• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Beachball & Mac Mayhem

Explorer ,
Dec 27, 2021 Dec 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been a wild ride since updating to Big Sur in September. This ceasless game of digital whack-a-mole is apparently how I will spend the bulk of my waking hours until the end of time. Another day, another mystery, another forum. Repeat. 

The issue du jour is PhotoShop (v23.1, but present in other versions). I fire it up, everything runs fine for about 5 minutes, and then the beachballs start. It's unclear from Activity Monitor what the culprit is. There doesn't appear to be any unusually high CPU or memory load for either Photoshop or CC (although PhotoShop will go in and out of 'not responding'). But it's clear some process is kicking in and when it does the whole system starts to sputter. Even after quitting PS the poor performance lingers until I reboot the desktop. Sometimes CC prompts me to 'repair,' sometimes it doesn't. It doesn't normally crash so there's no report. All I know is it worked fine a few weeks ago, some updates from Apple and Adobe come down the pike, and now it doesn't. 

It appears that only Photoshop triggers the metdown. And not the app itself, but something in the handshake between PS and Creative Cloud, or Creative Cloud and Mac. I've uninstalled/reinstanlled various versions of PS - even previous versions that used to work exhibit the same behavior now. I've 'repaired' and reinstalled CC, tried running PS with CC quit, with WiFi turned off - basically anything I can think of at this point.

I'm running the latest updates on an iMac Late 2015 4GHz Quad-Core i7, with 32GB memory, and an AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4 GB graphics card (Monterey v12.1). No spring chicken, but capable nonetheless. Furthermore I had to basically burn everything down a few months ago and start over with a new MacOS install and a fresh Admin Home User. It's a pretty lean machine at the moment.

Any advice from the Adobe-sphere? Anyone experiencing similar symptoms? 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jan 19, 2022 Jan 19, 2022

UPDATE & SOLVED (Maybe): After fidling with this thing for over a month I may have found a solution. Perhaps this may help someone in the future, but you may want to read the context portion following the steps before implementing as everyone's problem can be slightly different. What it boils down to is an uninstall/re-install of CC and Photoshop - and that is, in fact, one of the troubleshooting measures offered by Big A. What they don't mention is that Adobe sprinkles crap around your computer

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Jan 20, 2022 Jan 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What matters is that in the end, you are happy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines