Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CC 2019 Brush Opacity Issue

New Here ,
Aug 01, 2019 Aug 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

Is anyone else having a problem with a 100% opacity brush when using a layer mask?

In the 2019 Photoshop, whenever I brush in a mask (i.e. using a white brush to make the layer visible) with a 100% brush, it never seems to be 100% opaque. Even when I accidentally brush over parts that are already 100% opaque with a 100% opaque white brush, it makes those parts a tiny bit transparent. It only seems to happen when I'm brushing in the mask (making parts fully visible and opaque), but if I'm brushing out (using a black brush to make the layer invisible), it seems perfectly fine.

I've checked all my pressure, flow and opacity settings but perhaps I'm missing something. I've never had this problem before (I've been using Photoshop since 2010) and I'd hope the new PS wouldn't make something so simple so hard to adjust, but who knows.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you certain the mask layer you are brushing into is set to 100% opacity?

fix.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeff! Appreciate the response

Yes, I am quite certain. As mentioned, I only seem to have this problem when making the layer mask "white" (visible). As soon as I use a black brush to make parts of the layer invisible, I have no problems with transparency.

I've been having this problem since March (when I started using Photoshop 2019) and have worked on a variety of different files so unless there is an odd setting that I'm unaware of, my only conclusion is that there's something buggy going on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you make sure you are using a 100% white brush? Does your mask layer have an adjustment mode on it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely 100%, definitely no adjustments on either the layer, mask or brush. Even when I do apply an adjustment mode to the layer mask, I can see that the mask is still not 100% "opaque", i.e. if I accidentally brush over visible areas with a 100% opaque, hard white brush, it turns that part a bit transparent. So odd.

But honestly, I mostly wanted to know if anyone else was experiencing this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to duplicate your issue but I can't. I thought I did for a moment but realized I was using a grey brush instead of a white one.

Can you create a new PS doc, place an image in it (say, the Adobe logo), add a new layer on top that is simply a black fill, apply a layer mask to it, invert it, then attempt to brush white into the mask?

Then take a screenshot of your entire Photoshop window, like below:

fix.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

You have checked the Brush opacity and the colors are pure white and black (type “D” to confirm).

Check these:

• Layer opacity 100%
  • Lay fill 100%
  • Blending mode for the layer
  • Blending mode for the brush
  • Flow for the brush

If you still don’t see it, we’ll need screen shots.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2022 Jun 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this problem now. Can't figure it out. The brush opacity is 100%. The layer opacity is 100% For some reason it looks like it's only doing 50%.Photoshop-Transparancy.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 28, 2022 Jun 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Can you uncheck shape dynamics in the bottom right window?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2020 Mar 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Following. I am having the same issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 11, 2020 Mar 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please follow my instructions above and duplicate your issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When Jeff says "pure white and black",  click the "Set foreground color" box.  Check the hex code (the box to the right of the '#' symbol.  For pure white, ensure the code is:   ffffff      For pure black, ensure the code is:  000000

Screenshot 2020-12-15 at 21.04.59.png       Screenshot 2020-12-15 at 21.06.44.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this. 

Click the "Set foreground color" box.  Check the hex code (the box to the right of the '#' symbol).  For pure white, ensure the code is:   ffffff     

Additionally, to ensure the background is pure black, click "Set background color" box and ensure the hex code is:  000000

Screenshot 2020-12-15 at 21.04.59.png    Screenshot 2020-12-15 at 21.06.44.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2022 May 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if this has been resolved for you - I just came accross this thread while haveing the same problem.

Under Brush Settings I found that Wet Edges was active. Unchecking this solved the problem for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines