• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CC 2015: Separate guide layouts for different artboards?

New Here ,
Jun 17, 2015 Jun 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

I've updated to CC2015 recently and I'm trying to use the new artboard feature. It seems to be great, but I failed to find an answer for this question:

Is it possible to create separate guide layouts for the different artboards in one document?

For example: I have one artboard for a desktop layout, another one for the mobile layout within one file. On the desktop layout I would like to have a 12-column guide layout, on the mobile artboard a 6-column guide layout. Is it possible to create these guides via "new guide layout…"? When I tried it, Photoshop took all artboards as one and created the guides over all of them…

Thanks a lot for your help!

Cheers…

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 19, 2015 Jun 19, 2015

Hi,

This initial release of Artboards in Ps 2015 only includes guides at the document level. We are actively working on addressing some of the issues you mention. We know that many people rely heavily on guides, but we also didn't want to hold up the release of Artboards for those who would use them as they currently are implemented. But guides improvements are very, very high on our backlog of work for Artboards so stay tuned!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 01, 2015 Dec 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just FYI, Photoshop 2015.1 is now available. It has Guides attached to Artboards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2016 Jan 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't find the way to create a new guide neither a new guide layout in more than one artboard, when created it overlaps in the same artboard. Could you help me with this? or is it that "Guides attached to artboards now available" means only the rulers start at zero but all the hard work of positioning guides has to be done by hand?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To apply the guides to one artboard, that artboard has to be selected, then the guides will just be applied to that artboard. You can only do one artboard at a time but the settings in the guide layout are sticky.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Chuck for your response, the problem is that I don't seem to have the 'Target' setting in my 'New Guide Layout' window. I am using a mac computer and my Photoshop is updated with the latest version. Any ideas??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 05, 2016 Jan 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show a screen shot?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2016-01-06 at 9.23.49 AM.png

Here you go, this is how my 'New Guide Layout' window/panel looks like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you updated PS to version 2015.1.1? That looks like an old UI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My PS is 2015.0.0 but in the Creative Cloud app it appears says that i have the latest update, how can I update it if not through CC app??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might need up update your creative cloud app, by reinstalling it. But you can get the direct download for PS here:

All Adobe CC 2015 Updates: The Direct Download Links for Mac OS | ProDesignTools

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks mate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 06, 2016 May 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris,

what about duplicating an artboard with guides in it - the new artboard loses all my existing guides.

Also - the quick export as png seems to work poorly. when i pick a different folder and change the name the files do not export at all. And i do that frequently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 06, 2016 May 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

How are you duplicating your artboard? Try:

(1) Option/Alt click on the plus signs for an artboard. It will duplicate the artboard and it's contents, including the guides which are attached to the artboard.

(2) Option/Alt click-and-drag on the artboard name. Drag the new artboard to a new location. It will have the guides which are attached to the artboard.

If your guides are not attached to your artboard, you probably added them without having the artboard selected at the time you chose "New Guide..." or "New Guide Layout...".

Regarding the quick export as PNG, I recommend you open a new thread on that question. It will be lost in here and I don't have much advice to offer there. But perhaps some other expert user does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2015 Oct 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but pretty sure I called out a frustration point is that I'm still using Guide Guide because adobe can't get their act together...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines