• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 7.0 -Windows 10 Tries to open but shuts down

Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using PS 7.0 for years without any problems. The other day PS gave me an error msg Error #115 and said it was missing a file AMDU13.fon  A search failed to find this file.

I then did a System Restore and PS would still not open.

I then found the AMDU13.fon file on another PC and tried to add it to the Photoshop/Required Directory (BTW the AMDU13.fon file that I seached for was there, but search didn't find it???) assuming that my original file was corrupt. PS still wouldn't open.

I then did an uninstall and re-installed PS 7.0 and it still won't start, but Imageready will open.

I am stumped. Any advise would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Ken

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Dec 28, 2023 Dec 28, 2023

This is inaccurate and misleading, I have PS7 on my surface pro which runs Windows 11 and it runs perfectly fine.  I have it installed on my HP laptop which gives me the same problem as stated above.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop version 7 is a very old version and may be incompatible with modern OS – which OS are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting the ps7 preferences by going to

C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Photoshop

and deleting the

7.0 folder

note that on windows 10 the Roaming folder is hidden and Show hidden files and folders needs to be enabled

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/show-hidden-files-0320fe58-0117-fd59-6851-9b7f9840fdb2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff:

I appreciate the help. I deleted the PS7 prefs file and it still does the same thing. When it tries to open the splash screen comes up for a second or 2 and then it disappears.

Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you installed any new filters (plugins) for ps7 lately?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff:

No filters, no nothing new. 

Iy has been working on this aptop for years without any problems until the other day when the problem started while trying to open an image I had saved minutes ago. PS could not find the file that was there and gave me the error message.

Thank for any help!

Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does your computer have an ssd or a spinning hard drive?

Was the file you were trying to open actually still there using File Explorer?

Any other programs having issues?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff:

I'm not sure about the HD. Unlike another laptop I have, I don't hear the HD when it is accessing files. Seems to be silent. Not sure how I could check on that???

Yes the file is there in Explorer, and no, this is the only program giving me any issues. Everything else seems to ne working ok.

Sorry, but my working knowledge on this is very limited (as you can probably see:-)

Thanks again,

Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See if right clicking on the ps7 shortcut and clicking on Run as administrator makes any difference.

Screenshot-(849).png

In the Start menu right click on the Adobe Photoshop 7 shortcut, then More and Run as administrator

Screenshot-(848).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff:

No, sorry that doesn't work. It tries to start and when the splash screens comes up it get the "Sorting Font List" and then it quits. Not sure if that helps or not but I really appreciate your tenacity on this!

Ken  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This adobe kb lists fonts that are known to cause problems for photoshop.

Known problematic fonts

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-fonts-photoshop.html

Or you think of any other fonts recently installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff:

Well I am at my wit's end. No there have not been any new fonts, programs or anything installed for many months.

I "tried" to follow the Adobe help file you referenced and searched for the offending fonts. No luck. I also deleted the system font cache and still no luck. 

I don't understand how this could work fine for years and all of a sudden not start. Even after uninstalling and reinstalling PS it still doesn't start up

I am about to give up.

Thanks Jeff.

Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to upgrade to the Photography Plan to be compatible with your OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2022 Mar 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Derek:

Thanks for the reply, but this has been working on this laptop and this OS for years. I don't understand why this all of a sudden will not work when nothing has changed. 

Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something must have been changed on your computer.

I think it's happened after installing one of the Windows patches or updates.

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Axel:

I'm not aware of any patches or updates installed without my knowledge. How do reverse this? I did try a Restore system and that had no effect.

Thanks,

Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are all sorts of problems that you could hit without deliberately changing anything. For example, Photoshop 7 can't handle a disk with more than 1TB of free space. So cleaning up a disk could cause this to break.  Also, Windows 10 has constant, compulsory, updates. So it is not the same system from week to week. Any one of these Microsoft updates could stop things from working in old system. Looks like your luck has run out - perhaps 15 years later than most people's luck...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Controlled folder access is enabled on your win 10 install, then that may be the problem.

You can add ps7 to the exceptions as described here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/photoshop-cc-won-t-save-file-error-fi...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop 7.0 is an old version and it doesn't support new Microsoft windows os, it also have problem with compatibility issue, we don't recommend you to download or update Photoshop 7.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2023 Dec 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is inaccurate and misleading, I have PS7 on my surface pro which runs Windows 11 and it runs perfectly fine.  I have it installed on my HP laptop which gives me the same problem as stated above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines