• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CC 2015 won't quit and I can't shutdown my Mac. I tried Force Quit and uninstalling it and still it shows in Force Quit as being open. How do I get it to fully Force Quit?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2015 Aug 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop CC 2015 won't quit and I can't shutdown my Mac. I tried Force Quit and even uninstalled it and still it shows in Force Quit as being open. How do I get it to fully Force Quit?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 07, 2015 Aug 07, 2015

Launch the Terminal and type one of the following commands:

killall [processname]

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not use a Mac but I have had problems  like that on windows with CC 2015 hanging not terminating all the way.  On ,my machine I do not always have the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop application running in the background at all times. I run it when I want to check for updates and if I want to add something that it can add.   My hangs seem related to the desktop application. If I never start that desktop  App cc 2105 would never hang it would terminate.  Starting the desktop app and having it up seem to cause the hangs.  To solve the problem all I need to do is sign out from windows and log back in.  Terminating the hung CC 2015 using the task manager fixes the problem some times. Currently I do not use CC 2015 Adobe needs to fix some of its scripting issues till then I'm back on CC 2014..

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Launch the Terminal and type one of the following commands:

killall [processname]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try the "killall" command next time. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can seem to log out or shut down! I finally had to just hold down the power button on my Mac and force it to shut down. Thanks for responding!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2016 Sep 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Killall did not work for me. Could I get clarity about [processname]

I can 't shut down my computer Mac OS El Capitan version 10.11.6 because Adobe Photoshop CC 2015.5 will not Force Quit.

Hold the Shut Down button did not work either.

I pretty much hate.....such a strong word, but true......Adobe CC suite.  My work flow is hindered by these high rent software programs......give me back a stable program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 24, 2017 Mar 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're having the same problem. I have users who can't force quit Photoshop. 2015 and now 2017. And its not showing up in Activity Monitor to kill it either. We have to FORCE a shut down on the workstation. Anyone know what's causing this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 21, 2017 Jun 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any Solution to this yet...having same issues on our Macs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 31, 2018 Jan 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this post is from sometime ago, but we're experiencing the same problem. But this is in PS CC 2017. Regardless of what we try, we cannot kill Photoshop. Anyone have a definitive answer as to what the heck is going on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2018 Mar 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

It happened to me several times In Photoshop CS6 and CC 2015. Couldn't kill it with any of the options listed above. Had to do the forced Shut Down.

Happened again, and this time...after killing all the Adobe services in Activity Monitor, I have tried something else.

I have tried to Log Out of OS X. After a couple of failed attempts, because of the hanging PS (clicked "retry" a couple of times) I've successfully log out of OS X...and after logging back in the PS was killed and could open it back up.

It's crazy anyway wasting all this time with this bug.

Hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2020 May 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi everybody,

A really annoying issue here. Here is my accidental solution:

1. Force quit didn't quit
2. Shut Down didn't shut down

3. Log Out didn't log out

4. Then I tried Lock Screen (screen lock worked)

After the lock screen when I tried to log back in Log Out happened. I put my password the second time and I logged in and the PS was gone. 

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines