• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CC 2015 is so slow it is unusable on my system

Contributor ,
Jun 17, 2015 Jun 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no idea what is wrong here but this version of PS its horribly slow.

Here is a video i just captured about this issue:

http://cl.ly/2W0P381A1G1y/60fps-PSCC2015-slow.mp4

There is not difference with GPU enabled, there is no difference if I have or not rules enabled. I never experienced something like with with CC 2014.

MacPro with 12 cores and 64GB RAM

Its there something I could do to fix this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 03, 2016 Feb 03, 2016

We have a suggestion we'd like affected people to try out.

If you have slow menus or laggy commands, can you try turning OFF font preview (Type>Font Preview Size = None)?

(If it was already off, and you still have slow menus or laggy commands, we'd like to know that as well.)

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 378 Replies 378
Community Expert ,
Mar 16, 2016 Mar 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not defending Adobe here at all.

I know all the issues out there.

What may work for some doesn't for others.

You on a windows OS or mac OS?

Video card?

I think the OS's have as much to do with the problem as does Adobe.

I have 20 years testing Microsoft products and have been a Technet advisor for 10 years.

I spend half my time here figuring out hell is getting broken here.

I am not a Adobe shill. If I can help great.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a system that maybe vulnerable since i've seen others come up in the searches.

Right now i'm working on a Macbook Pro retina, Nvidia Geforce GT 650m using the Open GL engine running el capitan the most up to date software.

I want to complain but maybe we need to start doing a large tracking thread in this forum to collect the specs of all the systems and what bugs and causes. Because looking at page views and and the activity on this thread and similar ones i find searching on google.

The things i find that trigger it the most is the zoom out (zoom in stinks, but not as bad as zoom out) i also suspect it might be something to do with art boards. its the one feature i use the most often now and i seem to have the most problems since i started using them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are using a video GPU that came out in 2012 when it was introduced, its performance rating was average.

If you have the 1 gig of ram version that is part of your problem.

I know and can sympathise with you. I had to sell mine and get a 2015 model.

We ask for more and more features and it comes at a cost. We have the people who need the latest and greatest and those that are happy with their 4 year old machine.

Again no one things fixes everybodies problem. I don't have an asewer for yours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 17, 2016 Mar 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But average still should work now.

4 years i know is on the edge of technology relevance. But at the same time, this is photoshop. Im not rendering 3d fly throughs in Maya. I know there are new features, but most of these new features aren't must haves for most designers and photographers. I found the art boards to be buggy and at first was great but now i find they generally cause most of the problems.

Maybe Adobe should consider making special additions for 3d since cramming all these features into one app seems to cause so many usability problems.

I know from the total install base this might be small, but at the same time. With such a large user base, what is "small" is about as much as other softwares user bases.

Thanks for the help, but i think this is something adobe needs to address in the next update or patch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2016 Mar 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most folks here are working professionals like myself.  We have super computers.  Mine is Windows 10, i7 CPU, 32 gb of Ram, high end Nvidia gaming card, SSD's, scratch disks, etc.  We have all tried turning off Rulers, Font preview and every possible configuration for Performance settings; history states, Graphics accleration, memory allocation etc.

< personal insults and garbage removed by admins >

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a follow up to say that "Photoshop CC" works like a champ.  Everyone follow these instructions to install previous versions: Install a previous version of any Creative Cloud application

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Blaming it on the users is a clear sign they really dont know what to do. So no solution is coming anytime soon.

Unfortunately, the bigger and more bloated PS has become, the harder and harder it is for dev's of this app to track what is wrong now.

The need to trim PS down. This app used to be the gold standard of what a AAA quality app should be. Now it's quickly becoming the punch line in creative communities.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a similar problem as I mentioned above in Illustrator and Photoshop.  For me it was the navigator pane (slow as molasses when enabled, fast when disabled).   Zooming, panning (with space bar + mouse) and in Illustrator re-sizing an object resulted in painfully slow wait times, sometimes as much as 15-20 seconds...which is a long time when waiting for a simple square to resize.

A few weeks later I am still problem free, and still today if I enable it, back to slow as molasses.

I haven't had anyone else say this worked for them so it may be only specific to me...who knows.  Here's my specs FWIW.

Windows 10 on a Dell XPS 8700.  Intel i7-4790. 16 gigs RAM. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745. Driver version 353.82.  120gig SSD mirrored array (used as OS and scratch) and 1TB secondary. Photoshop CC v. 2015.1.2. Illustrator CC v. 2015.2.1

(I know the video driver is out of date...I'm always hesitant upgrading video drivers on a Dell machine directly from NVIDIA, has caused me major headaches in the past.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it has to be something in the software. It seems to effect both Mac's and PC's and regardless of power in the machine, nothing seems to help address these issues. i've searched all over the net.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Years ago Adobe had Dimensions but abandoned it in favor of merging the features into Photoshop and Illustrator.  IMHO a big mistake...Photoshop is such a great photo editor, why devalue it by adding sub-par 3D features?

In any case as Murphy's law continues, software complexity will also continue to rise.  Too bad you can't choose features to install when installing Photoshop like you can in Microsoft Office.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree.

Also thiis constant linkage to cloud to establish a peer to peer marketing aprroach is a performance disastere as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This performance thing going on with Photoshop is a huge mystery to me. Photoshop CC 2015 seems to run just fine on my now-aging, nearly 5 year old notebook computer (Dell XPS, Win 7 Ultimate, Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2GB GeForce GT 540M, 1080p RGB LED display). I've never experienced the lag issues on it. But my work PC has given me headaches. It's a newer Dell desktop with 24GB of RAM and a more powerful nVidia desktop video card.

One thing I'm wondering is how many people running multiple monitor setups are experiencing this kind of lag. That's one difference between my work setup and notebook at home. I imagine it could have something to do with operating systems. However, I find it strange that both Mac and Windows users seem to be affected. How much of this lag problem is happening on systems running nVidia cards versus cards from ATI or some other vendor?

My work PC will run fine for a period of time. But the lag seems to come back when the wrong combination of updates gets delivered from Microsoft, nVidia and Adobe. I had one update from nVidia last week that I had to uninstall by way of the computer totally crashing, getting into a reboot loop and finally faulting into safe mode. Thankfully selecting the last restore point got the computer back to normal, but the process ate up about 45 minutes of my time. I think Microsoft was pushing through some critical update while the nVidia driver was trying to install. It's a whole lot of fun booting up a computer in the morning and having various pieces of software shoving updates at the machine, seen or unseen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 18, 2016 Mar 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running the second monitor does seem to cause issues. I know i've unplugged the second monitor and performance has gone up for After Effects, however, Photoshop still lags. Not as bad for a few seconds it seems, then zoom just hangs again.

and so far it looks like we need a software update. The little rulers and other little tricks only go so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"One thing I'm wondering is how many people running multiple monitor setups are experiencing this kind of lag. That's one difference between my work setup and notebook at home."

Actually I am running two monitors.  One is an NEC EA244WMi (connected via DVI) where I do most of my work, the other is an old 22" LG which was part of a package from an old computer (connected via VGA).

I did a quick test of unplugging the LG  but Illustrator and Photoshop still ran with plenty of lag.  I think I'll run with one monitor today after rebooting to see if it clears up at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, I'm running into the same issues. Any updates that get us closer to working properly? I've read the first few pages, but oy...this is definitely frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It *wasn't* multiple monitors, but is that the issue with this version? I've had multiple monitors for years now, and never had a problem.

I ran Activity Monitor with attention paid to Photoshop last night. Opening PS with three files (around 1GB total) used 3GB RAM. For a half hour, no issues. Then, it spiked to 17GB RAM (it has permissionto use up to 18 GB), and the spinning wheel started up. It stayed, without wavering, at that point, until I restarted it. Did the same thing again. So it's consistently doing this.

(I quite Creative Cloud before experimenting.)

I love PS, but this is very, very frustrating, especially when this is affecting your business.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 21, 2016 Mar 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no... multiple monitors i tested out or at least not enough to stop the zoom lags etc.

In after effects it dramatically helps, but thats because of the gfx card and the role it plays in AE.

Right now, it must be one of the new features or something else. Both the mac and pc versions all have the same bug. So that has to be a clue. Different platforms built with different coding but still produced the same bug on both platform it seems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 24, 2016 Mar 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

updating my lag list:

when doing multiple selections with the selection wand (by holding the shift key in windows), it will make 2 or 3 selections and then freeze; wait about 20 seconds, and the last selection i made will be selected with all other selections forgotten.

rearranging the order of custom spot channels, or dragging one to the trashcan to delete can take up to 20-30 seconds.

as with all the problems i've had, i can open up CC 2014 and the problems go away.

i have tried every setting and workaround suggested in this post's comments.

windows 10

ps CC 2015 latest updates

3.2gh 6 core

12 gig memory

wacom cintique 21ux

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2016 Mar 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, latest photoshop update installed and it laggs or more like freezes for 30 or more seconds when changing tools with shortcut keys. (Windows 8 user).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2016 Apr 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SOLUTION!  I changed my Power settings in the control panel from Energy efficient to "High Performance" and it solved all of my issues; brush lag, slow panning, freezing, delay changing tools, etc.  That said, I'll stick with Photoshop CC.  2015 has a lot of updates that destroy my flow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2016 Apr 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having similar problems recently in regards to the laggy nature of CC 2015. It suddenly got really bad for no reason and was taking 3 to 5 seconds to load dialogue boxes for almost everything I was trying to do. Awful. I just went back to CC2014 and it's magic in comparison. I think I may have to do the same for Illustrator becuase it was acting a little weird as well...

Not good enough really, seeing as we are paying for for this on a monthly basis and I'm here used a version that is 2 years 'inferior'.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2016 Apr 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also experiencing problems with Adobe CC 2015.1.2 (Illustrator and Photoshop)

I've been following the Lynda Illustrator CC 2015 tutorials with the provided illustrator files and am experiencing lag. I have a stock version of CC, with no plugins installed (unless they come pre-installed). The lag occurs when clicking on a menu, and moving from one menu to the next. I can also can see lag when clicking a tool, and then hitting enter to get to the settings. Clicking on paragraph styles seemed to be especially laggy. When I open Photoshop CC 2015.1.2 everything is laggy as well.

Restarting the computer helps return normal function, but then the lag reappears within 2-3 hours of use, and gets worse as I continue to work. I always have several Google Chrome windows open. I tried closing them, and it did not appear to help.

I have not tried the other "fixes" in this thread. There are about 25+ different fixes, and I don't have time to try all of them.

Adobe, you are welcome to fly out to my home in Portland, OR and debug my computer.

- CPU i7-6700K 4.2Ghz

- Motherboard ASUS Z170-A

- CORSAIR RAM PC 19200 DDR4 8GBx4

- SAMSUNG 950 Pro 512GB SSD

- Video PNY Quadro K2200

- MS Windows 10 Pro 64

- ASUS PCE-AC68 Wireless card

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 23, 2016 Apr 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you set up a scratch disk?

Do you have "power saver" enabled?

Try closing ACC when you are doing work and see  if that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2016 Apr 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a scratch disk on the way, because I read that it might help with performance. But now I realize my Efficiency is 100% in Photoshop. And I'm definitely not working with files large enough to really require a scratch disk. I do have 32Gb of RAM and a 50% full 512 Gb SSD drive.

I read earlier in this thread that disconnecting the internet before opening CC programs helps, so I will try that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 25, 2016 Apr 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm just staggered that this issue still exists. I hadn't opened v2015 Photoshop for ages, having long ago reverted to v2014 through absolute necessity (to complete work in time in order to get paid!), and just today opened it to see if all the updates have brought about an improvement. Nope - straight away the lag and spinning wheel issues begin. Shame on you Adobe. I shouldn't need to spend hours trawling through forums looking for solutions and making complicated tweaks to get your app to work. More and more I'm using Affinity against the day that the v2014 is no longer available. I purchased Affinity because of these issues - so guess what Adobe, you are driving business away, not supporting it! Affinity doesn't accomplish all I need, but it does a lot, and what it does it does well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines