Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop automatic numbering

Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2022 Jun 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I need to create some 100+ layers with all kinds of different prices, the price text for each layer is like € 243,- > € 246,- >  € 255,- etc. Is there an fast and easier way then edit the price every time and save it (as PNG) one for one. It takes hours. I tried something already with variables but it didn't work somehow, not sure but it couldn't generate the € sign and the ,- . 

Any tips are welcome to speed up this horrible proces!

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are you doing this in Photoshop? 

I am not saying that it cannot be automated but I suspect Indesign or Illustrator might be a better fit for the task.

Anyway I get the feeling you didn’t provide a meaningful description of what you are doing exactly …

In which form does the list of the numbers exist at current? CSV-file, txt, …? 

Are you trying to create Layers or png files ultimately? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok I try to explain it better. I have this Photoshop file of a layer with a price, I need around 100+ different prices. So I need that exact image but with differtent prices everytime. The price layer text is like € 243,-, but I also need prices like € 556,-,  € 753,- et. Ofcourse I know the prices I need but I haven't got them in an excel or text file. Im trying to create png files (its called layer files in my case, cause I need to put these png's files over another image of a product).

I followed this guide but it didn't work for me for some reason, not sure but it could be that the variable option couldn't handle the ",-" in my text document. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ofcourse I know the prices I need but I haven't got them in an excel or text file

How do you expect to automate the task if the list of values does not exist in digital form? 

Edit: Even if you just followed the tutorial you linked to you needed the list as a text-file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a text-file document when I followed that specific guide. Everything worked fine untill I tried to import the text file with the ",-" included, without, so only the numbers, it worked. Not sure I can share the PSD right now, its from work...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please provide the list-file and the psd (feel free to remove everything except the type layer in question). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what the file looks like, I hide some of the details. Its now only about the price I need to change.

Priceimage.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the UTF-8-encoding @Stephen_A_Marsh mentioned make a difference or not? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created the same textfile setup as in the video, then I tried to import that file with Unicode (UTF-8) but it gave an error, something like "could not parse the file contents as a dataset. The name 'price' is not a variable in the current document."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got a new error > "Could not parse the file contents as a dataset. There are too many values listed for data set 1."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

edited

Also note that the column header should match the variable name.

And »should« is putting it mildly. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok I did it trough another way, I added the prices within Photshop. I got now many Photshop files but I can't use the image processor to save them to PNG, only jpeg and TIFF are availble. How can I convert all the PSDs to png?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 25, 2022 Jun 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 25, 2022 Jun 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used UTF-8 encoding and quoted all text. Animated screenshot:

variabels.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you explain what you did? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2022-06-24 at 12.20.37.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saved the CSV file using UTF-8 text encoding, with the option to wrap the spreadsheet content in open/close quotes. You can see that in the first frame of the animation where the spreadsheet has been opened into a text editor for display.

When importing the CSV, although one can use automatic detection, I explicitly told Photoshop that the data file was using UTF-8.

The "header" was named var – but it could have been named anything, such as price. The variable in Photoshop should also match in the name.

That's pretty much it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If saving as CSV, any text strings that contain commas have to be enclosed with quotes. If saving as TXT tabbed delimited then having commas shouldn't be an issue. Also note that the column header should match the variable name.

header.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines