• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CC 2017 Unusable slow

Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2016 Nov 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded my Photoshop to CC 2017 today and since the upgrade it has been very very slow. When I click on File menu the dropdown menu appears like after 3-4 seconds. When I delete layer it take about 10 second. Zoom in and out are terribly slow. I work on Photoshop everyday hope to get the problem resolve as soon as possible.

Is there a way to downgrade to earlier version?

My computer details:

Windows 10 Pro

Processor: Intel i7-5960X

RAM: 32 GB

Graphic: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti

SSD

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 403 Replies 403
Community Expert ,
Dec 13, 2016 Dec 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried you example.

On my machine there is no lag at all unless I am missing something.

So is it a bug on your machine and not mine, or is it a issue with your machine and not mine.

People need to put this in perspective. My not having issues does not help your situation. I understand that.

My personal opinion is that it is due to third party developer CPU integer instruction code that is being used.

Can I  prove it? No But so far there is no common denominator out there that effect peoples machines the way the software is effecting them.

BTW your "task manager" results are meaning less if you don't assign CPU processor allocations.

james michaelsen’s Videos on Vimeo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My personal opinion is that it is due to third party developer CPU integer instruction code that is being used.

Well, when the only thing that has changed is the CC version, then perhaps Adobe should buy a front page ad at the Times telling all other manufactures in the world about their change to the type tool.

Give me a break. A manufacturer getting their software to work with a computer running other software is kind of a standard expectation.

Perhaps Adobe bit off more than it can chew. Or, maybe this is the new way - as we go forward, people will have to eventually have a PC JUST for Adobe CC.

I'm getting tired of Adobe. I had to throw away a perfectly good GTX 960 because newer Premiere decided to not support it, so I got a $2k Quadro. Now, I have to uninstall all my other software because Photoshop text tool?

No thanks. Would rather retire than deal with this continual BS from Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excuse me? So Adobe was supposed to stick with the performance limits

that a GTX 960 had?

They should have checked with you first? You could have used the GTX 960

if you really had to.

And don't lecture me about video cards. I use a Nvidia Quadro 6000 due

to Premiere Pro app requirements. That was my choice. Nobody twisted my arm.

/_"I had to throw away a perfectly good GTX 960 because newer Premiere

decided to not support it, so I got a $2k Quadro"._/

I am no fanboy of Adobe products, buts some of the postings here have

been hilarious_/./_/_

_/

At least Adobe staff is here trying to help. Wonder how much help MS

will provide you if they lock up your machine due to a OS update./_

_/

J/_

_/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excuse me? So Adobe was supposed to stick with the performance limits

that a GTX 960 had?

Seemed to work dandy in the previous version of Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I think I had the 980. Anyway, the only thing that changed was Adobe's software. Sound familiar? Maybe I need to toss my Quadro M5000 and get the P6000 for Photoshop? Is that it?

You think having me toss the $700 GTX is a good business move on Adobe's part? Like for some reason Adobe couldn't make it work, even though it worked on the immediately previous version? Users that shelled out good money need to bend and not Adobe?

But, what am I going to do? It's a subscription. It seems like they now only support one previous version (and who knows if that gets security updates).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Terri,

I've been a fan of Adobe and Adobe's products for many years. I started using Photoshop, when it was in version 4. But I have to agree with JacekPuzio and the other users when I say CC 2017 is a big disappointment. And it ins't just photoshop, but many of the other applications as well. Illustrator, Dreamweaver, and Audition are all unusable in this new version as well. I also use After Effects a lot, and it is much slower than the 2015 version. The upgrade claimed that it would run much faster and more efficient. The only reason that I've not switched AE back, is I don't want to restart my project.

So I have to state, today I'm less of a fan than I was. I hope that Adobe get's it together and fixes these problems. But I'm getting really frustrated with the lack of support that we get out of Adobe these days. As I view these posts, I know that it isn't only me who feels the frustration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Rob.

The trouble with this forum is folks only tend to post when they have a problem and that can create a very unbalanced impression of the software. Your post shows CC2017 when setup correctly and without interference from other products does work well.

My system is like yours in that I just have Windows 10, the full Creative Cloud Suite and Office 365. If I want to run other software I'll use a virtual machine. I know everyone wants to run 50 apps off the same machine but it comes back to haunt you with conflicts. Now that software has got so complicated, for business use we are going to have to, I fear, go to more dedicated systems with strict rules about what can be installed or not. I can't complain about CC2017 as it worked straight out of the box for me-even though it doesn't come in a box any more lol

Having said that, it's not an ideal world and the forum is here to help everyone with this problem and as long as they are open to troubleshooting and have not given up completely, we will continue to forward new ideas and suggestions.

rob_ashcroft wrote:

I used to be a developer on an IBM main-frame system and things were relatively simple.

I think you are probably being modest about developing for relatively simple mainframes but I get what you mean.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you think about test with Type tool I suggested to Rob, and results of it posted by Rob on page 7?

It is very interesting, especially for those who says that problem doesn't exist. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Terri,

I'm sorry, but that is an unrealistic expectation.

As a consultant, I work for various companies, usually on their equipment. These companies expect you to do the work they hired you to do on one PC. They will install the tools that you need to do it, (Most of the time) but they will not provide a dedicated PC for each software package. In addition, not many people can afford to by multiple PCs and operating systems just to have a dedicated platform for each product.

No, the Adobe software has to be able to play well with other software installed on a machine. If it can't do that, then it is time for some new software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree! Unless Adobe is going to supply a machine with every subscription then they need to make the software work. Asking users to have dedicated systems or having to run virtual machines for every software package is just ridiculous and unusable. Regardless of what is being said as some are experiencing no issues, there is a major problem with this release!

Adobe should acknowledge this and take steps to correct. We as paying customers should not have to do this work for them. My team should not have to take up their time or corporate time to troubleshoot someone else's product. We have enough on our plates as it is and take customer concerns seriously as well as act on them.

The fact that this thread has gone on for since November 6 with no public acknowledgement by Adobe that there are problems tells me a great deal about how Adobe views it's client base. Perhaps time to look at options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DStrobl wrote:

Regardless of what is being said as some are experiencing no issues, there is a major problem with this release! Adobe should acknowledge this and take steps to correct.

Some bugs in the new release might be a major problem for some users in terms of the consequential effect it has on their production etc. But that doesn't mean the whole system is useless, it just means that some users are experiencing some bugs, and yes, Adobe need to fix them. It seems clear to me that if you have a well set-up good spec machine with not too much else running then PS runs fine. Mine does.

I never buy or upgrade anything unless it has been out there for some time, to allow for any faults to be sorted. I only upgraded to CC2017 yesterday. I bought a new car this year that has been out for several years. I was nearly tempted by the Samsung S7 phone earlier this year, but resisted (battery problem). All manufacturers want to get new stuff out there as it increases their revenue stream and profits, but sometimes you have to be a little bit cautious and not be tempted to have the very latest thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob,

If it takes 15 minutes to open a 125 kb .png file from a desktop location with an upgrade then I would say, that is a

major issue. Nothing on my corporate machine had changed other than moving from 2015 to 2017. The whole idea of having Creative Cloud was to get new versions when they were ready for release. This product was not ready for release.

I haven't even tried to discuss other issues which people are commenting on and I do agree some issue will be user specific however if nothing has changed on my machine other than the upgrade software, then chances are (and history has proved), that it is likely the new piece of software! That being said, if I stay with Adobe, I will not be an early adopter in the future. I'll let others go through the hassles and wait for current version - 1!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DStrobl wrote:

Rob,

If it takes 15 minutes to open a 125 kb .png file from a desktop location with an upgrade then I would say, that is a

major issue. Nothing on my corporate machine had changed other than moving from 2015 to 2017. The whole idea of having Creative Cloud was to get new versions when they were ready for release. This product was not ready for release.

I haven't even tried to discuss other issues which people are commenting on and I do agree some issue will be user specific however if nothing has changed on my machine other than the upgrade software, then chances are (and history has proved), that it is likely the new piece of software! That being said, if I stay with Adobe, I will not be an early adopter in the future. I'll let others go through the hassles and wait for current version - 1!

CC2017 makes more use of GPU Acceleration than CC2015-that might sound minor but is a major change and may account for something in connection with your problem. Nobody should upgrade allowing the new version to replace the old, instead use the 'Advanced' install option and opt to keep the previous version, that way you get the best of both worlds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again mine like many users machines, is a corporate locked down machine with NO admin rights. The only option is to click the update button on Creative Cloud and cross your fingers and I don't care what they have done as far as GPU acceleration, no way should a program, any program for that matter, take 15 minutes to open a 125 kb file. I could do that on my first laptop that didn't even have a hard drive!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you opening it up from a network drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, local desktop and even if it was a network file, 125kb not even a meg. How many images have you worked on that are that small?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave,

I knew that comment would provoke a reaction lol As a consultant you will know that computers are at their very best 2 minutes after the OS is installed and are never as fast as that again. Once you start loading software it simply slows the thing down and if you are unlucky you get conflicts. As far as I can see the only solution is to have a very restricted set of software fully tested from a couple of companies. I know this plays into the hands of the big companies like Adobe and Microsoft but for a business you want reliability and speed and not to have to come to the Adobe forum. I bet you if everyone here with a sluggish Photoshop just had CC2017 and Office then Adobe would have reproduced this problem ages ago and have a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Terri,

I think you misunderstood me. I'm a consultant, yes, but not an IT consultant. I'm an Instructional and graphical designer. And although I do have a strong technical background as well, I'm not a programmer either. And no, I don't know that computers are best 2 minutes after the OS is installed. I've had many machines that I've run for several years with no issues. The biggest issues that I've had is not installing software packages, but the recent updates from both Adobe and Microsoft in their effort to move us to a cloud based society, where we can't use our software unless we are connected to the internet. Each addition that adds more tracking and adware continues to slow down everything that we do. I depend on this software to make my living. I spend a lot of money on it. I expect it to work with out requiring me to jump through an unreasonable amount of hoops just to satisfy Adobe's marketing strategy. If I can't use this to do my job, then maybe I can better use my money somewhere else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The trouble with this forum is folks only tend to post when they have a problem and that can create a very unbalanced impression of the software.

There is a well known ancient Chinese proverb:

Moving to subscription-only brings with it a higher level of scrutiny.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gishnetwork wrote:

The trouble with this forum is folks only tend to post when they have a problem and that can create a very unbalanced impression of the software.

There is a well known ancient Chinese proverb:

Moving to subscription-only brings with it a higher level of scrutiny.

Is that a quote from AdobeFucious?. I think what brings the scrutiny is the web with hundreds of people accessing these forums and revealing the flaws-that helps everyone in the end and is a good thing.

As an ACP I'm probably biased but here on the Photoshop forum we solve over 95% of OP's problems even when some users are not speaking in English and quite often don't know how to describe their problem -which is often hard to put into words-so I'm not being patronising. In the case of the sluggishness problem progress is slow. Adobe employees do follow this thread as it's clearly a very active one but I think they probably need to comply with company rules and not make statements unless there is something to formally say. I know it may look as if nothing is happening, but Adobe do offer remote desk-topping direct to your computers and are offering a home visit to anyone with the problem in their part of California. Pete and Adam have been working for weeks to model the problem so it is being taken seriously, but you can't prove a negative and until one of their machines shows the behaviour it will be difficult to track down. This is why it is so important end users publish system configurations, Event logs, Task Manager displays or Activity Monitor on the Mac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only time I actually delete posts is when they are duplicates.  When posts are abusive I edit out the nasty stuff and leave a comment, and if it is bad enough , send a PM asking them to behave.  The other mods I know of here are Chuck Benjamin and Gene, and there are others I can't remember the names of.  AFAIK, it is very unlikely that a post will be deleted.  Even some of Ramon's (Station_2) tirades are still there to be found even after he was banned.

Something else I have just remembered is obvious SPAM, but I personally don't delete those.  Just reject them and leave them in the mod queue.  I think someone like Madison might clear those up, or maybe scary Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My comment was not a spam, and did not included abusive language.

Just constructive opinion about solutions recommended by support in this topic.

Anyway, my comment is no longer available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is Scary Dave still here? I thought he'd gone to haunt some other parish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do Adobe expect us to carry on paying our CC plans when the software isn't fit for purpose?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To all:

Guess you haven't gotten the notice of the Photoshop 2017 update.

On a Mac - check and see if you have version 18.0.1, created 12/13 at 0723 EST. On MY Mac, about 80% faster for the first opening.

I haven't inspected the full package for date comparison with backup, but things are running so much faster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines