• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop crashes and freezes

Community Beginner ,
Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whatever I try, which ever update I try, the latest PS will only start up with a beach ball and that ever since version 22.x

On a MBA 2020 Big Sur 11.4 I7 16GB

What I tried:

- deleted preferences

- uninstalled and reinstalled

- reverted to version 21.X well that worked but updating results in the same crash.

What to do next?

{Thread title edited by moderator}

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Jul 23, 2021 Jul 23, 2021

Hi all,

We're sorry for the crash issue. Take a look at the following troubleshooting article and try the first 6 simple steps that can help you resolve most of the crash and freeze issues with Photoshop:  Troubleshoot crash or freeze | Photoshop

If that doesn't help then, take a look at the other troubleshooting tips section.

Let us know your feedback.

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Sep 24, 2021 Sep 24, 2021

I have students who are running into the same problems.

Does anyone know where I can find this script to run on a Windows PC?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 332 Replies 332
Explorer ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mohit, thanks for trying to help, but I’m still getting nowhere with this problem. As a result, I’ve barely used Photoshop for the last 3 months, which is annoying seeing as though I’m paying every month to have it.

Anyway, I’ve updated both Photoshop and my iMac OS a number of times to the latest versions; I’ve tried running the Creative Cloud Cleaner (I saw that recommended in another thread); I’ve turned off the Graphics Processor, as you’ve suggested, but it still keeps crashing!! Every time it crashes I get a coloured spinning wheel and I have to force quit, so there’s no option to see what the crash log is (which, following the steps from the link you provided, is enabled).

As an artist who uses Photoshop regularly to paint with, this problem is BEYOND annoying and, as a result, I’ve gotten very little done since Christmas. It seems there are a number of other people who are sadly having the same trouble.

Hope you can help,

Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is beyond ridiculous ADOBE!! Shame on you for putting your long-time customer's livelihoods at risk during a time when so many creatives are barely able to make ends meet. The creative community made you what you are, and you have us out in the cold. We are all experiencing the very same issues of the app crashing every few minutes or even seconds from trying to do the same simple tasks I used to do. Picking a color? Crash. Using the pencil tool? Crash. It's not our systems, it's your app! It was working fine before the latest versions! Months of payments sent in for an unusable product!! I repeat. Months of payments sent in for an unusable product!! You are ruining any brand loyalty you had left each and every day this problem persists. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2021 Mar 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel the same way!  Come on Adobe.  WTF!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 11, 2021 Jul 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is just ridiculous how Adobe is ignoring this problem, I already have tried EVERTHING and nothing works. I'm pretty sure they know this and just don't care, after all I'm with this issue for 4 months already, in the beggining it only crashed when I was using the brush tool, now I can barely do anything. It is beyond disrespectful Adobe posture regarding this, I'm paying for a product that just doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just started having this issue and have submitted crash reports. No GPU selected and have uninstalled and reinstalled. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 01, 2021 Jul 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kill me now.. latest updates... my photoshop crashes every 7 moves. July1st 2021.

Big Sur 11.2.1

I have never had photoshop work this badly since 2000. (yes, I am an old timer.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2021 Jul 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine isn't even opening on mac OS Catalina 10.15.7

Illustrator and InDesign opens, but Photoshop, their main known app, is attempting but failing. Definitely will not spend my money on an app that isn't starting....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried cropping seven different photos and each time Phooshop crashes! Is there a fix???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop is nearly useless for me as well.

Windows 10, Photoshop 22.3, uninstalled/reinstalled.

I can open a jpg, but the moment I try to crop, PS freezes. Today I was able to erase a good portion of a background, yet as I was nearing completion, PS crashed entirely. I can't access Preferences. Any Preference selection I try to make gives me an error message "Could not complete the General command because of a program error", etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2021 Mar 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel your pain. I have chatted with adobe help and had them take over my computer to fix creative cloud which kept logging me in and out or crashing all together over and over for 2 weeks. That fix lasted only one week and here I am again searching for a way to fix this... it's really unacceptable. It's costing me time and money as a freelance graphic designer, plus I am also in college again an it's exam time! I seriously do not have 2 hours a day to waste dealing with this over and over again. I am on a Mac with big sur so I hope they get this sorted shortly cause my patience is gone. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2021 Mar 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very painful.  SO FRUSTRATING

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 14, 2021 Apr 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running Big Sur 11.2.3 and Photoshop 2021 was totally up to date (installed latest update) still kept crashing. Have gone back to 2020 21.2.7 version (availible on CC) have also gone back to 2020 in illustrator as 2021 was giving me grief as well. All apps working okay. Clearly 2021 is a complete clusterf**k. More a work around so I can at least get some work done - certainly not a fix or what we are paying for. Seems the best idea may be to wait until 2022 is released then move up to 2021...... : /

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here, uninstalled 2021 version as it is way too unstable. Keeps crashing during random moments, losing progress. I feel like Adobe is too busy adding features instead of fixing bugs / making the core perform.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2021 Apr 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same here. uninstalled the latest version and installed the previous one, its working ok for now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, me too, except for some reason in my custom workspace I can't seem to get channels to turn on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having similar issues.  Photoshop has been crashing non-stop for the past week.  I generally use it in conjunction with Lightroom and it crashes either as soon as I launch it or when I try to run an action.  It's been frustrating, considering I have multiple projects that need to be completed in the next week.  I have been sending crash reports to Adobe - and am using Big Sur on an iMac.  Any help appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same rubbish here. 
Have an iMac running Big Sur 11.3.1 2020. 
Using Photoshop 22.3.1

I open a file, try to do some work and it just restarts the computer. 

So I can't send the bug reports. 

So frustrating. Can't someone at Adobe spend a week on their own software on the the latest software to see these bugs. 

I might as well quit being a designer because it's like a builder trying to build a house with no tools, cement or bricks at the moment. 

I prefer the old days where you just bought a hard copy, none of this subscription stuff. Saving to "A cloud" like everything else... I don't like clouds, I like clear sky's and sunshine. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've managed to catch it on video. 
It crashes on 42 seconds. And then the rest of the video is it rebooting.

I left it on mute as I swore a few times. 

https://youtu.be/7S593i3ztd4

is this what happens to everyone else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having the same issues as everyone else......
I am running Big Sur 11.3.1 and the latest Photoshop and illustrator CC Apps. Both programs began crashing while I was working, then with the 11.3.1 update they crashed at the launch screen

I spent approx 14 hours with different Adobe support front desk staff. I also allowed them to remotely access my computer and we got nowhere. Finally I got to speak to a senior engineer. What we discovered is that the apps actually worked in safe mode. This lead to the thinking that it must be an issue with MacOS. I contacted Apple and the advice I got was to erase my harddrive and do a clean install

I backed up Time Machine erased the disc, and reinstalled Big Sur. I migrated my backup from Time machine , rebooted and the same problem occurred. I again erased the hardrive (making sure it was not creating ghost drives) and reinstalled Big Sur - BUT THIS TIME I DID NOT MIGRATE ANYTHING FROM TIME MACHINE. I did a clean reinstall of the apps and they work perfectly. I have loaded my DXO, Topaz and Luminar apps and had no problems.......

I'm too scared to migrate anything so will just have to rebuild things as I go........hope this helps someone.......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I uninstalled the latest version and been using the previous one (22.2.0) for about a month now,with almost no problems since then. Maybe a crash here and there, but its working great (comparing to the latest, wich doesnt even run on my machine)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply. 

It started happening while using the latest version. 
I then tried the oldest version they had which kept happening and then I went to 22.2.0

I'll give the other versions a go but I can't see it fixing the problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay - after my last update it crashed again. I sent it off to Apple to see if there was any hardware (CPU) issues.....nothing. They recommended going back to Catalina - the issue is Officially macOS Big Sur which has been engineered by someone using crayons.......... : (

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thing is, the latest version is m1 native, right? I'm using a m1 mb air, and can't even open it without crashing

is it working properly on other m1 machines?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry - I'm using Intel, and their in lies the problem.....which is why they are saying (for Intel) go back to Catalina. They tried to be all things (Intel and M1) with Big Sur and failed miserably......would never have happened on Steve Jobs watch.......... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 11, 2021 Jul 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Catalina and having the same issue 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines