nov 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@D Fosse wrote:

I was amazed at the clone tool.

Was it called the Clone Stamp tool in PS6? I've been trying to remember when they changed the name from Rubber Stamp tool.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, it may have been rubber stamp. It was magic either way...

I mean, I knew computers had put a man on the moon, but to have it in your own home 😉

It just struck me how old Photoshop 6.0 really is. It's amazing that it still runs on a modern Windows computer. I ran it with 256 megabytes of RAM and a whopping 4 GB hard drive. A friend of mine had two screens, and I used to sit and watch in jaw-dropping awe as he dragged an image straight across to the other screen. Man, that was some serious Matrix-style sh't... 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop 5.5 was the last version that the name Rubber Stamp Tool was used, so yes in ps 6 it was called Clone Stamp Tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@William27340386uf31 wrote:

I try to upgrade to photoshop 6

Upgrades to Photoshop 6.0 are no longer being sold legally. Where did you purchase this?

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2022 Dec 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In 2000, the company I worked for bought me PS 5.5.  They bought it for me because I saved them a boatload of money (at the time, if I remember correctly, PS 5.5 cost around $900).  The design firm they used charged them $3000 for one banner image that could have been done in PS in a few minutes while drunk!  The only thing they had that PS did not was a specific font that the sales team liked and the font could be purchased for $69 and allowed commercial use.  It was actually my boss that bought me the PS 6 upgrade without me asking "in case there was functionality that PS 5.5 did not have."  When PS was bought for me, I was told that both software versions were mine and I could keep them when I left the company, which I thought was kinda unprecedented but greatly appreciated.  I apologize for not responding earlier, but Adobe contacted me and gave me a very good price on CS6.  That version may be old to many, but it was about 12 years newer than PS6 which excited me to no end!  Thank you very much for responding to my question!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe contacted me and gave me a very good price on CS6

By @William27340386uf31

They would never do that! This sounds like a scam.

There has never been an upgrade path from PS version 5.5 to PS version 13 (CS6). Even if it was a legit CS6 upgrade, it wouldn't accept 5.5 as a valid qualifying version. It would be far too old.

Photoshop CS6 hasn't been legally available, in any form, since 2015 or so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe contacted me and gave me a very good price on CS6.

• Were you contacted by email or PM?
  • Was the email address .adobe.com or .outlook.com?
  • Can you share the message with us?

As DFosse said, this reeks of a scammer. As was said earlier, CS6 is not being sold legally. Pirated copies frequently come with malware and often do not work correctly. Scammers don't do this out of good will.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can understand your skepticism.  At least Jane was polite about it, even though she was saying the same thing as D Fosse.  Not all people are liars as you imply.

Alright

Check your Desktop there is the Folder Name With Adobe CS 6

Open the folder then open Photoshop CS 6 and Run Setup.exe and install with Serial Number
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Thursday, December 1, 2022 2:31 AM
To: Adobe Systems Incorporated <AdobeHelp.Care@outlook.com>
Subject: Re: Order Information

I don't get a chance to enter the serial number. The install starts, then after unpacking, it starts installing, then the install window goes away.

On many installs, there is a final prompt box with a message something like software installed and then there is a "Finish" button that comes up letting you know that the install was completed. Does PS CS6 have that functionality at the end of the install process? If so, I am not getting to that window.

Thank you.

William Connor
On 11/30/2022 3:44 PM Adobe Systems Incorporated <adobehelp.care@outlook.com> wrote:

What Exactly happens after entering the serial number? and after pressing the install button?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Thursday, December 1, 2022 2:12 AM

That's another strange thing. It doesn't throw an error. It just doesn't install.

In case it helps, this is the Windows version I am running:

Version 22H2 (OS Build 19045.2251)

and it is a 64 bit system

Thank you.

XXXXXX XXXXXX
On 11/30/2022 3:31 PM Adobe Systems Incorporated <adobehelp.care@outlook.com> wrote:

Can you please send the Screenshot of the CS 6 Error message?

Sent: Thursday, December 1, 2022 1:53 AM

The solution you gave me made perfect sense, but did not work.

What do I try next?

Thank you.

XXXXXX XXXXXX
On 11/30/2022 2:56 PM Adobe Systems Incorporated <adobehelp.care@outlook.com> wrote:

First uninstall CS 5 from your computer and then restart your computer and try to install CS 6
This CS 6 is the Full Version and nothing to do with CS 5

Sent: Thursday, December 1, 2022 1:23 AM

I am quite confused. I try to install PS CS6 and it will not install and now there is a link on my 5.5 PS that tells me to register my 5.5 registration. I tried to do that thinking that CS6 might think I have a pirated copy of 5.5. I tried to register and could not connect with the server. I assume that the server doesn't care about 5.5, but don't know. I tried to install again with no results. I am Administrator on this Windows so that doesn't seem to be the issue.

Help!

I don't know why this type of thing happens to me. ??

Thank you very much, I have faith that you will be able to help me.

XXXXXX XXXXXX
On 11/30/2022 2:33 PM Adobe Systems Incorporated <adobehelp.care@outlook.com> wrote:

It's absolutely alright. Don't be sorry ??

In case if you will face any trouble, do let us know replying to this Email and we will contact you back and help you.

Sent: Thursday, December 1, 2022 12:23 AM

I am very sorry about my paranoia. I am very embarrassed. I have obviously gotten the download links and am downloading now. Thank you very much for the great deal I was given! As I mentioned, I have loved Photoshop for many years!

Thank you again!

XXXXXX XXXXXX
On 11/30/2022 1:39 PM Adobe Systems Incorporated <adobehelp.care@outlook.com> wrote:

Thank you for making the payment.

Here is the Download Link for Adobe Photoshop CS 6 For Windows

Download Both the Link Files, Once both the Download Completed then Run .EXE one
XXXXXX
XXXXXX

Download Adobe Photoshop CS 6 , Install with the Serial Number:-

Serial No-XXXXXX

And you all set 🙂

In case if you will face any trouble, do let us know replying to this Email and we will contact you back and help you.

Sent: Wednesday, November 30, 2022 11:13 PM

That is great. Only one problem. I do not have a Paypal account. What do we do now?

XXXXXX XXXXXX
On 11/30/2022 12:27 PM Adobe Systems Incorporated <adobehelp.care@outlook.com> wrote:

Adobe Photoshop CS 6 Digital License For Windows-US$XXXXXX

Name-XXXXXX XXXXXX

Email ID-XXXXXX@XXXXXX

Phone Number-XXXXXX

Address-XXXXXX

Mode of Payment-PayPal

Kindly find the attached Payment Receipt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sent: Thursday, December 1, 2022 2:31 AM

This is what we feared. Adobe does not do email support. When they do send email, it has an address ending with .adobe.com, never outlook.com. These guys are scammers. If they sent you a PM, there is a Report button in the PM window to send it to Adobe.

I don't use PayPay, but I've heard that they can give refunds. I found this link to the PayPal site:

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/paypal-safety-and-security

You're Protected If:

3. Your order arrives, but it's significantly different than it was described.

There are a variety of scenarios that meet this condition, for instance:

• You received a counterfeit version of the item.

Jane

Forum volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I don't know what to say.  I guess I had too much faith.  The links I got downloaded exactly what I supposedly paid for.

These are the links I was given seemed to be legit.  I didn't thing someone could spoof adobe.com, but what do I know.  I was paranoid that it seemed too good to be true (I should have listened to my Dad) since it didn't smell right that the email came from @outlook.com and not @adobe and the invoice that came from PayPal had a specific person's name on it with no mention of Adobe.

Am I really that gullible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bah...  You can't edit posts.  I left out this:

http://trials.adobe.com/AdobeProducts/legacy/******/Photoshop_13_LS16.exe

http://trials.adobe.com/AdobeProducts/legacy/******/Photoshop_13_LS16.7z

Now that I really look at the link, I guess the http should have been https, and in a trials address, but I didn't pay attention to that since I got the software I thought I had bought and the server (it sure looked like it anyway) accepted the serial number.

Sigh...  I guess I really am that gullible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@William27340386uf31 

I'm sorry to hear this happened to you, William. Scammers are everywhere these days, from what I read in the newspapers.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could sworn I got the support link from the Adobe site.  Wrongo Mary Lou...  As I'm sure you already knew all the links are adobe.com...

Man I hate being stupid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to reply to my own post, but I've been thinking and I can't for the life of me remember where I got that "support" link.  They didn't email me first.  Somewhere I found a link that I sent my questions to and got responses.  I don't understand, in my tiny little brain, how I could fall for this.  I'm usually very paranoid and careful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The bigger problem is that now you need to reformat your hard drive and reinstall everything from scratch because there's a strong possibility that you got malware from that scammer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@William27340386uf31 

Try clicking the envelope in the upper right corner of the forum window. He/she/it may have sent you a PM. If you didn't delete it, the correspondence is still there. There is a menu (3 dots) where you can report them to Adobe.

Also, Malwarebytes has a free version that will remove malware. (The pro version does more.)

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

William,

I'm very sorry this happened to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines