• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 6 upgrade cannot find installed 5.5 version.

New Here ,
Nov 28, 2022 Nov 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a legal and installed version of photoshop 5.5 (yeah, I know, I'm a dinosaur) and I try to upgrade to photoshop 6 and the install tells me that "A qualifying version of Photoshop was not detected" but both versions are legal disks.  If anyone knows what I am supposed to do now, I would appreciate that knowledge.

janee_0-1670338288520.jpeg

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 01, 2023 Jan 01, 2023

try running in compatibilty mode,  probably using the oldest os offered, or win 98

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2022 Dec 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am very sorry as well.  Thank you all for giving a crap.

Jane, how did you know about the @outlook.com address?  Are you aware of others that have been hosed like myself?

And d fosse, I apologize for being rude.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi William,

They had a slightly different address, which was banned. I will report this one.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL.  I was just about to ask what the address was to report fraud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@William27340386uf31 

When we report spammers who PM folks, we are always told the best way is for the user to click the Report button in the message window. Do you see any PMs when you click the envelope in the upper right?

943DE5EC-C08B-44F6-9A5A-AD0D4798196E.jpeg

It's not just the Adobe forums. Spammers are everywhere these days! 😖

See this page for reporting:

https://helpx.adobe.com/security/alertus.html

How do I report an email, website or pop-up window that falsely claims to represent Adobe?

How do I report software piracy (copying, selling, or use of software that hasn't been properly licensed)?

Visit the Adobe anti-piracy page.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Jane!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome, William!

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And d fosse, I apologize for being rude

By @William27340386uf31

No problem, I expected a lot worse 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still, it is pretty arrogant to think that I am smarter than members who have been here I don't know how many years.

Thank you for being patient with the newb.

(do people still use the term newbie?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't know about the messages until it was mentioned...

Photoshop 6 upgrade cannot find installed 5.5 version.

Welcome to Adobe Support Community

Hi,

You can Directly send Email to our Adobe Customer Care Team Email Address:-
AdobeHelp.Care@outlook.com and they will help you via Email.

Team Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tim Fleck.. to William27340386uf31
‎Nov 28, 2022 02:37 PM

Photoshop 6 upgrade cannot find installed 5.5 vers...

Welcome to Adobe Support Community

Hi,

You can Directly send Email to our Adobe Customer Care Team Email Address:-
AdobeHelp.Care@outlook.com and they will help you via Email.

Team Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 07, 2022 Dec 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@William27340386uf31 

This spammer has been caught and banned. Thank you for reporting him/her/it.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2022 Dec 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update:

I did get a refund via PayPal.  PayPal is considering canceling their account for selling illegal products.  They kept emailing me to drop the dispute with PayPal and I kept responding Please refund my money.  Once, they sent links and images to many other sites that were also selling CS6.  I highlighted the important part and part of my response was Looks like you already know you are selling illegal software followed by my Please refund my money.  That was pretty funny.  One of the links leads to a site

Also, I sent the entire email conversation to piracy@adobe.com.  They took care of the issue.  I didn't get a response (I don't really know why I expected a personal response, but anyway...) so every so often I would open an image in the illegal copy of CS6 I had and one day when I loaded an image all that came up was a couple hundred pixels.  It was like a starry night in technicolor!  The other people they scammed are gonna be really, really mad when their CS6 doesn't work!!! hehehe  That might put a damper at least on their selling Photoshop.  I don't expect they have a bunch of serial numbers hanging around that will work.

Normally I am a stickler about privacy issues so for a minute I was irritated that Adobe had "invaded" my computer to disable CS6.  Then I thought that if I had spent a lot of time and money creating something and I found out someone was using it without paying me, I'd do something about it myself.

As far as my first issue about the PS6 upgrade, not only am I gullible enough to fall for buying illegal software, it seems I can't read clear English either.  The upgrade instructions clearly state something to the effect to insert the media from a PS version 4.1 or later and don't forget to put the upgrade cd back into the drive before continuing.  WOW.  Funny how things work when you follow instructions...

Now I have another issue (see attached screenshot).  PS6 won't start.  My hardware has not changed, no windows update recently, no driver updates etc.  This started shortly after the illegal CS6 was uninstalled.  Then, yesterday PS 5.5 won't load an image.  The progress indicator (or whatever it's called) just keeps spinning and and spinning.   I do have to admit I did play around with CS6 while I had it.  Could this be due to Adobe disabling my legal versions because of what I did with CS6 before uninstalling it?  Does anyone know what to do to fix this?  If not, who do I contact to see if I can use my legal PS versions?

PS:  I took the advice, even though I didn't seem to find an issue, to format my drive and put my system back to it's original install state.  I did lose the copy of MS Office 2016 I bought when I bought the laptop from Dell, but I'm working on that.

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you reinstall CS5.5 from the original DVD?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 01, 2023 Jan 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, they are cds, not dvds, but yes, a fresh install of the original Photoshop 5.5 and a v6 upgrade purchasrd in 2000.  It is all I have, cannot afford a new version and these versions do what I need

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS6 is no bargain at any price. It's obsolete software that's more than a decade out of date.  It won't install much less run on most modern computers.

Best advice, get modern software.  If not Photoshop, then something else.

Photoshop Elements (no subscription needed).
https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-elements.html

Creative Cloud Photography Plan (approx $10/month for 12 months). Includes the following:

• Photoshop CC and Photoshop on iPad
  • Camera Raw
  • Lightroom on desktop, mobile and the web
  • Lightroom Classic
  • Portfolio website + hosting
  • Adobe Express (free starter plan)
  • Bridge
  • 20 GB cloud storage (upgradable to 1 TB).
  • Free upgrades for paid subscribers

https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/photography.html

Premium Adobe Express ($10/month).

• Adobe Express app (web and mobile)
  • Premiere Rush (video editor for desktop and mobile)
  • Photoshop Express (mobile)
  • Spark Video (mobile)
  • Spark Page (mobile)
  • Adobe Portfolio Website + hosting
  • 100 GB of cloud storage
  • All premium templates and design assets including the collection of over 160 million royalty-free Adobe Stock photo collection.

https://helpx.adobe.com/express/using/express-overview.html

Creative Cloud All Apps (51 + pro-apps & services) and Single App Plans
https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/plans.html

Hope that helps.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

William,

You wiped the drive, reinstalled winows 10 or 11 and updates, then installed ps 5.5 and ps 6 and you get that error message when starting photoshop 6?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is correct.  Complete install of os, windows and driver updates and same hardware error even though PS6 (not CS6) will function a few times, then give the harware error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@William27340386uf31 

<error.  i thought your trying to upgrade from ps cs5.5 to ps cs 6.>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You responded and I appreciate that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try running in compatibilty mode,  probably using the oldest os offered, or win 98

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running Windows 10.

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, but ps versions were designed to work with an older os.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much!  At least now PS6 actually loaded.  We'll see if it continues to run, but your help has gotten me a very good start!

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you're welcome. keep us updated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kglad   After using compatibility mode, PS6 has been working perfectly!  Thank you very, very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines