Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CC 2018 Brush lag

Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I updated PS yesterday and everytjing was fine, but today suddenly I got big brush lags. With smoothing on or off, no difference.

Lag gets even worse while zooming above 50%.

I've restarted preferences and PC and nothing happens.

I'm losing half a day trying to figure it out and its really nervous situation. Any ideas how to fix it?

Windows 7, 16 GB RAM, GTX 970, Intel i5 4570

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Try to set smoothing to 0% on normal brush and then back to healing brush

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

SOLVED THE PROBLEM

It looks like Adobe, if I'm not mistaken, added a new option in the 2019 version and by default, it's on. What worked for me is turning off "Enable Preserve Details 2.0 Upscale" under the Technology Preview preference. Let me know if this works for you guys.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 218 Replies 218
New Here ,
Jan 01, 2018 Jan 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I did, I turned of the smoothing found in "brush setting" then "brush tip shape" then set the spacing to 7%. It worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2018 Jan 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem,nothing seems to work. I contacted adobe online support twice, they´ve checked everything that was possible to check and still doesn´t work. Smooth on or off, it´s the same. I downgraded it to 2017 version (the last version it worked fine) and to my surprise, I had the same issue . So what now? I need it to be fixed, I have clients that are waiting, I lost two days of work trying to fix this and not even Adobe support can give me a solution.

Around 2015 I contacted adobe for an issue I was having with Ps. It was different from this but the solution was right and I think that the solution here it might be the same: first they asked me to delete some adobe log from one of the system folders (can´t remember now) then, they asked me to install the previous version and It worked. So...? I can´t think of any other solution. I did everything  that was in this forum and the only idea is to go backto 2017 version and make it work by intaling Adobe CC 2017 or doing something like I did in 2015.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 03, 2018 Jan 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this (from another thread about poor PS performance):  "Delete the AAMUpdater folder and the OOBE folder in the C:\Users\[your user name\AppData\Local\Adobe folder. You may not be able to completely delete the AAMUpdater folder, as AAM is running. I then did a reinstall of the AAM, actually, since it was installed, and I just deleted part of it, It gave me an option to repair it, which I did."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2018 Jan 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm leaving this here as an extra info for the staff. My problem was a really annoying a few second delay on brush strokes and if I wouldn't move the brush at all it would not leave anything on the paper even with build up turned on. Disabling smoothing fixed it for me and at least with a very short test it seems to run like a dream. This problem started only recently, after re-installing my entire pc - I had the PS CC 2018 running even in the last one too with smoothing on 10% with no problems.

I have Cintiq 27QHD + an Asus monitor + PS CC 2018 with all the current updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 18, 2018 Jan 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

anna-mariau93674430  wrote

I'm leaving this here as an extra info for the staff.

Hi Anna.  No Adobe staff here. You can leave comments on the Feedback site, if you want to get information to the development team.  Jeff Tranberry and others follow that site.

Photoshop Family Customer Community

If you search that site for 'brush lag 2018' you'll find a few hits.

FWIIW, I am using three large screens, Windows 10, and an Intuos4, and I never have any lag issues.  I work with rulers turned on.

My system is a six year old 3930K with 32Gb memory.  Until two days ago it had a GTX970, but I had to remove that because it is going in a new 7900X build, so I am now using a GTX570.  While things like Select & Mask are not working well with the old GPU, I have absolutely no difference regards brush lag.

The test we use is to create a 30,000 x 30,000 pixel document, and run a 5000 pixel fully hard brush with spacing set to 1% from corner to corner.  This takes 31 seconds with the GTX970, and is two seconds slower with the GTX570.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2018 Jan 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Preferences > Performance > Graphics Processor Settings > Advanced Settings >  Set Drawing Mode: Basic

This allows you to us minimal resources from your graphics card and should still allow you to use the rotate canvas, which is something I can't live with out, while getting rid of that annoying brush lag.

Also, remember to restart photoshop to make these settings take affect.

I hope this helped

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even in CC 2017 that doesn't works neither.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just worked on a issue with this problem. I turned off the "Open Cl" in advance graphics settings and restarted PS and it worked. Can anyone confirm this as a potential fix for brush lag?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2018 Jan 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most of the time, switching off all advanced graphics all together works. I've only had this issue on older machines with newer versions of CC.

I wish I had stuck with my old Wacom drivers, Windows 7 and CS6. Those were a good few years of no issues or workarounds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2018 Jan 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I'm still having the brush tool problem (both of them) and I'm seeing it now on my friends MacBook too. Now I haven't used the 2018 update since the first solution was to reinstall 2017 which works fine for me, but I think the whole Adobe CC 2018 update is having bugs, like pictures and text glitching in InDesign, files not opening and so on.

So when is there an actual real solution coming from you (Adobe) guys coming? that patch did not work for me or others.

Kind Regards,

Yailan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 14, 2018 Jan 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have almost the same set up as the very first post and original question i this thread but i have two monitors. As soon as i disabled the multi display and worked on the one monitor, volla instant fix! Thanks Spectroplasm for the full break down.

No other solution worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2018 Jan 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome, I'm glad it worked out for you. I have recently tested out a Wacom Cintiq and the problem is the same, I'm certain now it's a multi monitor issue and not just an option to turn off in the brush smoothing. On a single monitor only setup brush smoothing is left on by default and everything works flawlessly.
For people having problems on their PCs and they are running on single monitors, try checking if:

1: you have Optimus enabled PCs, if yes, try configuring Photoshop to use the nvidia card.

2: if you have dual cards in your system try disabling one to see if it helps.

3: if you are on a desktop and have an integrated card try disabling in in Bios and only use the discreet gfx card.

If we can narrow this down it might help the guys over at Adobe to supply a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 15, 2018 Jan 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It wasn't just the "spot healing brush" i was having issues with. Playing of actions that normally Zip through, chundered away and patch tools, pretty much a slow down all over. Described as laggy..

(20/01/2018) EDIT - As of today I am now experiencing "lag" again, single screen is not fixing the issue! Ill keep an eye on this thread to say how it pans out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 26, 2018 Jan 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New update seems to fixed the issue? You ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Allow me to throw my hat into the ring with this ridiculous brush lag.  Adobe is just nauseating as a company.  Call in and talk to overseas nincompoops who are just reading things off a screen.  Tried all the above, and nothing works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Going back to 15.5.  THE last known working version of this program.  Anyone who has touched it since then should be fired.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2018 Jan 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to troubleshoot this too.

I'm trying to turn off all gestures (within in Wacom software) and within Photoshop.  I've turned off General/Tools/Enable Gestures and General/Tools/Rich Tool Tips and it seems to be helping. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

seems now ive updated the latest CC release my problems are solved, you could try that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It helped me! I had more problems than tool lag and it helped me with all the lagging! Whew!

Moving smoothing to 0% never worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2018 Jan 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New patch did not help for me, I still have the lag.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 07, 2018 Feb 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im noticing other odd glitches now, crashing when using the line selection tool and weird glitches with using the hand tool (move) too.

Anyone else or is this just me?

Going to try and screen cap my issues. In the mean time this morning ive noticed in my CPU monitor that my CPU is running at half speed?? which is no doubt another and separate issue..  But all of this since the adobe fixes and upgrades of late. Seems like a cluster F to me.

I cant even work now, i get huge delays from trying to select options in drop downs and the ongoing issues are getting me down...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2018 Feb 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solution:

Turn to Photoshop 2017 till adobe fix it in 2018.

Many losted days and is the only way.

Juanma

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2018 Feb 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My situation appeared to be adobe but....

I had my tech guy take a look at my system.  We can only think a Windows update caused my  system to alter some drivers. It changed the CPU usage to throttle to half power. Discovered this is the windows CPU monitor. We fixed by getting all the latest drivers from teh Mobo site. Changed the Bios back to default, settings, then rebooted again. Then changed the bios back to all my previous settings and im running back at my over clock rate again. I have honestly no idea how long my machine had been running at 1.6 Ghz now its back at 3.8 again. Photoshop seems sweet again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2018 Feb 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Best solution is to switch back to Adobe CC 2017 and wait until Adobe CC 2018 is fixed or until CC 2019 is released

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2018 Mar 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got the CC 2018 running on two systems - an older one and a brand new workstation.
It's not the system - this is for sure - because everything worked flawless until I installed the CC2018 version.
I recently had the feeling that also the whole system might lag in general - other apps as well - and this occured right after I installed the 2018 version.

However - I really am sick of all those solutions like "turn off this and switch on this"
I am paying for a program to use as is. I am paying for a programm to make money. I use a high end software to work with and fulfil deadlines and such things.
I am not paying to become a beta tester.
I rather stick with the same version for years before I have to use a buggy version.

I just switched back to CC 2017 and guess what? The lag is gone!

No lag with brush strokes, no lag with moving elements...

Please ADOBE - FIX your software!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines