• English
      • Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

Photoshop and Illustrator crash my iMac 2020, Monterey, when external display is connected

New Here ,
Dec 13, 2021 Dec 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For months now I have had the same problem.  Very soon after opening Photoshop and beginning to work my computer shuts down and automatically restarts.  Upon restart I am presented with a 'your computer shut down because of a problem' screen which I then always prompt to submit a report to Apple and take a screenshot of the problem details.  I attach the latest screenshot.

My computer is a 2020 iMac Retina 5K, 3.6GHz 10-Core Intel Core i9 with 64GB Ram and AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT 8 GB.  I am running OS Monterey 12.0.1.  I am running Photoshop v 23.0.2 by subscription to Creative Cloud.

Screenshot 2021-12-08 at 11.44.31.pngScreenshot 2021-12-08 at 15.27.27.png

I have had extensive communications with both Apple support and with the tech team at the reseller where I purchased the computer.  The computer has been in to the tech team there where they performed a full factory reset and reinstall of the OS but the problem persisted.  The computer also went into the Apple Store where they performed diagnostic tests that showed no hardware issues whatsoever.

By process of elimination I arrive at the sole cause of the problem being the Adobe software.  The problem does not occur with any of the other programs I use.  I am a creative professional using 3d modelling and drawing software daily and am reliant upon the external display as an essential part of my set-up.  Photoshop is an important part of my workflow and as such presents me with great frustration that I can't use it without it crashing my computer.  It is important to note that the problem DOES NOT occur without the external display connected but this is not a good way for me to work to have to connect and disconnect the external display all the time.  

This never used to happen with my old Macbook Pro running Catalina but that was with older editions of Photoshop too.  I am at my wits end!

Please help!

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 13, 2021 Dec 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A system crash usually means a low level failure such as a driver (bad video card driver, etc), failing hardware (hard disk, video card, etc.). Do you have an external GPU? When Apple ran their hardware test, did they have an external monitor hooked up?

Senior Product Manager - Customer Advocacy - Digital Imaging

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2022 Jan 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have the same problem. We have two 2020 iMac models and over 20 2017 Models. The two 2020 models crashing with external Monitor with InDesign 2020. The other 20 Models with Model 2017 not.

We have tried to reinstall OS, Monterey, Big Sur and now with Catalina. Nothing works. Mac will crashing with external monitor when we open and use InDesign 2020 for a while.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 17, 2022 Jan 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your display Thunderbolt, DisplayPort, DVI, or HDMI? Can you switch to a different connection type? Also, do you have a Thunderbolt or USB-C dock connected?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2022 Nov 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have the same problem too. Apple keep saying it's not a hardware issue and won't try to fix it after I took it to the Apple Store and they also did a hardware analysis. The thing is, we bought 3 of the same iMac 27 mid 2020, and mine is the only one with the issue with Photoshop and Adobe. So clearly, only some iMac has this issue but not others. It must be a something that's defective with the computer, and it's not Photoshop. Someone please help find a solution or my computer is useless because I'm dependent on Photoshop for my work.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines