• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 6 won't run on Windows 10 on new computer

New Here ,
Jan 18, 2020 Jan 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just installed a new PC that runs Windows 10. My old computer also used 10. My photoshop 6 ran fine on my old computer and I reloaded my Photoshop 6 disc to the new computer without problem. However, it will not run. I tried to run it as administrator as suggested, but it still won't run.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2021 Jan 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOLs... I updated my hardware and installed the latest Win 10.  Now my old Photoshop 6.0 from about 1998 won't load.  Same error as others previously stated.  I use PS about 3 times a year, so I'm not interested in buying it again, or paying for a subscription.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suggest you consider spending money, or get hold of an old computer - perhaps from someone's loft. I assume you read all the responses already and tried the things that worked for some people. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep.  I have an old laptop I use occasionally.  I'll install PS 6.0 and use it there, with a USB mouse for better control .  It will serve my needs adequatelty. Not real convenient, but adequately. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2021 Jan 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although I did break down and got a subscription for the new Photoshop, and am enjoying the 20-year upgrade in technology (some of this stuff is magic), Photoshop 6 can be made to work on Windows 10 by using compatibility mode.  The only functionality that appears to be lost is the ability to drag and drop photos into the program.  I found you have to use the File, Open function to get them in, or copy and paste onto a new (Ctrl+N) file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. I tried opening with right-click compatibility mode,
no success. I also tried applying the Windows 10 "Compatibility"
troubleshooting method. Still didn't work.

All I use PS 6 for is light photo editing. It's WAY more powerful than
anything I do.

Not interested in an upgrade of any kind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In that case, use Gimp.  It's free.

Or use something other than outdated PS6 which is not supported by any modern operating systems.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How well is your model T ford running on unleaded gas and pot hole filled roads system? Have you complained to Henry he is dead also.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know what you are saying, and if I didn't want to do a few more "advanced" things with my photo editing, I would have stuck with Photoshop 6, so I would ignore those trying to get you to upgrade too.

You might have tried this, but just in case..... I found the best case compatibility mode that works is Windows 98/Windows ME.  Nothing later, XP, 7, 8, etc., worked.

Best of luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a lot of other free and low cost software that can  do what a casual user of Photoshop 6 do with Photoshop.  They do not need to upgrade.  With all the bugs that Adobe releases  I would not even recommend that they should subscribe.  An occasional user of Photoshop does not need Adobe Photoshop its more then they need they don't need all the features Photoshop has or know how to use them.  Photoshop version 6 is not well suited for today's systems.  They are wasting too must time try to revive a dead horse. They just need a free young pony.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I'd been thinking the same. Got some suggestions?

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just reinstalled, using compatibility for 98/Windows ME on everything
from starting the initial install to launching the desktop PS icon. I had
tried compatibility for XP before.

Using "98/Windows ME" compatibility WORKS!

I did a simple image edit as a test, no problem!

Time will tell!

Thanks for the help,
John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Xclnt!  Photoshop 6 lives on, forever!!  Ha!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Photoshop 6 lives on, forever!!"

================

LOL!  Or until the next Windows update sees fit to kill it.  Ha!! 🙂

For everyone else here who who graduated from the 90's, there are plenty of graphics editors available online for low to no money.  Do a Google search.

Goodbye & good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same thing just happened to me. I've been using Photoshop 6 with Wondows 10 for at least 5 years, and on this computer for about a year. I used it this morning to edit some photos. Tried to reopen it this afternoon and it simply won't work, same unrecoverable error message other people have noted here. Did anybody ever recover from this error? I've been considering Elements for years, but would rather avoid the learning curve. Yeah, I'm old. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Photoshop 6 with Wondows 10

=======

@Rachel5DC6,

PS6 from 2000 or CS6 from 2012?  There's a huge difference between them.

If it's the latter, try unistalling and reinstalling CS6 from your installation disk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's the former, PS6 fprm 2000. I suppose I could reinstall that from the disk though. Will try before giving up. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll light a candle and burn some incense but I think the likelihood this will keep working on latest Win10 is slim to none.  And slim just left town.  🙂

MODERN OPTIONS:
Photoshop Elements (approx $100, no subscription needed).  Elements is a lite version without all the bells & whistles of PS CC but it is 100% better than what you have now.  
ADOBE PHOTOSHOP ELEMENTS 2021

Creative Cloud Photography Plan -- approx $10/month for 12 months. Includes the latest versions of these great products & services in a deeply discounted bundle:
-- Photoshop CC and Photoshop on iPad
-- Lightroom on desktop, mobile and the web
-- Lightroom Classic
-- Portfolio website + hosting
-- Spark with premium features
-- Bridge
-- 20 GB cloud storage (upgradable to 1 TB).
Photo

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 29, 2021 May 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Run it in Windows 98 compatability mode on windows 10 computer, It works just fine for PS 6.0 from 2000

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 29, 2021 May 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Windows 98 compatability mode how to?

How do you run programs in Windows 98 compatibility mode?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines